Declan Rice

• Got a few hundred left to spend. I’m very keen on Declan Rice. He’s £1.73 seems to have lots of links with Chelsea and Arsenal. Also won West Ham player of the year!

Hes young and English. Would people recommend? I’ve got some Rhian Brewster this morning, an I’m waiting to buy young English players.

• @Bezz82 i picked up Rice a month back links to Chelsea and his age seemed like a decent chance for some profit

• I don’t know how this guy is forging a career as a midfielder, he’s terrible every time I watch him. £1.73 for a guy who isn’t a play maker and is poor on the ball whenever he plays for England. He’s really not for me, I’ll stick to my special fried, rather than Declan. Phillips from Leeds is Atleast twice the player IMO

• @ChazFI123 funny how opinions vary. I support West Ham and the bloke is different class. Doesn’t do anything flashy but always in the right place at the right time. Reads the game superbly. Exactly what you want from a defensive midfielder shielding the back four.
    Agree he was poor in the England game against the Czech Republic I think but so we’re about half a dozen or more. He was made the scapegoat cos the media can’t have a go at their favourites.

• @JonesyFI-WH thats my whole point, that’s all he can do, at a big club you need to be able to receive the ball off the back 4 and dictate the play. Which he can’t do, which is why he looks poor when he plays for England, he won’t make it in a team that dominates the ball IMO. He loses runners way too often in midfield, Liverpool game was a prime example of it. I could be wrong here but has West Ham’s fortunes gone down hill since he’s been moved into midfield?

• @ChazFI123 I guess we will see who is right when he does move to a big club. I see him week in week out and he is usually the best player on the pitch for us. Plus he’s 21 so he’s got loads of time before he reaches his peak. He only converted from a centre half to a holding midfielder a couple of years ago and with more development he will be one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League IMO.

Bit harsh to single out a game against a team who are 25pts clear of the rest. Not sure many midfielders in world football wouldn’t get moved all over the park by Liverpool!

• I held him but sold . Not an index player in my opinion.. he’s like Kalvin Phillips I held him doubled my money and got out with profit .. don’t think there dividends winners

• @JonesyFI-WH @ChazFI123 Just a thought of how he plays, and the Liverpool mention from Chaz, whose to say he won't walk in the shoes of Henderson??????

• @Gary-T don’t get me wrong he’s young so obviously he can improve I just don’t see the appeal. Yeah maybe Liverpool, I think the Chelsea rumours make a fair bit of sense, best mates with mount, came from Chelsea I think and wouldn’t surprise me if one of Kante or Jorginho left

• He's been bambi on ice since the whole England/Ireland shit show. I dunno, I think West Ham is a bit too much pressure for a young player, it's a bit too toxic to spread your wings and fly.

Interested to hear @Munchie63 's opinion on Rice, as a West Ham boy

• I see Jack Wiltshire is extolling the virtues of Declan Rice this morning (19/4/2020). Says he is the best young player in the premiership. Make of that what you will.

For transparency I’m holding Declan Rice

• FWIW it’s worth I see rice as a reincarnation of the joker that is mr Eric dier.
    Totally unjustified hype as a young player breaking through. Gets somehow in the international fold but cracks begin to appear in some performances against decent opposition. A liability in position and this gets worked out by opposition mangers . As a long term fit at midfield sadly passes the eye test ... not techinicalky good enough and not fast enough across the ground to moo up threats ... only thing going for him but is that he is 21 reckon, his status and rep will slowly diminish and will regret declaring for England .
    His international career would have lasted longer with Ireland due to very limited competition .
    Will never be close to kante or Henderson class and my advice would be get shot .... a nothing player .
    West ham should cash in if some lunatic was willing to pay big money. Spurs missed out offloading that lump dier to United when they had the chance. Reckon they couldn’t get rid now on a free.

Ps I hold no shares of mr rice and never will.

• For what it's worth, I think Rice looks like an excellent prospect. Was West Ham's best defender when he played at the back and still one of their best players since moving to the middle. He's disciplined, reads the game well (not many of his age show that kind of match intelligence) and helps give the full backs license to get forward (especially important when playing with a back four). Plus decent tackler, good in the air and keeps it simple. I know he's being linked with Chelsea and Man U but would love to see him at Arsenal (unlikely I appreciate!).

• I know this is just personal preference, but when looking at a proper holding midfielder I tend to take a look at the defensive returns of the side. West Ham joint second worst defence in the league, I’m not saying it’s Rice’s fault they concede so many, but if he was that great at reading the game would they concede so many?

