The Mr Lazy approach

• Most of us are used to reading stories of bravado of someone flipping their way to great profits in a short space of time, and up until the removal of IS as we knew it previously, this was considerably easier to do. The conversation about the removal of IS has been done to death on here, so I thought I’d give an alternative way to approach FI that is currently serving me well.

On 1 March this year, I had withdrawn everything from FI. I was happy to walk away with my profit at that time. My money was earmarked to pay for my honeymoon in full, and once that was done I was likely to have a decent enough amount left over. In all likelihood, I probably would’ve put whatever was leftover back into FI and tried to quickly flip.

On 9 March, Leicester beat Villa 4-0 in the final Premier League game for 100 days before football got canned. Unsurprisingly, my honeymoon plans also went down the kermit.

I then found myself in a position where I had a stack of cash just sat in my bank earning 0.01% interest and no opportunity to spend it on what I was supposed to. So, on 13 March I started putting money back into FI.

I was essentially starting FI all over again and I was obviously in a very fortunate position to have a blank canvas when others were dealing with the fallout of the suspension of football. Given the uncertainty of when football would resume and the likelihood of FI doing a media promotion, I started building a position in the following players on 22 March:
    Bruno
    Pogba
    Neymar
    Kane
    Sterling
    Rashford
    Ronaldo

I think 5 place media was then announced on 24 March. So I got some more money in and topped each of the above up, with the 8.25% net deposit bonus as further incentive.

Since I’ve held the above 7 players, they have returned 5.6% in dividends alone, for absolutely no effort on my part, and that’s the crux of my post.

In a world of Coronavirus, where people are dying, markets are floundering, people are losing jobs and there is general doom and gloom, where else could you expect 5.6% tax free in 3 months, for absolutely no effort? I haven’t spent ages researching, or being online at stupid hours for an IPO, or furiously refreshing Twitter to see if they’re in a lineup, or glued to a TV to flip as soon as a goal goes in. I bought these players and did nothing. It probably took me 5 minutes in total.

A lot of us have had it very good on FI for a long period of time but I've got a totally different outlook now. I certainly don’t expect to make the same sums as I did before, so I’m not trying to. I’ve tempered my expectations, and with that, my level of effort. If that means I only make 10% a year in tax free cash during a global pandemic, then I’m not about to complain about that.

I have to say I’ve really been enjoying watching the dividends add up. Those 7 players are also up 7.1% in capital appreciation, but I’m not even bothered about that. I’ve no intention of selling any of them right now even if I expect the rate of dividends to slow down with fewer media days on the cards.

A year ago I wouldn’t have settled for 5.6% over 3 months, but now I’m more than happy with it given the outside world has changed so much. Some days I don’t even bother checking my portfolio. But before it could be 20 times a day, sometimes more than that. Right now, lazy is the way forward for me and I'm thankful of having FI as a way to make some easy money.

Anyone else enjoying the easy FI life?

• @Yellow yep im slowly moving into that mr lazy approach. From my £2.5k i have managed to build a portfolio worth £8k over 2 years but with the all the recent changes i now plan to spread that £8k over about 200 players. Small holdings but fingers in every pie kind of approach. If AC is right about his expectations for the growth of the platform then im planning to go low risk and hope all my players grow as FI grows and pick up a small but constant flow of dividends along the way

• I can see the merit in both approaches above as even with Black wolfs approach of holding a larger number of players
    you can just sit back and let it work for you. (as long as those 200 players have some sort of underlying value to them)
    Im sort of in the middle in that i would like to have a port that looks after itself as im not really into short term trading but with enough players (around 40 or 50 )in it that keeps it interesting during most weekends.

• @Advinculas-Index all that should really matter when it comes to the cap app side of it is total shares held. Dividends should be what determines the individual players held

• @Yellow That's similar to strategy I have had for over a year now.

I've got a core set of players who I am holding until close to expiry, just farming divs (and nice cap app too).

I would refer to myself and yourself as an "investor" . Whereas other lads on here I would very much class more as "traders". They are in the bear pit every day or so, wheeling and dealing and working hard for good gains quickly.

I am on FI a lot though, considering I don't actually partake in trading too often (bar the odd meltdown).

