Is nobody on here concerned?

• @NewUser138669

As has been said, long term holders cashing in followed by the inevitable kneejerking. Unfortunately he's still too pricey for me. As for Sane, I worry about his gametime now the title has been won and could the return of Reus to regular first team action reduce his minutes for the national side??

• time to lump on for me.... I see more trends like this happening in the future as seasons close people lose interest which will have an effect on prices... That is likely to continue in the summer when there is no tournament but it will be buoyed around May time every two years when nations pick their squads for World Cups & Euros... Then perhaps a volatile/negative period in the late summer down to transfer rumours and not much elsewhere happening... That is then boosted by Aug/Sep when the season starts... Oct/Nov/Dec are always healthy as players find their form feet and folk look out for January deals.... Jan then goes mad, Feb settles down but is still healthy and April/May begin to quiet.... If we all understand and work with the trends then there is nothing to fear.

• @NewUser137572
    Yeah thats true. I do see this as an investment time so the dropping prices is ok for me.
    As for Sane, pep has said that he will rest some players and especially those that needs to be fresh for WC. So i think that there will be a lot of rotation in the front as they have loads of alternative. But i hardly see Reus taking game time from Sane..? reus has not impressed at all

• @NewUser137572 said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

@NewUser138669

As has been said, long term holders cashing in followed by the inevitable kneejerking. Unfortunately he's still too pricey for me. As for Sane, I worry about his gametime now the title has been won and could the return of Reus to regular first team action reduce his minutes for the national side??

I think he'll start for Germany. Reus didnt even make the squad for the March friendlies.

Agree that Ronaldo is still pricey though. He's 33, so clearly at risk as a long-term hold. He might well return a dozen MB wins next month, but equally a broken metatarsal at this stage in his career could send him the way of Zlatan.

• what's your thoughts on Griezmann? he has been dropping in price a lot recently

• @Mazza-magic I don't think Ronaldo is cheap at around £9. Is Ronaldo really going to collect £9 worth of dividends per future back over the course of his career, so that you can even breakeven? He is 33 and probably has 3 years left in him. Like Ibrahimovic he will be crashing down to around 50p and I hope you cash in whilst he is still at his top price.

• @NewUser59855 said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

@Mazza-magic I don't think Ronaldo is cheap at around £9. Is Ronaldo really going to collect £9 worth of dividends per future back over the course of his career, so that you can even breakeven? He is 33 and probably has 3 years left in him. Like Ibrahimovic he will be crashing down to around 50p and I hope you cash in whilst he is still at his top price.

Rules of the big twitter traders
    1....don’t slag-off media players!!!
    2..... don’t burst the bubble of delusional value
    3..... accept Ronaldo is cheap for a world class OAP
    4.... £9.... or £900 for 100 is cheap despite fact 12 months back was 32 and worth £2
    5.... it’s impossible for him to go China because he’s Ronaldo and he will be soon in EPL
    6...don’t talk about the iminant drop from £9 to 90p

OMG you just broke all them rules mate 🤪😜

Let’s here the peoples arguement that hold him please?? Let’s debate!!!!!!

• @NewUser59855 (and @Chicken-Badge since you seem to be having one of those days) - That's not a good way to calculate value. I don't think there's an investment in the world where you would expect 100% return through dividends. Unless you're silly enough not to sell at all before he retires, you will get money back from selling too. If you buy at 8.92, he wins 18p dividends next week, his price rises to 9.20 and you sell to market you've made a very healthy profit. Personally I wouldn't be buying him right now either but that is a completely different point to the one you make and the post from CB, which is by the way facile and not based on anything I've ever seen anyone say anywhere. But for the sake of it I'll deconstruct it:

1. It's fine to "slag off" media players - but you complain that MB should be removed from the index and anyone who buys a player at over 5.00 "needs their head checked" or similar, even though it's clearly a perfectly efficient way to make money and what the index was originally based on.

2. Please do! But do it with accurate information, not "I didn't make money that way" or "other players are cheaper". Irrelevant to the point you claim to make.

3. It's not about being cheap, it's about offering value. Whether he does or not is a reasonable argument to have but you're not doing that, you're ranting.

4. Now we're getting somewhere close to a reasonable point, but again, it's perfectly possible to be cheap in both cases because prices are relative to returns and the market.

5. No one has said that. If he goes to China of course his price will go off a cliff. If he's continually linked to United again this summer his price will rise. That's the gamble we all take. And I'm not getting into a ridiculous discussion about whether dividends are important to price movements again (hint: they are).

6. Talk away, but try and have some basis for your arguments.

7. No he didn't, he questioned whether Ronaldo offers value, which is a very legitimate question. In my view he did so in a misguided way, as I've explained.

