Order Books Poll

• So folks, how are you all feeling about the big change on the way? With apologies in advance to anyone who feels the poll options don't cover their situation.

We have another thread which focuses more on the possible/probable way the system will work so please try and use this thread as intended to get an overall picture of how people are feeling about what is ahead. Cheers all.

• Neutral as I don't fully understand the effect it will have, sure I'll have an opinion once I know!

• Slightly more positive than negative thanks to help from @Black-wolf @MrWh1te @Vespasian32 @ScouseSte

• @Dalian-Smith are you going to take this? Someone else making a poll, watch the throne 👑

• @TDOG All power to Boris. Seismic change around the corner. I for one would be interested to see how the masses feel about all this. Polls Rick.

• If its implemented the way I think they will then I'm very excited. I think it will bring a lot of money into the index and allow trading, something I'm actually good at and will entice very big financial traders.

• I feel its a bit like we are now running out of time to sell at these top prices, all ports will take a hit as people list under the current market price.
    Think prices will take a hit until more money comes in through new customers which takes ages. But yes long term, it could attract that money.

• I went for slightly more negative than positive, mainly because Im a complete newbie to order books. Reading the other thread has helped a lot in terms of how the system will potentially work (although I understand theres several methods of possible implementation).

From my very order-book-newbish perspective:

Pros -
    Additional liquidity (great especially for FI).
    Buyers getting slight bargains.
    Sellers being able to sell for more than IS.
    Visibility of the sell queue (and buy queue).
    Possibility of attracting big investors (£ for all).

Cons / Questions -
    Reduced rate of capital appreciation.
    Portfolio growth questionable?
    An extra layer of complexity (for the order book newb masses) leading to perhaps artificial fear.
    Are new (or newish) FI users more likely to stick around or leave after a week or a month?
    Can FI systems handle it without a major screwup?

• My first thoughts…

I haven’t used order books before but I have watched some videos and read the write up. I think I understand the concept and benefits to both buyers and sellers. If we could turn back the clock and relaunch Football Index with order books, then that would be great. BUT we don’t have a time machine so we have to look at what happens from here.
    My first BIG concern is as things stand there are far more sellers than buyers. Few of us will have money sat idle in our accounts waiting to buy players at pennies cheaper than they are now. Having big chunks of money set on the side-lines when the Index is expanding probably isn’t a good strategy. So, day 1 of order books will see very few buy orders. None of those orders will be close to the current buy price. Cash will be king, and those buyers will exploit people who have waited weeks to sell some of their big holdings. We’ll see trades taking place at well below current prices. Is that good for our portfolio values? Obviously not. It would be so easy to create a downward spiral of prices. If people see a big gap between current buy prices and offers, they might have less confidence that their holdings will sell in future and think about listing their own holdings for midway between current price and largest ask. That drives down the price further and the spiral begins. This spiral can only really be prevented if there is lots of new money coming into the market. Perhaps Football Index should time order books with a big promotion like the recent 8.25% bonus.

Order books will also favour those who can sit watching the sports news all day. Say you hold player X and you hear he is retiring/transferring to China/involved in crime which could lead to prison/or is involved in a bad road accident. The race to sell is on and you take out all the buy orders. Great. But all the people who had set those buy orders now have something that is worthless. One winner and potentially hundreds of losers. Is that good for the Index? Will that stop those people and others using order books in future?

My main concern is why are we trying to fix something that isn’t that broke? Everybody trading here is doing so because we’ve either had good returns or expect good returns. Are we going to risk this in the hope that things will be OK and suddenly a load of new money will come into the index?

If the site brings in order books it must do so in conjunction with a BIG promotion and it must find a way of protecting bidders from buying junk shares in players that are being sold on major news like car accidents. I’d also like the existing community to have their say. If we are happy with the way things are, then that should be taken into account.

• More positive it will bring more money in so we all benefit from growth of the company.

• I wouldn’t implement it until the beginning of next season which would mean the spreads would have been relaxed by then and IS reinstated. At the moment as has been said there is a bubble waiting to burst and it could be carnage initially. That may do more harm then good and damage confidence in the product never mind order books.

So happy for them to do it, but timing is very key.

• I’m new, I’m going to learn and do well.