• @Yellow
    This is basically what i have been doing for just under a year since i joined. Just bought premium players and sat on them, racking up the divs / CA and not spending it all on Commission and Spreads. Given me a ROI of 57% ish (about 20% came from divs) which in real money is like £1300 total quid return on a bit over £2000 deposited. Whilst its not the biggest cash haul ever as you say, its not bad for doing nothing, certainly beating the bank any how and i am very happy with the return for my first season, something similar next year would be great.

• @Yellow TBF, many traders were doing this when PB/MB was only open to the top 200 players. FI were paying out loads to traders, especially in regard to whales, thousands in dividends a week without traders doing any trading. FI brought in IPDs and opened-up PB/MB to the whole database to stimulate more trading and an increase in profits.

• I've become way too lazy for my own comfort. I bought Mo Salah because I was too lazy to double check if they were still in the CL... I almost asked someone to post a fixture list on that CL/EL thread as I was too lazy to google who is still left in even now 😂

My approach I think is similar to others above. I am covering a lot of bases, spreading my money thin and keeping a lot of involvement in matchdays. But I also like a punt, so I am building some larger positions in some cheap players... Mixed in with smaller safe holdings that will yield me regular small wins..

Part of me wants to keep a cash balance and see how everything plays out, but at no time in my two years on the platform have I managed to keep a cash balance for longer than a few days 😂

• @Baydog said in [The Mr Lazy approach]Part of me wants to keep a cash balance and see how everything plays out, but at no time in my two years on the platform have I managed to keep a cash balance for longer than a few days 😂

Tell me about it! It’s bloody impossible 🤣 I have so many grand ideas that go to buggery. It’s like having a warm apple pie one inch from your nose and someone saying don’t eat it.

• @Yellow look out...that’s the first symptoms of Whale-itis. 🐋 Not checking FI so much and buying shit loads of premium players, opening a beer and sitting back to watch the divs role in. 😉tbh, there is something incredibly satisfying about having dividends drop into your account at midnight each night. 💪🏻

• @Yellow your portfolio, minus Kane and sterling, is exactly the same as mine! I also hold Messi, Ighalo and Galanopoulos. Been very happy with the stability of my holds..not to mention the glorious amounts of ‘kerching’ they return me!

Come on Bruno and rashford tomorrow!!! Make us all proud....and rich!! 😂

• @Chris-C said in The Mr Lazy approach:

@Yellow
    This is basically what i have been doing for just under a year since i joined. Just bought premium players and sat on them, racking up the divs / CA and not spending it all on Commission and Spreads. Given me a ROI of 57% ish (about 20% came from divs) which in real money is like £1300 total quid return on a bit over £2000 deposited. Whilst its not the biggest cash haul ever as you say, its not bad for doing nothing, certainly beating the bank any how and i am very happy with the return for my first season, something similar next year would be great.

It's very good for doing nothing! Where else could you find those returns?

The other point worth mentioning is that it's very useful to have those dividends as it gives you a cash flow to either top up existing holds or diversify into other players. I have used my dividends to buy and top up cheap players in PB leagues. Jony at Lazio is my most recent for this...if he goes and gets a PB win and some capital appreciation then that's even more value from those dividends.

• @Valhalla said in The Mr Lazy approach:

@Yellow look out...that’s the first symptoms of Whale-itis. 🐋 Not checking FI so much and buying shit loads of premium players, opening a beer and sitting back to watch the divs role in. 😉tbh, there is something incredibly satisfying about having dividends drop into your account at midnight each night. 💪🏻

I'm definitely not a whale. More like Finding Nemo in that I'm much smaller and a bit of a clown(fish).

Wahey!

• @Yellow said in The Mr Lazy approach:

@Valhalla said in The Mr Lazy approach:

@Yellow look out...that’s the first symptoms of Whale-itis. 🐋 Not checking FI so much and buying shit loads of premium players, opening a beer and sitting back to watch the divs role in. 😉tbh, there is something incredibly satisfying about having dividends drop into your account at midnight each night. 💪🏻

I'm definitely not a whale. More like Finding Nemo in that I'm much smaller and a bit of a clown(fish).

Wahey!

Ba Boom! 💥🙌🏻😂

• I too have been very lazy since COVID and my profit is up from a 4% low to a high of 22% (dropped a little this last week).

All I’ve done is invest divs via ME on current holds to lower my buy price on players I have medium/long term faith in and replaced one hold as a straight swap out.

Think I’m ready for the new season and Euros not planning on doing to much other than maybe sale a transfer spec player or 2 if they peak at the level I’d like.