A Flash from the Past (Pre-Share Split Nostalgia)

• Just found this on my computer. I thought it would be interesting to share for people who joined after the share split and haven't seen prices anything like this before. Maybe a touch of nostalgia for those who do remember this far back...

0_1587677890920_upload-b9c10d01-a960-4925-9990-276abb258ee1

• WOW.scary prices.

• @THFC1972 It looks it but they are more expensive now

• @Millonarios How the prices you show are double or even triple today's prices?

• @THFC1972 because for the share split, those prices where split in 3. And the shares in circulation trebled. So if they are now anything above a third of that price shown, they 'cost' more than they did then.

• @THFC1972 Dont feel bad i missed out too. But im banking on something like that happening again in the future and the shares i am buying now to cost triple the amount they cost me in 2 or 3 years time for someone else.

• I still think in pre share split money even now. Even though I’m aware it’s completely redundant, because dividends have gone up. But it’s still hard not to do. I remember when Sancho was £5.30 odd (what would have been £1.80 in today’s money) and coughing out my corn flakes at my phone “how can this nobody be worth this?”Well I ended buying a good size chunk. But sold a few months later at what i thought was his peak. Still haunts me.
    I haven’t the heart to buy back into ever since...sticks in the throat. I think it shows that prices can seem crazy, but they continue to grow with the platform. They may seems hideously overpriced, but ironically they can still be a bargain in the long run- If they are good enough. (Dividends also need need go up periodically to fuel this cycle) There was a crazy stat doing the rounds a while ago, that if there hadn’t been the multiple share splits, then the likes of Neymar would be £70. Nuts 🥜

• Painful remembering buying neymar at that price aha!

• @Valhalla I am like that as well for sure. Players like Jota and Richarlison who are £2.50 now I see as pre share split £7.50 - may seem a bit mad but I like to think this way as well to try and gain a better understanding as to the overall growth of the platform as well. Many variables of course to take into account! But you get my point 😂

• In 18 months time, those prices you’re looking at will be a reality. 🥳👍🏼

• Sancho would be over £40 and Bruno Fernandes would be £29 per share pre share split!! Incredible 🥳

• Thanks everyone for explaining that, that's insane prices I really struggle to pay the expensive prices for players currently as I like to think I'm getting value for my money, I hold Bruno and did hold Kane and Rashford before selling for decent profit Looking at it now I
    probably sold to early but I'm not super rich and invested around £3K so far but need to make my money work and obviously need to sell to buy!

• I looked at the Top 200 the other day and the cheapest player was now £4.92 in pre share split money. Madness.

• How does share split work? Is it like this:

I own 10 shares in Joe Bloggs who is now worth £30 a share. This is deemed too much to get new investors in by FI so they decide to divide all shares by 3.

I now own 30 shares in Joe Bloggs at £10 a share.

Not coming from a financial background I apologise if this comes across as a stupid question, but where I come from they say a stupid question is one that isn't asked.

• And would they carry this out across the whole index or just the top players ie the 200

• Sorry to keep on, is this good for investors as well as the platform? Or does it devalue our holdings a bit?

• @Kipper72 said in A Flash from the Past (Pre-Share Split Nostalgia):

How does share split work? Is it like this:

I own 10 shares in Joe Bloggs who is now worth £30 a share. This is deemed too much to get new investors in by FI so they decide to divide all shares by 3.

I now own 30 shares in Joe Bloggs at £10 a share.

Not coming from a financial background I apologise if this comes across as a stupid question, but where I come from they say a stupid question is one that isn't asked.

Yes, spot on and it was across the board, not just the top 200. Really enjoyed logging in the first time post-share split to see those huge numbers of shares I had in some players.

• @Boris999 Thank you Boris.

• @Kipper72
    I would say good for the platform and the investor. The way I saw it was I gained more shares in my players - yes they were then at a cheaper price but the value of the player remains the same, and if anything this meant I bought more shares in quite a few players, as they were 1/3 of the price pre share split, thus, much more affordable for many traders. Hope that helps.

• @MrPatient do you remember the chaos after the split though as everyone dived in to get the top end players at the cheapest possible price!!