New to the game

• Hi all,

Finally committed and did my first trade today. Just reaching out to any experienced traders who can give me a good starting strategy. How valuable is it focusing on MB, PB and Divs. Cap appreciation is the obvious strategy but of offload risk it’ll be good to know how influence are these extras?

• @Newkidontheblock welcome! Cap app will be driven by div returns now more than ever. However price is driven by returns, so if you are starting with a small budget, it's tricky.

Best piece of advice I could give is simulate- write a list of a number of players who you would invest in. Sit it out and look at their div returns and cap app(and more importantly the IS price). Create your strategy it's different for everyone. It needs to be fun as well as making you money.

Above all, recognise that your port will go down as well as up, and don't put in what you'd be unhappy to lose

• Be patient, don't panic when the market moves and don't over trade.

• @Moukoko Thanks for taking your time on this, are Div returns that profitable. What’s a good average div return to look out for?

Strategy there’s a few I have in mind:

Sterling looks cheap and I feel could have a good bounce back for the remainder also in the CL still.
    Ikone in France looks a good price at 1.23 being Lille’s top man next year, Dubois looks a good price as well at 43p. I feel I want to invest in two sub 1 players that are good for medium to long holds.

I have placed a trade today on the back on potential momentum Daka bought 250 shares at 1.93. I did this level on betting in a rush knowing I could get a refund but I do feel there’s a lot this player can give it will take time.

• Do not jump in on a player, I only started a few weeks and didnt do enough thinking of my own and have been stuck with quite a few high priced players that have dropped a lot!!!

I'm getting divs on one who with out mentioning his name will be obvious over the last 4 days.

Also bid as low as you can on the ME as getting a decent sell price has been really tough.

• Thanks for reaching out. What strategy do you have now? What’s ME and what’s a good div payout?

• @Newkidontheblock not going to comment on individual players, but make sure to check their 6 month graphs as a minimum. There's a post on compound divs which would be worth checking out

• @Newkidontheblock my advice would be to try and learn quickly and make lots of mistakes at the start as everyone does but try and only play for small money so that the mistakes aren't costly.

I am 15 months in and still making silly little mistakes but overall the mistakes haven't cost me too much. I traded way too much and sold at the wrong times way too often but it was fun :-)

• @Tom7471
    Thanks mate 👍🏻

• @Newkidontheblock having been here 3 years I would say dont just stock up on large quantities of low cost players. I did it when I started. In some instances it worked but for most you are sat for months making very little. Especially now it will be harder than ever to get rid of these players.

It can be very tempting to buying thousands of a player that you think has to be cheap and worth far more when in reality its just that they are that price because nobody wants them.

• @Newkidontheblock Just learn and read like crazy. Hoover up articles, read the forum, watch tutorials on YouTube. The more you know, the better your trading will become and the more you will make.

• @trig said in New to the game:

Do not jump in on a player, I only started a few weeks and didnt do enough thinking of my own and have been stuck with quite a few high priced players that have dropped a lot!!!

We’ve all done it. Super tempting not to jump on a player when he’s rocketing. Sometimes they will go up again, but nearly always they drop after a sharp rise. So you could say this is weak trading and you will lose more than you win.
    The skill comes in doing the opposite to the crowd and buying the gems who are out of fashion and ppl are selling. Easier said than done however 😛 Next time you see a player fly, have nerves of steel and say “I’ve missed this one, but I’ll find the next before it happens”

• @Newkidontheblock firstly, good luck! Secondly, things seem to change at a rapid pace on FI and there's always a Fear Of Missing Out - try to avoid FOMO and jumping in on players you're not sure about where you can, there's so many other options. Also, the lower end of the market has a lot of uncertainty currently so be cautious with your purchases, particularly from non-PB leagues.

However, a great thing about FI is it's still growing and there are many strategies to make a profit!

• @Newkidontheblock

You first need to decide the type of trader you want to be & what methods best suit your personality; short, medium or long term or a combination?

Too many buy a player on a Monday & are complaining they have crashed by Friday when in reality they are just a few pence below the price they bought them. You can hold players for upto 3 years & while not as exciting as constantly buying & selling, it often proves more lucrative. Lots of talk about chasing capital appreciation but these price rises are largely driven by the anticipation of winning dividends (or at least the potential to do so) so it's important to understand how the market works, what drives prices & why some players seem over or under priced compared to similar type players.

Everyone will tend to over trade & make mistakes when finding out what strategy suits them best so you may consider using the watchlist at least initially, as a shadow portfolio, so any mistimed trades don't prove financially costly. Once you've decided on a player to buy you can often get a discount by using the Matching Engine & bidding below the current market price, as it's currently a buyers market at least until full order books arrive.

Good luck with whatever you decide, have fun & there are always forum users willing to freely offer advice & recommendations if you have questions.

• @NewUser159387

Give yourself a name mate ... your more than just a number to me!! 🤣😘

Your advice is always well reasoned and helpful.

I'd hate others to get you confused with NewUser159386, who is a complete bellend! 🤣😉

• @johnboywalker said in New to the game:

Give yourself a name mate ... your more than just a number to me!! 🤣😘
    Your advice is always well reasoned and helpful.

Thanks - I actually enjoy the anonymity of my starting number, allows ppl to judge what I say rather than who says it, but I'll try & think of something more apt!

• @NewUser159387 Gandhi? You wise person

• Some good advice in here and won't repeat what others have said. But here is maybe something useful.

Most traders, including me, have their biggest issue in knowing when to sell. Buying is the easy part. It is so tempting when your player rises to hang on and hope they continue to go up and up. I am extremely guilty of this. In reality they go up, stablise, then go down a bit. Usually it might be a few months before they rise again.

What I suggest you do is practice when you would sell even for players you don't own. If you see a player you don't own rise, pretend he is yours. Say to yourself whether now they should sell, or stick. Write it down. And then monitor and keep track. You can use your watchlist for this. That way you can get a bit of a feel for selling.

• @Dr-Jan-Itor said in New to the game:

Some good advice in here and won't repeat what others have said. But here is maybe something useful.

Most traders, including me, have their biggest issue in knowing when to sell. Buying is the easy part. It is so tempting when your player rises to hang on and hope they continue to go up and up. I am extremely guilty of this. In reality they go up, stablise, then go down a bit. Usually it might be a few months before they rise again.

What I suggest you do is practice when you would sell even for players you don't own. If you see a player you don't own rise, pretend he is yours. Say to yourself whether now they should sell, or stick. Write it down. And then monitor and keep track. You can use your watchlist for this. That way you can get a bit of a feel for selling.

Whenever I buy any player I immediately set a price and/or percentage increase at which I’d be looking to sell. As the player gets closer to that price I then look for a spike (caused by transfer spec or a PB/MB win) during which I can sell the player. Obviously those targets can change dependent on the path or change of potential for that player but I always have a target in place for every player at any given time.

• @Erased-Citizen said in New to the game:

Whenever I buy any player I immediately set a price and/or percentage increase at which I’d be looking to sell

This is a very solid strategy but it does often fail with breakout stars; when would you have sold TAA, Sancho, EBH if you were lucky enough to get on early??