Has this ever happened to you?

• I have owned some players at some painfully cheap prices (TAA 35p). There is however one purchase that is possibly the highlight and one of regrets of mine. I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else...

It was end of season time some time late April / May 2018. I was watching PSG vs Guincamp, and before the game I saw the name Marcus Thuram in the Guincamp line up; I googled him and saw the family link, looked on the index and he wasn't on there. He scored twice in a 2 2 draw and looked ridiculously good.

Just by chance, I typed his name in the searchbox on FI again after the game, and suddenly he was there. This was pre share split, and he appeared at 78p. I think I bought 2200 and took him to a quid.
    No one else bought him, and during the summer I lost patience and got rid, Had I kept him, I'd now have 7500 at 26p.

Was this something that happened regularly in the early days? I've never heard anyone else mention anything like this before. A player just dropping after a game

• @Baydog

Did something similar with Odion Ighalo, loaded up on him at 20p a couple of transfer windows back whilst in still China, he didn't move & I lost my nerve so dumped several thousand for 22p. Needless to say the next window Man Utd came calling & he went to 220p I finally bought him back at 175p as he dipped & again at 99p when ME started but I feel just a little bit sick everytime I look at him in my port, even though he's earned me 57p in dividends & some decent capital appreciation on my 145p average price. Not every profitable trade has great memories!

• The only reason why I ask - I just think it would be a great way to introduce players instead of IPO events.
    I am all for rewarding research, when I first started on FI I was researching constantly, watching games constantly. I have become quite lazy. If they announce an IPO I wait until someone does a write up.
    If they dropped IPO's during or after games, or randomly, it would probably solve IT issues. It would also reward those who are constantly researching etc. It would keep lazy traders on their toes

• @Baydog I love that idea.

• @Baydog

I think that OB's will have changed IPO's for good now; rather than the fastest finger first mob buying up as many as they can afford to create FOMO before profitably flipping them minutes later, the price can now be determined by actual supply & demand. Set up a shadow auction, rather like current buy orders where real money is tied up to determine the demand before issuing a suitable supply at a fair market price, no need to stress the IT or wait for a time sensitive IPO drop - problem solved. This is FI however, so they can probably find a way to mess it up.

• @Baydog

Sancho was one of my first buys (Christmas 2018) for around £2.25 in post share-split terms. It seemed inevitable that he'd sky rocket and pick up a whole bunch of dividends but I was new and impatient so I binned him off.

Since selling him, I've made countless comments on here about why he was destined to king, explaining why I thought he was one of the safest bets on the Index but unexplainably, I've never gone back in. If I had stayed on him, his dividends alone so far would have paid his fee back.

Whenever I feel like I know what I'm doing on here, I remind myself about that Sancho trade ha and I'll probably make a similar kind of post to this in a year and still won't have gotten in.

• @Geronimo159387

Yes, I suspect you are probably right. What would possibly be a good middle ground... They could do IPO events for the obvious ones - then drop in players at random for the ones who are missing from the system, but don't really command any big ticket draw

• @Dan-The-Man said in Has this ever happened to you?:

@Baydog

Sancho was one of my first buys (Christmas 2018) for around £2.25 in post share-split terms. It seemed inevitable that he'd sky rocket and pick up a whole bunch of dividends but I was new and impatient so I binned him off.

Since selling him, I've made countless comments on here about why he was destined to king, explaining why I thought he was one of the safest bets on the Index but unexplainably, I've never gone back in. If I had stayed on him, his dividends alone so far would have paid his fee back.

Whenever I feel like I know what I'm doing on here, I remind myself about that Sancho trade ha and I'll probably make a similar kind of post to this in a year and still won't have gotten in.

😂 Don't talk to me about Sancho, £2.21... My biggest failure as a trader is bitterness. I have not bought back in on countless occasions out of simple bitterness. It is allowing emotion into the equation in my case certainly

• @Baydog said in Has this ever happened to you?:

The only reason why I ask - I just think it would be a great way to introduce players instead of IPO events.
    I am all for rewarding research, when I first started on FI I was researching constantly, watching games constantly. I have become quite lazy. If they announce an IPO I wait until someone does a write up.
    If they dropped IPO's during or after games, or randomly, it would probably solve IT issues. It would also reward those who are constantly researching etc. It would keep lazy traders on their toes

I think this rewarding luck more than research as otherwise you'd continuously have to be searching for players on FI in the hope that they'd finally added Tapsoba, Reyna, Baumgartner, Wirtz etc to give a few recent examples from only one league.

Someone who knew about them months ago may miss out vs someone who learned about them that day. I think it's extremely harsh to call that lazy trading.

• @FootballArgos

I see your point.. I think for myself, the Thuram moment was such a buzz, that it could be very rewarding financially and otherwise for those who watch a lot of games if players not on the platform are introduced.
    But yes, probably ruin games if you're sat there typing a name in the search box over and over 😂

• @Baydog I've had instances where players sporadically disappear from search results and then appear at other times. The Thuram scenario may have been similar? I find the safest way is to always start searching with the first name. I've found surname searches to be very inconsistent. Is this how you searched?

FI have also changed the names of players a few times, but very much doubt this was the case here. Confused me when I bought 'Rodri', but sold Rodrigo Hernandez two years later!

I like the idea of introducing players quietly, but my concern with this is that some users would just set bots to find players the instance they are live (constantly searching) and buy before anyone else. Same as what happens now really, but at least we can narrow it down to an hour or two slot to give us a chance.

I think bidding is the way to go on IPOs.

• @Metropolis said in Has this ever happened to you?:

@Baydog I've had instances where players sporadically disappear from search results and then appear at other times. The Thuram scenario may have been similar? I find the safest way is to always start searching with the first name. I've found surname searches to be very inconsistent. Is this how you searched?

This definitely happened... I have just looked back through my purchase history and tallied it with the fixture. It was PSG vs Guincamp on 28/04/2018. Thuram didn't score but I remember him playing a blinder. If he had been on the index I wold have bought him during the game. But my purchase history shows I was only buying him afterwards... If anyone can tell me otherwise (an ipo date or an earlier purchase) then I'd be happy to accept it was a typo - but I remember it very well and I would have tried every typing variation available...
    I don't know how to upload images on here (I have tried clicking the image box and it inserts text saying image rather than taking me to files), but I have screenshots of my buy times etc. I'm very confident he was just dropped onto the platform after the game

• @Baydog IPO'd on 22/01/2018 for 70p.

https://news.footballindex.co.uk/monday-22nd-january-ipos/

Im guessing it's a search thing, or bug at the time? May be worth asking just in case.

For images, I think you need to host elsewhere and embed the link.

• @Metropolis

You lost me at "host" and "embed" I am afraid 😂

Out of interest - how would you see a bidding system for ipo's working? I can;t really picture in my head how a player is priced, and how a punter can then make offers?
    I like simplicity. I think probably 75% of IPO's hold little market interest. They just add to system crashes when they don't need to be in the equation. My suggestion is save IPO's for the high interest players, just chuck the rest out at random. Those who put in the time watching the ticker will be rewarded. Lazy traders such as myself would have to up their game

• @Baydog sorry for the delay.

Regarding images, I believe these can't be added straight to the post, but you need to have it online elsewhere. You then use the link of this to display it in the post. Could be wrong though...

IPO bidding. I'm not an expert on this and others can likely explain better, but if FI announced an IPO say 48 hours in advance, we could use a bidding system to say how much we are willing to pay for the player, and they would then take the average of the top 300(?) or similar. It would prevent overpriced IPOs, and underpriced! As I said, others have better knowledge around this, so worth reading up on.