The Forum Moderation Issue

• I've spoken out before about how much I love the unmoderated aspect of the forum; the heated debates, the clashing of big names, the memes, the jokes. This place reminds me of a simpler time on the internet. Before the reddits and facebooks took over the public forum space, corporatized our ability to express ourselves and came down on free thought with a silicon fist, before all that there was places like this that were very much the wild west of the internet. You were free to do as you please, you could pitch your stake in the ground and say whatever the hell you liked, and if someone disagreed with you then you were both free to draw your pistols and go at it. Your ideas and words were you survival tools. It was a harsh environment and many people could not handle the heat, but if you could stick it out and hold your ground, there was intellectual gold to be found. I pine for these days, there's nothing quite like it any more.

However, recently with the underhanded shilling of direct competitors to the product we are all here to discuss, and the fact that certain subjects are being brought up time and again and completely derailing threads to the point that people aren't even paying attention to what was originally being discussed, I've had to reassess my views on this. There's not a great deal of intellectual progress being made because of these problems. I sometimes find myself wanting to discuss a part of the Index with a particular set of users, but knowing that the topic will go wayward I hold back from starting a public discussion.

I am absolutely for forum moderation now, with the caveat that it take an extremely backseat approach. I've moderated one of the biggest gaming forums on the Internet, with over 300,000 very active users, and I've seen communities wane and die due to over moderation. I am of the opinion that moderation should act as good government should act: Keep the water running, the lights on, but largely leave people to their own devices as long as they are not infringing on others.

Forum moderators should assume the behaviour of a hockey referee: Your job is to make sure the game is played, but you also have to accept that the majority of the crowd loves to watch the odd brawl break out. When this happens you should let it play out, and as long as the fight doesn't start spilling out into the crowd, you should be there to make sure nobody is getting the shit kicked out of them, and maybe to dish out appropriate warnings at the end, but when the brawl is over the game continues to be played.

In the context of the forum I don't want to see the kind of heated and passionate debates that happen here on an almost daily basis interfered with or quashed by moderators. I do want these arguments contained to a single thread though, and not splintering off into three desperate threads, or taking over completely unrelated threads because two users with a history have posted within 5 minutes of each other.

It would also be nice for us to have access to some QoL features like sticky threads. With access to even extremely basic moderation tools like sticky threads we could vastly improve the community interaction and culture. We could have weekly threads stickied at the top to help new users find answers to simple questions we all had starting out, sticky the Match Day discussion threads on any given day etc. We could even clean up the structure of the forum; I don't know if any of you are aware of this but there's actually different areas of the forum that aren't the General Discussion board! I think this may actually be the most important benefit that moderation could bring to the forum, if we had the ability to better structure the boards, it may help contain some of the arguments that get drawn out and spill over into different threads.

Now, whether or not we can actually get in contact with somebody with the power to make any of this happen though is a different matter. I'm not sure how easy it is to get in touch with an FI representative who actually knows what they are doing with the forum. I suspect there is a few who are lurking and doing some basic moderation behind the scenes because it's quite suspicious that the forum manages to avoid being overrun with any kind of spambots or scammers. Maybe forum infrastructure has greatly improved over the years and this is not so much of an issue on modern forums, I don't know. You would think though that with this being a gambling related forum it would be rife with scammers, it's quite interesting.

I would like to hear other people's serious thoughts on forum moderation. If there is consensus on the subject then perhaps, as Baydog mentioned in his thread, we can start to make moves as a community to get in touch with FI and make something happen.

• Banned

Just to confirm, this forum does have moderators and they read every post.

They choose not to act.

So maybe it could be a discussion here about how to moderate, instead?

• @MrWh1te having moderated forums myself, I find it hard to believe that they "read every post". What's your evidence for this claim?

Also agree active moderation is required, as mentioned in a couple of my previous posts.

• Banned

@FootballArgos
    They told me they do.
    I read every post here, it isn't hard to do.

• @MrWh1te said in The Forum Moderation Issue:

@FootballArgos
    They told me they do.
    I read every post here, it isn't hard to do.

If that's the case then it's another example of complete lack of communication being a concern with FI. Can we just have a bit of interaction on some level? They really need a community manager who can mingle and act as a go between for FI with users here and other social media.

• Banned

@DillyDong
    Indeed, I did ask for them to make themselves more known and got a generic 'rest assured we monitor all posts on the forum'.

Ironically, the mods wouldn't talk to me, I was asking them questions and livechat had to keep asking me to wait whilst they spoke to the mods and then came back to me with an answer

• @DillyDong ideally I would like any moderator to stay in the background and only intervene when a line is crossed, leaving the Forum to moderate itself the rest of the time. Unfortunately everyone has a different take on where that line should be drawn.

There have been certain posts recently, or indeed some entire threads, that in my opinion have no place on a public forum, either because they are abusive or factually inaccurate/misleading but others will definitely have a different take on it.

I think some need to have more tolerance to others opinions too and accept that you do not always have to have the last word; make your point, then move on. If you're posting for the 5th time or more on the same thread you're probably not adding much more.

• Lots of mentions about not liking an FI competitor being spoken about....if anyone can find a post made by someone who enjoys the competition... That isn't firstly provoked by someone who's never used it saying silly things about it... I'd love to see it ☺ most of us who like the other product have actively tried to get people to not talk about it here and either use the forum @Westy created for it... Or dms... Or other platforms. If people don't want to hear about it.... Then don't mention it.

• @Vespasian32 this is certainly partly true (it might be 100% true but I'm not checking all the threads to find out!) but if I was playing devils advocate, I would say does it matter? This is an FI forum, set up and paid for by them to help their traders and to create a community, so if someone does say something negative or incorrect about a rival, I would argue it's not worth engaging with them and don't reply.

Obviously this is a public forum and you have a right to reply, but it's obvious now that any such response is going to lead to the same argument again and I really don't see how that helps anyone.

(I know your comment wasn't aimed at me, as I hadn't mentioned this in my post, but just trying to give a take on it from someone who has not been involved in these arguments).

• @MrWh1te said in The Forum Moderation Issue:

Just to confirm, this forum does have moderators and they read every post.

They choose not to act.

So maybe it could be a discussion here about how to moderate, instead?

They definitely weren't reading anything on the forum until a forum member posted a link to the thread last year where many traders were thinking of leaving or derisking. That thread got deleted and then a few days later, PB/MB dividends were increased.

• Banned

@Londoner I wouldn't know about then. My discussion with support was a few days ago.
    I would be very surprised if that was true though and they had forums they didn't observe.

It wouldn't even surprise me if Adam himself posts here under a pseudonym

• @DillyDong just posted this on a separate thread, but equally relevant here.

I did contact FI directly about moderation of the forum following a brief conversation with @Advinculas-Index. Adam Cole asked who wanted to be a moderator in one his Twitter q&a sessions. I emailed with some suggestions and put myself forward, but no response. I'm guessing this and the lack of response to you also means they aren't keen on having non FI-employees moderating which is fair enough.

Still happy to put myself forward. I'm not as active as some on here so would need to be as part of a team, but I think it would be worthwhile to setup some form of direct communication channel and give feedback.

The cynical side of me thinks Twitter is viewed more lucrative in regards to attracting new users. Although saying that, one of the decisive factors in me putting more money in after I joined (initially with £10!) was speaking to existing users here. There was a lot of reassurance despite far less users back then which really convinced me to take the platform seriously.