*Footie* explained

• I understand the footie is an indication of how well the site is performing. But can someone please explain the numbers in detail? Currently in green we have a figure of 194,961 and in blue a figure of 567.54. So if someone could explain those figures that would be great! The blue figure was around 200 the other day so its gone up significantly. Would this suggest now is better or worse to buy shares? Thanks

• @NewUser612113

My limited understanding...

the footie (194,000) is a tracker of sorts measuring the price of shares on the index. The smaller number to the right (564) is the 24hr movement

Neither are particularly meaningful...and not really a baramoter of when to buy shares. With the bidding system it's very hard for prices to go down. People can be selling at large discounts and the footie doesn't take it into account because the share price doesn't change.

• The first number is meant to be linked somehow to the cost of one share in every player i think? So a measure of how the whole platform is growing. The second number is how much it has risen or dropped from previous day. The figures we see are always a day behind to current day.

I have my concerns about the footie now- since the ME came in.

When the ME came in we saw a dropped figure- this was then meant to be an error and FI 'corrected it'.

I feel its lost credibility since the ME as there are hundreds of players with no bids on. So how can they include them at their market prices? A lot of buying is now under the market prices- but its the market prices that make up this footie.

One of my biggest holds Grimaldo had a bad injury yesterday- normally wed see his market price tumble- it hasnt, because people arent listing to sell, they are accepting the lower bids- the price stays.

So currently we arent really seeing players drop and therefor the footie- even though players are being dropped for lower bids.

Hope that makes sense. Might very well be wrong on some points- very open to others explaining.

• @Westy I think it's more complicated than one share in evry player...there was always talk about weightings and potentially a cut off point too.

• @Westy said in *Footie* explained:

The first number is meant to be linked somehow to the cost of one share in every player i think? So a measure of how the whole platform is growing. The second number is how much it has risen or dropped from previous day. The figures we see are always a day behind to current day.

When the ME came in we saw a dropped figure- this was then meant to be an error and FI 'corrected it'.

I feel its lost credibility since the ME as there are hundreds of players with no bids on. So how can they include them at their market prices? A lot of buying is now under the market prices- but its the market prices that make up this footie.

One of my biggest holds Grimaldo had a bad injury yesterday- normally wed see his market price tumble- it hasnt, because people arent listing to sell, they are accepting the lower bids- the price stays.

So currently we arent really seeing players drop and therefor the footie- even though players are being dropped for lower bids.

Hope that makes sense. Might very well be wrong on some points- very open to others explaining.

Your wrong the calculation is this

Number of Man Utd fans that live in Manchester x the amount of shots Andy Cole had before he scored / how many times the Peterborugh chairman lost his shit because they are not even in the play offs (LOL LOL LOL) x how much rainfall there was in 1984.

Subtract that by the number of people that think I'm a nob head x the age of next doors dog add on how many tigers live in 'Merica

Plus 1

There is your answer.

• @Vespasian32 youd hope so...Farouk Mustapha shouldnt be counted

• Seeing the few answers, I guess I will disregard these numbers when it comes to deciding when to buy or sell. Thanks

• This is how I understand it: The FOOTIE is a representation of the money in the index, like a stock market. It is nothing to do with individual player values (let's face it, there's 4000 players on the index, with an average value of around £1, so it's definitely not that, even if you take into account share split maths).

On day 1 its value was set at 1000 with that being equivalent to whatever cash was in the index.

Now it is 194k, that means there is 194x as much in the index as day 1.

So say the total cash in players on day 1 equalled £30,000 (I've just plucked out of the air, nobody knows this) now that total cash is 194x30,000 = £5,820,000.

The blue number is how much it has gone up or down in the last 24hrs. So if its gone up by 1000 points, using the example above it means £30,000 more cash has been put into the index (again, I don't know that figure so this is just an example).

I'm pretty sure this is the case, as I have an extremely diverse portfolio and I tend to follow the line of the FOOTIE, apart from IPO days, which I don't get involved with, so on these days I go down whilst the FOOTIE goes up.

• @kristiang85 yep this rings a bell.

• I think there will be a bit of a reset when we have full order books and player values are calculated by mid prices.

• @kristiang85 That makes sense. Thanks

• @Millerman said in *Footie* explained:

@Westy said in *Footie* explained:

The first number is meant to be linked somehow to the cost of one share in every player i think? So a measure of how the whole platform is growing. The second number is how much it has risen or dropped from previous day. The figures we see are always a day behind to current day.

Your wrong the calculation is this

Number of Man Utd fans that live in Manchester x the amount of shots Andy Cole had before he scored / how many times the Peterborugh chairman lost his shit because they are not even in the play offs (LOL LOL LOL) x how much rainfall there was in 1984.

Subtract that by the number of people that think I'm a nob head x the age of next doors dog add on how many tigers live in 'Merica

Plus 1

There is your answer.

Of all the attempts to explain what the footie is over the 2 years I've been on FI, I think this is probably the closest explanation to the truth 👍

• @Westy said in *Footie* explained:

I think there will be a bit of a reset when we have full order books and player values are calculated by mid prices.

I'm not sure why that would be the case, as it doesn't change how much cash is in the index - it has nothing to do with player values. Eg a £5 player who was added 4 years ago will have a lot more money in them than a £5 player added in January, as the IPO prices start a lot higher now. So player values are irrelevant in my view for the FOOTIE.

You could be right for changing the calculation of portfolio values though, however I don't see FI doing that as giving everybody a 10% drop is not good optics.

• @kristiang85 head towards something a bit more like the FTSE if they want to be a stock market. They could calculate it simalrly- share price at midnight x shares in the player on the platform- maybe a step too far.

• My understanding is that the footie is a base tracker like on any index. Movement is calculated on basis of inflow versus outflow and the number daily is the delta ... a positive being more new money distributed in the index then taken out in last 24 hrs.
    The points is where I have no idea ,ie the monetary calculation value of each percentage point .
    Me should not have changed any fundamentals other then there is a lag on money moving out now without the IS function so harder to sell up positions which stunts moving out this temporarily creating a false footie where easy to deposit and hard to sell up.
    The key number is the main footie count which indicates the growth over time from the baseline set when introduced . I believe this represents at the simplest level substantial growth which is reassuring to me.