Will Big Transfers Happen This Summer?

• Before COVID, many of us believed this summer had great potential for a series of large transfers. Kane, Salah, Neymar, Pogba, Mbappe, Werner, were all heavily on the rumour list, with the likes of Sancho moving thought to be all but guaranteed.

Are any of these players still likely to move this summer?

Club revenues are all down massively and clubs signing new players will want to include clauses based on COVID but that might not suit the players, meanwhile players like Timo and Sancho, might not be as keen on a move to England, Spain, Italy or France, given the Germans relative success with COVID compared with 4 of the worst hit countries in the world.

So:

• Can clubs still afford the big transfers?
    • Will clubs and players take the risks?
    • Who is still moving?

• Unless the players contracts are up I would say no - the best we can hope for is media speculation and moves in the January window when teams have sorted their finances and sought legal clarification on the virus - at the moment I think they are looking short term at their current squads and if they can maybe attract some big fish it will be in loans with a promise to buy when the loan is up. My overwhelming thought though is the players will stay put until every country can safely say they are clear - that could be a long time.

• @Dan-The-Man
    Given all that you've outlined, I would imagine it'll be those player that are coming to an end of their contracts that'll see the most movement in the short term (between now and July). Personally, I think the following are very likely to agree moves in the next 8 weeks.

Meunier
    Cavani
    Fraser
    Kurzawa
    Gotze

• @Dan-The-Man I doubt many transfer will happen but that won’t stop the press writing about them; so I guess it’s a change of strategy no long buy the rumour sell the fact; but buy before the rumour sell the rumour!

• Some clubs will have to sell to make money and stay afloat I should imagine.

• @Dan-The-Man really hard to say at this point and i suppose depends on how the season ends as clubs will get tv money. Either way as @Sav2000 mentions, it won’t stop the speculation. Your bigger clubs will still be able to buy regardless of what some are saying and clubs around them will want to sell to raise funds I expect. I doubt it will be a boring summer put it that way.

• @Dan-The-Man said in Will Big Transfers Happen This Summer?:

Before COVID, many of us believed this summer had great potential for a series of large transfers. Kane, Salah, Neymar, Pogba, Mbappe, Werner, were all heavily on the rumour list, with the likes of Sancho moving thought to be all but guaranteed.

Are any of these players still likely to move this summer?

Club revenues are all down massively and clubs signing new players will want to include clauses based on COVID but that might not suit the players, meanwhile players like Timo and Sancho, might not be as keen on a move to England, Spain, Italy or France, given the Germans relative success with COVID compared with 4 of the worst hit countries in the world.

So:

• Can clubs still afford the big transfers?
    • Will clubs and players take the risks?
    • Who is still moving?

My opinions to your questions.

1. most likely only the very big clubs can still afford the big transfers. Even then I’d argue Utd, City and Madrid are arguably the only ones that still have enough money to spend due to how rich they are. Barca looking to offload Coutinho to ease financial pressure means even they don’t have money to spend.

2. the toughest one to answer out of the 3. Clubs are less likely to take the risk, as there’s no certain date on a return for football so will be less likely to spend big (if they can). Players have a bit more leeway - take Werner/Sancho as an example. In all honesty they could actually still move if they wanted to if clubs can afford them, and even if they didn’t, once football resumes they will still be wanted by clubs so it’s less of an issue for them bar their current contract situation regarding when it expires.

3. I genuinely don’t think we will see any transfer activity from any club until at the very least the season finishes (if it does resume, which fingers crossed it will)

• I think those players with contracts expiring in 2021 was already an interesting market, think it has just got even more valuable. No club can now afford for their asset to leave for nothing in 12 month's time but offering even larger contracts might also be a challenge. Expect clubs to bargain hard for those players and get good deals.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik?plus=0&jahr=2021&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

Alaba and Depay are standouts for me (don't hold either).

• I think clubs will still sign big players, most big transfers never include the whole fee upfront, let's not forget while some might not be able to afford to buy - some will need to sell, so it'll work both ways.
    If you're not sure, then you can't really lose with players on Free at the end of season because they'll definately be moving, either cut price soon or for nothing at eos

Meunier, M. Sarr, Pedro, Mertens, Cavani, Kurzawa & Vertonghen (to name a few) are all value for moves

• Ppl have said that clubs may be reluctant to spend massive sums because of negative PR. I dont personally subscribe to this view. From where I'm standing we weve never come fully out the other side of 2008 recession. There were never any food banks prior to that were they? I dont know, but if they were I wasnt aware of 'em. Back then a family could live quite nicely on 1 'decent' income. That's never been the case since 2008 do for me we were still in a recession even prior to COVID 19 but footy as an industry has never batted an eyelid.

Back then, gate receipts baid the bulk of a clubs wages, now they dont, it's the TV rights that pay the wages but theres been no reduction in tickets. They are actually more expensive.

Back then, CR7, one of the best ever, went for 80 million quid. Now were talking about Sancho going for about £150m. I remember Shearer going to Newcastle for an earth shattering 15m. The other year boro paid that exact same sum for Britt Assombalonga.

You've now got bang average players on 100k a week. That was the preserve of the absolute elite. It seems to me that footy doesnt give a fuck about the wider economic climate

• @Harford-is-God Depay has no Europe next year either, after Lypn were confirmed to finish in 7th.

• @Lukeroro said in Will Big Transfers Happen This Summer?:

@Harford-is-God Depay has no Europe next year either, after Lypn were confirmed to finish in 7th.

How many clubs will risk buying depay after an ACL?, they certainly wont be spending big money on him.
    Someone might get a massive bargain though - still a risk.
    Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

• It's food for thought.

Also, I think Rennes have CL and Reims have EL so it could be very interesting for those teams to watch if their players jump, even with the current uncertainty.

• Barça has reached an agreement with Lautaro Martinez via @Onefootball. Read it here:

https://1.ftb.al/Lsfuiauyq6

Will this increase the chances of Griezmann getting a move 🤞

• @MickTurbo
    I bloody hope so! I'm desperate for him to get away from Barca, it's the only way his price is gonna go up.

• @Vaughany few clubs been mentioned. I'd be absolutely buzzing if he went to Utd or PSG but I've also seen Inter linked with him. Even that would be great imo. Virtually anywhere would do as he would be the main man and the focal point of attack virtually anywhere other than Messilona

• @MickTurbo
    Exactly. Any other team in a PB league would be fine with me. Ideally, one where there is less/minimal competition for set pieces. If he can pick up pens, corners, free kicks he'll hopefully return to being a PB divs threat like he is with the national team.

Would Utd be a good thing in the long run? Sure, in the short term I imagine his price will spike but he'd have to compete with Pogba and Bruno for set pieces and with Rashford for Forward PB.

• @Vaughany I think at Utd he becomes an MB player to be honest so any PB which there would undoubtedly be, would just serve to make him a double threat. Think bruno, but admittedly older