Strategies

• Just getting a feeder for what strategies everyone uses.

I currently own 112 futures spread over 12 players. Quite happy with my profit so far.

Do people have a trigger sell point? I.e 15% profit and then reinvest on another future?

Treat your team like fantasy football and purchase on a game by game basis?

In for the long term and treat as a means of savings.

I have some players that I will keep as I know MB is more than likely. Others have shown good returns so far, but can’t see getting any dividends.

• I initially set off with a strategy to make a certain level of profit per future and had a spreadsheet for every transaction but recently got rid of it (which might be a dangerous thing) largely due to the level of profit made being so bloody good (over 40%) that it seemed pointless counting the penny's....

So now my only real strategy is set on when to sell the players i have.... as it's a long term strategy I have, all I need to do is ensure that I sell those players well within my three years and at the right time (and replace them with someone else)... So if i see no future in Messi being at his best possible form than it's time for me to sell.... If Ronaldo discusses retirement plans in the MLS it's time to sell.... If Neymar is about to move to China it's time to sell.... If not... then keep hold and enjoy the returns mean time because they are all at a healthy profit level for me...

Other players are more tricky... For example i've gambled on players like Florinel Coman and David De Gea (still both in profit).... However If Coman doesn't turn out to be the next Gheorghe Hagi or even Florin Raducioiu within a year then maybe I should get rid.... If FI don't introduce goalkeeper dividends within 2 years then De Gea should perhaps go too... So I would say be flexible. Judge each case on it's own merit but don't cap yourself to profit levels as when I started Mo Salah was worth £2.50 and now he's a pound short off a tenner!!! Keep your best assets sell your worst is a possible outlook but one rule I do adhere to though (maybe to my detriment) is try not to sell in the red!!!!

Hence why I still hold COUTINHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(

• @dannypea

@dannypea said in Strategies:

I initially set off with a strategy to make a certain level of profit per future and had a spreadsheet for every transaction but recently got rid of it (which might be a dangerous thing) largely due to the level of profit made being so bloody good (over 40%) that it seemed pointless counting the penny's....

So now my only real strategy is set on when to sell the players i have.... as it's a long term strategy I have, all I need to do is ensure that I sell those players well within my three years and at the right time (and replace them with someone else)... So if i see no future in Messi being at his best possible form than it's time for me to sell.... If Ronaldo discusses retirement plans in the MLS it's time to sell.... If Neymar is about to move to China it's time to sell.... If not... then keep hold and enjoy the returns mean time because they are all at a healthy profit level for me...

Other players are more tricky... For example i've gambled on players like Florinel Coman and David De Gea (still both in profit).... However If Coman doesn't turn out to be the next Gheorghe Hagi or even Florin Raducioiu within a year then maybe I should get rid.... If FI don't introduce goalkeeper dividends within 2 years then De Gea should perhaps go too... So I would say be flexible. Judge each case on it's own merit but don't cap yourself to profit levels as when I started Mo Salah was worth £2.50 and now he's a pound short off a tenner!!! Keep your best assets sell your worst is a possible outlook but one rule I do adhere to though (maybe to my detriment) is try not to sell in the red!!!!

Hence why I still hold COUTINHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(

I buy players who have a logical reason to rise in price in the next few months.

I sell players who have a logical reason to fall in price in the next few months.

I buy players who I think will claim dividends with low risk of a price drop in the next few months.

I do not invest more than 10 percent of my budget in a player.

They are my rules. You cant base decisions on your buy price. If you think a player is likely to drop in short term you should sell regardless of whether its red, you can always rebuy at the lower price. I used to think like you did but its a mistake and not good trading (not advising to sell coutinho as he should at least hold price till WC but point stands).

• @mike778 said in Strategies:

If you think a player is likely to drop in short term you should sell regardless of whether its red

Yeah i do agree.... I've sold a few in red at a loss of pennies rather than pounds to make room for 'better' futures in other 'buzz' players so I would certainly now recommend doing that to free up cash if it doesn't hit you too hard... Not that I like to do it of course which is hence my stubborn stance with Coutinho... I doubt i'll ever get back my losses on him but the longer i keep i suppose the longer the chance I have that he can come good again??? Having a diverse portfolio however helps you smooth over your losses with profit elsewhere!!!

• I have based my profile and strategy around low risk high return, and what I mean about this, the most expensive player i will buy is between £1-£1.50 , being i look for value, and players that are already bottom end of there price so cant drop lower, (low risk) and if you buy the right player with plenty of research it can be very high reward. The down side of this my divided counter is lower than most, however i make that up from good returns on value picks. At the moment, i have chose to bypass the WC as IMO feel your buying into an inflated market this over rated for the gamble of a few 4p PB wins and maybe a 12p pb win, then the blood bath that will follow of people instant selling as thats the only way to get rid of players in an over inflated market, will leave a lot of people burnt. aAs we know FI works in trends, and the next trend is the summer transfer window, so i have hovered up all the cheap free transfer players now and 90% cert players likely to move at a very cheap price now while they have all been overlooked by the WC. Anyone interested in this type of stratagy i run a FB chat group with a good bunch of lads where we brainstorm ideas and pros and cons of buying selling players drop me PM if you fancy being added new FI players welcome, all i ask is you have a good knowledge of the game to bring something to the table.

• @SMacFI

Do you have a cap that you sell at? ie when they hit 25% profit or is more ad hoc?

Totally get buying low and almost going against the grain of the market but you can still make your money from the WC so I would never rule out 'any' opportunities where you can profit in this game... I just brought the majority of my players in December & January so that I got ahead of the rush.. Some though I have missed out on like Timo Werner who I refuse to pay over £4 for others like Yussuf Poulsen you can still pick up for less than a quid and he's a big player for Denmark who have an easy looking group!

I do like the idea of selling at the spike and buying none WC players in the summer though as the market will be an interesting place come August.

• @SMacFI I can see the logic and sense in your stratagy with free transfers, but sometimes you can be too early on a trend. If you bought these players a month ago and they havent risen much then you could have used that money, recycled it and then gone into the free transfer market a bit later.

I hold some WC players and plan to sell some before a ball is kicked. Others I will hold through the tournament.

It's all about being one step ahead. The risk of getting on too early is almost as bad as getting on too late if you miss the next trend.

I've been tracking the players after your shouts ( and doing research off the back of them) and they definitely have an up side, (sat on a few that are nicely up) but just think more profit is there for the WC before the transfer market kicks off.

• @Ozzlebert All payers i have bout fr the summer transfer are well up some not moved much yet as there lesser known names, will give 2 examples Balloteli bought at 95p , i could have sold at 50% profit at his peak, but i believe wit being so far from the business end of the transfer window thats only the tip of the ice berg. Johnathan Bamba bought at 51p again i see him breaking the £1 easy. in some cases i would be happy with a 25p price hike as an example i tipped jean Kevin Agustin at 70p i think sold for 27p profit, purely as i ended to free up funds for another player i seen great value in, JKA is a quality player and am looking to buy back in at some stage.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.