8. Debate sounds good. Do you have anything useful to add to one?

• @Chicken-Badge said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

@NewUser59855 said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

@Mazza-magic I don't think Ronaldo is cheap at around £9. Is Ronaldo really going to collect £9 worth of dividends per future back over the course of his career, so that you can even breakeven? He is 33 and probably has 3 years left in him. Like Ibrahimovic he will be crashing down to around 50p and I hope you cash in whilst he is still at his top price.

Rules of the big twitter traders
    1....don’t slag-off media players!!!
    2..... don’t burst the bubble of delusional value
    3..... accept Ronaldo is cheap for a world class OAP
    4.... £9.... or £900 for 100 is cheap despite fact 12 months back was 32 and worth £2
    5.... it’s impossible for him to go China because he’s Ronaldo and he will be soon in EPL
    6...don’t talk about the iminant drop from £9 to 90p

OMG you just broke all them rules mate 🤪😜

Let’s here the peoples arguement that hold him please?? Let’s debate!!!!!!

Hahahahaha this is so true, and the 2 down votes just confirm it

• @BL__FI said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

@NewUser59855 (and @Chicken-Badge since you seem to be having one of those days) - That's not a good way to calculate value. I don't think there's an investment in the world where you would expect 100% return through dividends. Unless you're silly enough not to sell at all before he retires, you will get money back from selling too. If you buy at 8.92, he wins 18p dividends next week, his price rises to 9.20 and you sell to market you've made a very healthy profit. Personally I wouldn't be buying him right now either but that is a completely different point to the one you make and the post from CB, which is by the way facile and not based on anything I've ever seen anyone say anywhere. But for the sake of it I'll deconstruct it:

1. It's fine to "slag off" media players - but you complain that MB should be removed from the index and anyone who buys a player at over 5.00 "needs their head checked" or similar, even though it's clearly a perfectly efficient way to make money and what the index was originally based on.

2. Please do! But do it with accurate information, not "I didn't make money that way" or "other players are cheaper". Irrelevant to the point you claim to make.

3. It's not about being cheap, it's about offering value. Whether he does or not is a reasonable argument to have but you're not doing that, you're ranting.

4. Now we're getting somewhere close to a reasonable point, but again, it's perfectly possible to be cheap in both cases because prices are relative to returns and the market.

5. No one has said that. If he goes to China of course his price will go off a cliff. If he's continually linked to United again this summer his price will rise. That's the gamble we all take. And I'm not getting into a ridiculous discussion about whether dividends are important to price movements again (hint: they are).

6. Talk away, but try and have some basis for your arguments.

7. No he didn't, he questioned whether Ronaldo offers value, which is a very legitimate question. In my view he did so in a misguided way, as I've explained.

8. Debate sounds good. Do you have anything useful to add to one?

I think this debate will be best answered after the WC which will answer the debate for itself, i dont think anyone is saying dont buy MB players, what was said is if you dare challenge anyone about them all hell breaks lose, and the justifications of there prices

• @SMacFI Whether specifically Ronaldo's price goes up or down will be answered after the WC, that's true. I'd actually agree with you and CB that it will fall, but that doesn't mean there's no profit to be made before then. As I said in my post, questioning whether CR7 offers value is a very legitimate point. But that's not really the debate going on here. If either you or @Chicken-Badge can provide any examples (either on here or on Twitter) of people presenting these "rules" or demanding people stick to them I'd be really interested to see them. As it stands all I've seen are people complaining about media players, claiming that people who buy them are somehow mentally deficient or are ruining the Index (both actual claims that have been made on this forum), with no justification for it other than that they personally follow a different strategy. CB has made six points based on something for which he has provided no evidence, then asked for a "debate". I've responded to each of them with my reasoning.

• @Chicken-Badge Irrespective of who the player is I go on statistics and form to determine whether someone is good value. For the record I hold a diversified portfolio which includes Ronaldo but also 48 other players, mb, pb, flips and long term potential players.

Some of what you say is misleading to newbies who feel uncertain and are looking for support and encouragement especially if right now they're seeing their portfolio in the red. This forum should be a place to help newer members for the benefit of all. Yes correct 12 months ago Ronaldo was £2.06 however to put it into context, Neymar was £2.52. If you look at both their 12 months graphs they both have short term corrections and they have both rocketed over 12 months which is a good sign for the future.

