Matching Engine not up to scratch

• As a regular punter on Betfair, the platform works because you can see the bets offered by buyers and sellers clearly. It works as the movement of prices up and down can easily be seen and tracked. This is sort of what I expected of this matching engine. It is definitely progress but why didn't FI take a lead from Betfair where you can buy and sell bets at prices you can see and understand. I feel that FI have somewhat missed an opportunity here. If anyone can point out any advantages to this system/ matching engine please educate me as it is possible I may be missing something. Cheers

• If they had immediately jumped into betfair system and sellers could name a price too, every buy price would have gone down 5-10p at least. Imagine that effect on everyone’s portfolio when the whole platform logs on to see their port value dropping that much.
    Pretty confident that it will be the long term aim to run similar to betfair but it would have caused chaos right now.

• I agree with you. But be patient, they say this is just the pilot version. I’m sure the full version will give us the transparency you describe. To be able to see the actual number of shares offered to sell and buy at what exact price would make it better. No more of this average price of x number of highest bids malarkey

• Let’s say you had 1000 shares in Aaron Cresswell at 29p and I only had 1 share and wanted to get rid.
    I see the current sell price at 12p so put up my one for 13p hoping to Nick a penny.
    Your 1000 shares are now showing at a buy price value of 13p and over half your money appears to have gone. Meltdown time!

• This post is deleted!

• @Thatguy said in Matching Engine not up to scratch:

Let’s say you had 1000 shares in Aaron Cresswell at 29p and I only had 1 share and wanted to get rid.
    I see the current sell price at 12p so put up my one for 13p hoping to Nick a penny.
    Your 1000 shares are now showing at a buy price value of 13p and over half your money appears to have gone. Meltdown time!

That's the reality tho... People are paying 60% rates and believing they are in immediate profit. The current price should reflect what people are currently paying. Volatility = opportunity.

• Volatility definitely gives opportunity, no doubt about that! Not sure that is what FI wants to, or should be, all about though.
    Many traders out there will want to be using this as an investment and sticking their cash in a player for 3 years. The way they implemented order books supports this. So many people checking their portfolios 10x a day without trading and if it was swinging by 10-20% each time due to one purchase the long term and large investors would lose faith pretty quickly. Slow and steady wins the race for FI.
    My Cresswell example is because I actually managed to pick up a few at 13p (Happy to take more!) but buying these few would have dropped my portfolio price if we used the betfair/FS system as my other 300 would have lost 60%. I understand it but many will not and the last thing we want is a platform full of people comfused about their investment.

• @Thatguy it will be interesting to see the chaos when this happens. I am buying some players with 50% off there market price knowing full well there isn't a lot of value in the price I bought at let alone market price! I am judging my port on my buy price not the current market "value"

• @Vespasian32 but that isn’t true as well - as the IS price in a rising market is less that you get from MS. For example I sold Olmo last weekend his IS was £2.10 and his MS was £2.35 which is what I got. I think for the time being people need to run their own spreadsheets and adjust accordingly - at the moment you have to use the amount of options in circulation as the only ‘true’ guide as that is real. However if going manually I’m using the mid price on my spreadsheets.