Messi or Ocampos

• Hi guys,

If i was to invest an equal amount of money for two years. Who would it be on ... . Taking into account capital appreciation/depreciation, dividend wins etc.

Your thoughts please.

• Oscampos for me long term.

Messi is undoubedly still the 🐐 and will continue to win plenty of divs but I can’t see massive cap app. He’s 33 in a couple of weeks so exiting a 35 year old in 2 years may not be overly straightforward. He does have the WC though so maybe the build up to that is your exit point.

Just think Ocampos has more potential for cap alp, transfer links etc.

I don’t hold either of them so am by no means an expert.

• For a 2 year hold I think there can be little doubt ocampos will be the more profitable

• @MI25 said in Messi or Ocampos:

Hi guys,

If i was to invest an equal amount of money for two years. Who would it be on ... . Taking into account capital appreciation/depreciation, dividend wins etc.

Your thoughts please.

This is very much like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Mondeo, but I'll give it a go.

Messi is on a different planet to Ocampos and will win about 10x the PB Ocampos will next season. Also, Messi is a forward and Ocampos is a midfielder, so Ocampos faces more PB opposition each game day.

But, Messi is a depreciating, risky asset that I would not hold for longer than 6-12 months.

At his current price, when he retires, anyone invested is stuck in a trade that they can no longer exit. All money lost. So, unless he wins PB near every week and MB at least twice a month, you would be unlikely to break even. Messi will be a case of fastest finger first when exiting the trade.

At his current price, you could hold Ocampos for the full 3 year bet and likely exit with capital appreciation (if nothing else).

But that's the ridiculous nature of the index. The best player in the world is worth less than a middle of the road 25 year old.

• @MickTurbo

This is my point. Offcourse currently messi is the best no doubt.. ocampos doesnt come anywhere near .. .i'm talking FI terms strictly and a two year period taking all factors of FI into account. .. i agree with you

• @johnboywalker

Precisely my point. I'm looking at it from the FI ppint of view only!

Messi is genius and still is. ..

• To be honest I think this is a bit of a weird comparison, most people buying Messi now will not be looking to hold for 2 years. I think you could say this for most 25 year old midfielders who play in Europe and for their country, I wouldn't say it's Ocampos' brilliance as a FI hold that means he'll be a better 2 year hold than Messi

• Messi has returned 190p in dividends just this season, approx 150% of Ocampus current price, but his age makes him a depreciating asset but I'd still rate him a better FI buy than Ocampos but wouldn't tie him to a specific timescale as that means you'd be a hostage to market sentiment & other holders action.

• I’m a little surprised messi IS is 5 quid.
    Considering there’s no ‘IS’ that’s not too shabby for an ‘old’ player.

• @ChazFI123

Where are the buyers going to come from .. its not easy to sell as it was before.. .especially older players with high value. .. many traders will lose koney on messi in time to come.. . .I see messi dropping in value end of season .. well the spread will be quite big by the end of the season .. .

• @MI25 haha just created a similar thread about Felix vs Messi. A fellow trader who is uncertain about Messi..

Messi vs Ocampos over two years for me would be Messi I think.... 🤔 Will likely change my mind later though.

• @MI25 For two years, neither. For six months Messi.

• Messi, up until 25 minutes after the market is reopened after shutting down for the launch of the next dividends increase...