For my thought process on why I hold him and will continue to for the time being, my verdict for him this season has been:

1. His recent form has been scintillating and this year he has produced in pb alone
      03/04 18p
      18/03 18p
      10/03 12p
      06/03 4p
      14/02 6p
      27/01 18p

2. I don't have the figure for his MB but he's delivered plenty for me this year. Very satisfied with the result

3. he's scored 38 goals this season and offers excellent potential to deliver braces, braces + gwg and hatricks which go a long way to winning not only pb but overall star player as his results are showing

.4 his pb baseline is high helping toward his pb. He takes pens and free kicks for real helping his pb. He starts most games helping his pb

1. he's still in the CL and the main man for his team

2. he is in the WC and the main man for his team

3. there is a little stir of mb with the man utd links which may get another run of mb and he is a constant mb winner and also with 1 name, he picks up mb points easier than most others. Plus he is Ronaldo, the media continue to love him.

4. For me he has produced 35% roi in dividends alone this season and I can only continue to see them coming based on his track record.

5. The footie only continues to rise. Despite the dips and corrections and cyclical swirling of funds from pb to mb and back again, it has risen x 17 from 1000 to 17362 in 2.5 years. The top 25 players will carry the full force of this rise and Ronaldo is still comfortably in there.

For any newbies reading this it has been correctly pointed out that the risk is he's recently turned 33 so yes there is risk of age and injuries chronologically. Biologically you could make the argument that this is offset as he is still a peak performing athlete able to last 90 mins, score with bicycle kicks and he is still critical to Real Madrid and he'd be a star player in any of the top team's no issue.

Based on the above, I am confident he still has another season in him at Real and I'm gonna hold and top up on the dips despite him being 33. If any newbies are thinking of investing in him, please diversify your portfolio. Don't put the bulk of your cash into 1 player or even 1 segment of player. If you want to invest in an pb / mb player spread your risk then if one of your players did get a career ending injury your portfolio survives. Good luck and happy trading to all that read this

• @Mr-Matt Very good post and hopefully exactly what @Chicken-Badge was looking for in terms of a debate. One small correction though - point 7 is a bit off as he only gets points for "Cristiano Ronaldo" articles. The fact that he consistently picks up MB regardless is indisputable though.

• @Mr-Matt a more than sensible assessment... I think people put the blinkers on too easily when it comes to following their strategy and their strategy only... There is profit in every player on this index but timing is essential... Like Matt says diversify your portfolio and don't put all your eggs in one basket and the pros will outweigh the cons.

• @BL__FI ah yes thank you I stand corrected. I forget he has a first name sometimes haha

• @dannypea said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

@Mr-Matt a more than sensible assessment... I think people put the blinkers on too easily when it comes to following their strategy and their strategy only... There is profit in every player on this index but timing is essential... Like Matt says diversify your portfolio and don't put all your eggs in one basket and the pros will outweigh the cons.

%100 agree your always going to be bit blinkered in your strategy as you have found what works for you. So as a new player reading all these pros and cons and different strategies and worrying who's right or who's wrong, no ones write or wrong if you, if you find a strategy that works for you and it makes you cash, so anyone unsure what road to take, diversity and try a little bit of everything, however that said were about to enter massive trend change and very volatile period so, the hard thing for new people I would say is knowing who to but that is value and not likely to maybe soon crash, whether that be WC/PB coming to an end ect , so i would always say look at historical price, I know thats hard too judge as everyones on the up so its hard to figure out who's on the up inflated by a current trend, and look at events in a month or 2months time and try and figure how that will effect his price to gage if your buying into someone that has more chance of going up or crashing

• Ronaldo is one injury away from repeating zlatan’s fate, would not touch him.

• @NewUser60527 said in Is nobody on here concerned?:

Ronaldo is one injury away from repeating zlatan’s fate, would not touch him.

Have always said this, which puts his risk through the roof, but each to there own.

• My question is would the experienced traders on here would buy in Ronaldo at current price ?
    If the answer is yes then you probably experienced enough to get out at the right time .
    I can only see newbies getting burnt on buying Ronaldo now .
    Realistically how much is Ronaldo price can rise to?
    Like I said previously majority of new user including me has missed the boat on the mAin mb players .

• @NewUser60527 Said on another forum that Ronaldo at £9 is of course a risk, but the nature of sport is that one injury could finish anyone's career, how old was Ryan Mason? Dean Ashton? Santi Cazorla etc. etc.

Also regarding China / USA transfers mentioned elsewhere, look at Carrasco, was he a safer bet than Ronaldo? His price fell from a high of £1.23 to 45p (63%) Ronaldo would have to drop to £3.60 to fall the same amount - I don't live on FI (quite yet) but am confident I'd be quick enough to react before that happened.

Please note this is not me saying pump your money into Ronaldo and as with all bets I'd suggest no-one invests more than they're willing to lose.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.