The vibe I get is that there are some big traders looking to get out and the market will, not collapse but you know... falter. We then pounce on some cheaper prices then more people come and come back to the platform. The platform grows, we’ve educated ourselves on order books and we make money... assuming we’ve done our research and made the right trades.

It’s easy to be nervy and historically I would’ve been... but Bring It On!

• I'm more pissed off at the rushed announcement of an announcement yet again.
    Traders flap, Chinese whispers and it's not great for the market.
    Has this announcement suddenly come about due to FS popularity and a genuine worry that it eats into their market share?

Order books will be phased in. I'm sure there'll be official tutorials a plenty and time to familiarise yourself with the whole process before it comes in.

To put the announcement out without a basic breakdown of how they intend to implement it, or to have a list of anticipated FAQs for people to reassure themselves is what we've become used to unfortunately.

• I’m very negative about order books. Having seen FI try to implement far simpler changes in the past and mess it up, I can’t see order books being introduced without major problems.

Plus Instant Sell (when enabled) is a hugely profitable tool for FI. If order books are largely going to replace instant sell or reduce the number of instant sells, then FI will want to make up the lost income via other means. I predict either the 2% commission will increase, general market prices will dip or there will be some other mechanism to skim profit off trades.

Those thinking that this will be some magic tool that increases liquidity and profitability for traders aren’t living in the real world, certainly the real world since those gambling directors joined FI.

• I’m feeling a bit negative about this as it’s an unknown for me and there are mixed views out there on what it will do to ‘my’ port.

The views that it will see prices drop and make Cap App harder (which is what the majority of my portfolio is set up for) worries me.

I’m all for trying to learn about the order books, once we know how they’re going to be implemented and work. However, I’m also hoping there’s a decent period before they’re brought in, allowing anyone to market sell all there players to either start again with a portfolio that will suit the new system or to sell up and leave the platform.

• @ocs123 said in Order Books Poll:

I’m very negative about order books. Having seen FI try to implement far simpler changes in the past and mess it up, I can’t see order books being introduced without major problems.

Plus Instant Sell (when enabled) is a hugely profitable tool for FI. If order books are largely going to replace instant sell or reduce the number of instant sells, then FI will want to make up the lost income via other means. I predict either the 2% commission will increase, general market prices will dip or there will be some other mechanism to skim profit off trades.

Those thinking that this will be some magic tool that increases liquidity and profitability for traders aren’t living in the real world, certainly the real world since those gambling directors joined FI.

I think you're missing the bigger picture mate - their commission will probably INCREASE when order books come in. Why?

Example:

I've had Messi in the sell queue for 2 weeks+ (removed now but anyway).
    2 weeks doing nothing except pinching a few div payouts from FI.

If order books existed, I know damn well I'd have sold after a day or two because there would be plenty of cheeky little "buy" orders on offer at slightly below the standard buy price but well above the Instant Sell price.

In the words of Don Corleone... "offers I couldn't refuse" 😁

Fi gets its 2% commission and I'm back on the Ferris wheel reinvesting in another player! Trading in and out will become much more frequent, I suspect, so FI will make a load of commission 👊🏻

IS won't be needed hardly ever, besides to get in fast when career ending injuries may have happened etc

AMAZING TIMES AHEAD 💪🏻

• @ocs123 I share your concerns about FI's ability to implement this change. I am hopeful that they have looked at their track record and this has influenced their decision to implement OB in phases

• FI got the share split spot on. Sure they will do the same here.

• @Leclerc said in Order Books Poll:

I went for slightly more negative than positive, mainly because Im a complete newbie to order books. Reading the other thread has helped a lot in terms of how the system will potentially work (although I understand theres several methods of possible implementation).

From my very order-book-newbish perspective:

Pros -
    Additional liquidity (great especially for FI).
    Buyers getting slight bargains.
    Sellers being able to sell for more than IS.
    Visibility of the sell queue (and buy queue).
    Possibility of attracting big investors (£ for all).

Cons / Questions -
    Reduced rate of capital appreciation.
    Portfolio growth questionable?
    An extra layer of complexity (for the order book newb masses) leading to perhaps artificial fear.
    Are new (or newish) FI users more likely to stick around or leave after a week or a month?
    Can FI systems handle it without a major screwup?

You seem to have a preety good grasp on how it will be i wouldnt worry about it

• @Yellow yep they did a brilliant job of their 3 times table 😉