Will the new matching engine and order books change the amount of players you want to have in your port?

• I was just thinking that I will be more specific in buying players from now on and wondered if people would be the same. I always wanted a small port and this has confirmed it for me. I wondered what everyone else was thinking?

• I'm going the other way personally. I'm buying as many of the really good PB players from across the leagues as I can whilst remaining ahead of curve. There are several players I hold who are not yet in my signature but I'll probably just update that monthly. Meanwhile I'm gonna keep an MB heartbeat but be very selective with youth. OBs play no part whatsoever in my thinking. I may use them, but struggling personally to apply them to a particular strategy or narrative other than I may get some bargains and I may be able to use them to get out of a bad trade without paying an abhorrent spread

• @MickTurbo are you bothered by the 2% on the matched bids or not?

• No mate not at all. It's your duty to factor it into any buy order and of course theres the option to buy the way we do at present. I theory FI are roughly gonna double their commission. It's not gonna cripple any individual trader but its gonna make FI twice as secure as it is today, which has got to be the number 1 concern of all of us

• @MickTurbo yeah I love how stable it will make fi. I just think I need to really think about my purchases rather than buy gambles and shit from the bottom end :-)

• @Tom7471 completely agree. I dont mind a cheapy and I'll continue to bug a few but theyll be based on research. They were anyway with me. U can look at certain players I've held and talked about and call them punts but the punt was always would they catch on big time, not a punt on whether or not they were any good cos I'd satisfy myself that they were before buying so that I'd always be able to get back out even if it was not at huge profits

• @Tom7471 said in Will the new matching engine and order books change the amount of players you want to have in your port?:

I was just thinking that I will be more specific in buying players from now on and wondered if people would be the same. I always wanted a small port and this has confirmed it for me. I wondered what everyone else was thinking?

This is my thinking to begin with. Just try and build the portfolio i want hopefully at a fraction of the cost and then use the dividends to spread further afield over time. The ability to generate a cash balance without selling is going to be more important than ever before

• I will carry on as normal. I have 23 players at present but that will reduce to under 20 when I get out the temporary money I have due to the DD. I like a diversified port with at least one player in all the PB leagues. The ME will mean that I will be even more careful to buy players that traders want. I'll still take a risk in an exciting youngster, but it has to be someone that other traders want and see a bright future in him.

• @MickTurbo said in Will the new matching engine and order books change the amount of players you want to have in your port?:

No mate not at all. It's your duty to factor it into any buy order and of course theres the option to buy the way we do at present. I theory FI are roughly gonna double their commission. It's not gonna cripple any individual trader but its gonna make FI twice as secure as it is today, which has got to be the number 1 concern of all of us

yeh very good point that i hadnt considered...il happily sacrifce some profit to ensure all my money is safer in FI

• @Westy except maybe that 2% is just to pay for the spanking new Nasdaq system.. Doesnt come cheap from what I've heard.

Also what they gain in 2% they will lose a fair bit on the lack of trading from and back to them. I. E. Flogging one trader sancho for £13.50 whilst at the same time someone is giving them a sancho through IS for £13.10 (for example)... Also shares will now stay in circulation until their retirement meaning FI pay every penny of divs... Wheras those that currently get sold back to IS are disposed of essentially and no longer a dividend liability.

This isn't doom and gloom... But the 2% isnt necessarily new stability its to cover new costs imo.

• @Vespasian32 but whilst every share remains in existence and eligible for dividends, I would argue that the overwhelming majority of shares will nowhere near return their IS price so FI will pay back significantly less over a significantly longer period of time I would have thought

• @MickTurbo haha probably. All a bit complicated.

• @Vespasian32 agreed

• @MickTurbo said in Will the new matching engine and order books change the amount of players you want to have in your port?:

@Vespasian32 but whilst every share remains in existence and eligible for dividends, I would argue that the overwhelming majority of shares will nowhere near return their IS price so FI will pay back significantly less over a significantly longer period of time I would have thought

Yep FI have upped their returns and reduced their outgoing payments now that they dont buy shares back. Apart from overheads from the running of the platform their only out going payments are dividends.

Its a brilliant move from FI that now requires more caution from traders but potentially higher rewards and hopefully higher dividends