For example look at the effect Kante had on the Leicester defence, and now the difference it makes for Leicester when Ndidi plays. It’s just something I personally look at, I do the same with potential defenders and how many yellow cards they get for example

• @Lukeroro
    Talented young player. Playing in a team low on confidence can't help him, but he has been one of the most consistent players. You're right about the England game...a poor show v the Czech's, which tbh wasn't just him.

I'm a season ticket holder. Rice reads the game well, and is good on the ball. He's playing with Noble, who is a great leader and club man, but badly lacks pace. I think elsewhere you'd see Rice get forward more and be far more involved.

Sadly, I'd be amazed if Chelsea, and then Utd, don't come in for him in the summer, He was at Chelsea as a kid. The lad loves West Ham and is terrific with the fans, but the club won't turn down 50M - he's genuinely worth that.

I'd like to see him play alongside Soucek who is a genuine box 2 box player and tracks back too. But the club are already 'leaking' his price, and with covid and lost revenue.....they'll sell.

If we do see those bids, even as a CDM, I can't see his price staying under £2.

I hold, but I see the potential

• @ChazFI123 said in Declan Rice:

I know this is just personal preference, but when looking at a proper holding midfielder I tend to take a look at the defensive returns of the side. West Ham joint second worst defence in the league, I’m not saying it’s Rice’s fault they concede so many, but if he was that great at reading the game would they concede so many?

For example look at the effect Kante had on the Leicester defence, and now the difference it makes for Leicester when Ndidi plays. It’s just something I personally look at, I do the same with potential defenders and how many yellow cards they get for example

tbf mate, Rice is right up there for tackles..2nd I think. We played 1/3rd of our games with a keeper who wears vaseline coated gloves and is genuinely the worst I've seen.....from a list that inc Alan McKnight and Roy Carroll.

despite the results, Rice has never shirked from wanting the ball, puts a foot in, and can take the ball forward......but alongside Noble, he has to stay back and is a bit stifled.
    Balbuena has gone backwards, Diop is good but still learning, and as I mentioned, we had a keeper who has kept about 4 clean sheets in his career.

Rice is genuine quality. And only just turned 21. At that age Kante was playing for Boulogne.

• @Munchie63 he may well improve and he does have age on his side, but the biggest put off for me is he looks worse for England and England's style of football is closer to that of a top team's than West Ham. Which is why for me he doesn't suit a high possession based team as he's not good enough on the ball. If it's a choice between Ndidi or Rice, Ndidi all day long for me and Rice would probably cost more cause he's English. Bruno Fernandes cost United like 46 million upfront, if a team are willing to pay 50 million for Rice then I think West Ham have got an unbelievable deal. He's 4th in the league for tackles, and you'd expect him to be high in that department as West Ham are getting dominated most of the time, if teams are beating West Ham most weeks you'd expect him to do a lot of defending, if that makes sense.

• I like him because in time he will be a superb centre back as well ,but the only problem is he has signed a long term contract at West Ham and that could put suitors off,I think Chelsea would definitely want him to join with his best mate Mason Mount and form another British backbone like the Lampard,Terry one.

• Based on the current market i suspect he is at least 40/50p below value tbf

0_1587553584883_upload-67b3269f-386d-49fc-aae6-bf79b379eb2d

• @ChazFI123 said in Declan Rice:

@Munchie63 he may well improve and he does have age on his side, but the biggest put off for me is he looks worse for England and England's style of football is closer to that of a top team's than West Ham. Which is why for me he doesn't suit a high possession based team as he's not good enough on the ball. If it's a choice between Ndidi or Rice, Ndidi all day long for me and Rice would probably cost more cause he's English. Bruno Fernandes cost United like 46 million upfront, if a team are willing to pay 50 million for Rice then I think West Ham have got an unbelievable deal

fair points mate.

He is better on the ball than the last couple of England games has allowed him to show. Czech was poor for all. He is in a role where he basically sits in front of the CB's and gives the ball to Henderson or the wide men.
    Technically, he is better than you might think. He can carry it forward. But that needs a solid player alongside....and Noble doesnt have the legs so Rice is told to sit back. For England, Winks looks to shift the ball better...but Rice Can do that, coupled with being able to put a foot in. Sadly I think he needs to move on for us to see the best of him.

This is FI though, and we know he won't be banging PB scores, but the media speculation around a move will be big, and if its a war between Chelsea, Utd and possibly City.....then MB will push his price up.....I think