Man Utd Sue Football Manager (Implications for FI?)

• @Metropolis FI totally different, it’s a gambling site.
    It’s like Utd suing bet365 or PaddyPower, ain’t happening

• @Gregolocky True, but theres a huge difference between a simple bet and buying 'shares'. Yes I know it's hypothetical, and technically a bet, but still.

• @Metropolis The only thing I’d be worried about from FI perspective is the use of player images. Could be open to image right issues, especially with players whose religious beliefs are totally against gambling.
    But who knows the ins and outs of the laws regarding gambling 🤷‍♂️

• I think the biggest threat to FI is from the players themselves. We are literally getting rich off their success and buying "futures" in them. Are they getting any slice of that action? No! Should they? Probably, arguably, inevitably! (If I was a sports lawyer and worked on image rights and brands etc I'd be all over this tbh).

• @Leighton that’s like saying if you put a bet on with a big gambling company and win the players get a share of the winnings just reading that back it sounds ludicrous

• It really isn't i don't think. But lets see. I think its inevitable and am frankly surprised it hasn't happened already. The more FI grows, the more people will want their cut. The law is often ludicrous, but that doesn't stop the argument being heard.

• @Leighton apple is a big company you can buy futures in apple on the stock market and in the case they do well you close your position make a profit they don’t come knocking for some of your winnings lol 😂 if this ever did happen which it won’t I’m sure they will be going after big betting company’s which obviously have already got everything in place to make this perfectly legit which is why it will never or hasn’t already happened

• @Gregolocky said in Man Utd Sue Football Manager (Implications for FI?):

@Metropolis The only thing I’d be worried about from FI perspective is the use of player images. Could be open to image right issues, especially with players whose religious beliefs are totally against gambling.
    But who knows the ins and outs of the laws regarding gambling 🤷‍♂️

This is a good point - I wonder if Bet 365 / Will Hill etc ever use players images / photos whose religious beliefs are against gambling when they promote their special offers and promos etc.
    Come to think of it, I’ve never thought about it! 😂 Would be interested to see though as I’m sure Mane & Salah would have been touted many times for first goal scorer or whatever it may be. I believe them both to be quite religious and it may go against their beliefs for example. But like you said - who knows the ins and outs of the laws of gambling 🤷‍♂️

• My gut feeling (I am no lawyer) is that the buying/selling shares no problem, it is exactly the same as the bookies, and sport relies on that.

But using the players image may well be and we will will either see:

1. Official tie-ins with the leagues (unlikely) or
    2. The removal of players pictures (likely and not a problem)

FI will get too big for the clubs/players to ignore and everyone will want their slice.

And tbh, clubs make huge purchases to buy players and pay wages, and a lot of that is covered by image rights, so they should act to protect themselves on it.

• Easy solution for any player who wants a slice of the action...get a mate or family member to set up a Footie Index account and chuck them some money.
    I know by default there's potential for them to be done for gambling but it surely isn't in the same vein as putting money on a match they are involved in.

• @NewUser67492
    Yeah they will get done for that for sure :p

• @Leighton said in Man Utd Sue Football Manager (Implications for FI?):

It's easy to say this is silly (Because it is), but it's the world we live in and Football manager should have been more clued up here if it's true. Schoolboy error. They are either chancing their arm hoping United wouldn't be petty or they've been badly advised legally.

They should have gone back to the old pro evo days of Ranildo and Roberto Maggio and Dave Peckham and whatever else the fuck they made up. That's the cheaper and funnier option.

Nah, it's Man Utd's lawyers who are chancing their arm here.

Football Manager has been around for 20 odd years... Man Utd coming out against it now, is frankly ridiculous and their lawyers will have a tough time arguing this, given they haven't enforced the protection over the years and that there are countless games like The Sun's Dream Team, where the images are used.

Sega's lawyer should argue that if a person wanted to write a book about Manchester United, that they wouldn't need licensing to do it, and if they wanted to make a movie about Manchester United or fan who wears a Manchester United shirt, they wouldn't need licensing to do it. If they wanted to take a photo, they wouldn't need permission.

They also should argue, that there's something like 30,000 clubs in the game, so any claim that Man Utd's presence is what the game is sold on, is ridiculous.

• @MrWh1te

A person doesn't own their own image.

For example, if I chose to take a photo of Man Utd playing and sell that photo, that's my photo to sell.

As long as Sports Interactive/Sega make it clear that they are not endorsed by Man Utd or their players, they should be fine using player images.

• @Dan-The-Man Funny how it comes out after United say they are having a tough time financially. It at least looks like a simple cash grab.

• Isn’t this because they haven’t used united official badge and crest ? If so there’s no problem really in company’s using the image just has to be the correct image that portrays the club