Jordi Alba Market indicator

• Is this indicative of the state of the market?
    Jordi Alba is a third cheaper than his pre-covid rise at 80p. In Barcelona four games since restart, he has missed one through suspension. In the other 3 he has scored and assisted and been top defender twice a total of 14p Divs including IPDs (last night he won defender with no goal or assist) and he hasn’t moved. Barca have 7 more games in La Liga all in IPD time frame and all reasonably easy + at least the CL return against Napoli.

This time a few months ago he would have been flying. People dipping in and out for profit. Now nothing. No profit for us, no commission for FI. This can’t be good

@Keegans-Bluff the boy is good.

• @Ringers Yes it is. My own thoughts are that now it’s essential to hold intrinsic value and not buy at a price above a players expected career dividends as obviously there’s no guaranteed sale.
    The reason it’s easier to buy young players, usually unproven is that it’s easy to tell yourself that Cherki will be world class, pb machine, have a huge transfer, should win £10 career divs. The reality is he very probably won’t, but it’s fathomable and traders can dream.
    With the older players they’re quite easy to get to a close intrinsic valuation, there’s no potential explosion. It’s only when a dividend increase comes we can realistically expect them to warrant bigger prices and when that happens it won’t be speculation, it will be undoubtable rises. Cold, hard rockets.

• @Ringers hopefully it's not the new norm, but at the minute value is being dictated by the get out price. If a good performance means the ME sell price goes to within 2p of the buy price, I think a lot are seeing it as a way of moving money into more profitable players in the top 200.

Once it moves to a full OB, we'll see more of a shift to more favourable conditions,but at the moment I am just glad my money is safe, which is why I am shifting some money out of a stocks and shares ISA and into the index

• I would say semedo winning pb the other night was more of an indicated that the market is flat, 26 years old and transfer links plus a pb win.
    5 years younger than alba at 80p.

• @Tom77 I was going to mention him. Three out of four games Barca full backs have won PB. They are played to score points. I’ll just sit and pick up divs, I can always get out at a small loss as long as the divs cover it.

• Forget comparative value... Ignore the rest of the market.

How much do you believe Alba is worth?

How much MB and PB do you think he will win in the rest of his career. Not IPDs as essentially they will cover trading costs. Ultimately if he isn't going to win another 80p which I suspect he won't then people shouldn't be buying him as he is not a good value bet. So he shouldn't rise.

Bit harsh on Alba as he is one of the better value players of that type but ultimately FI has a problem in the gross overvaluation of most of this kind of player. Its probably their fault as IS always created a fake value that was never really there.

• @Ringers said in Jordi Alba Market indicator:

@Tom77 I was going to mention him. Three out of four games Barca full backs have won PB. They are played to score points. I’ll just sit and pick up divs, I can always get out at a small loss as long as the divs cover it.

I bought him for the transfer links a while ago but when he won pb he was on 79P and didnt even move!
    I just think people are holding back at the moment in wait for a div increase or bonus.

• @Ringers
    Semedo looks a great buy if you can snipe him close to his average IS price, which was around 53p earlier.
    He’s relatively young and looks quality when he plays.
    How they play Roberto in front of him sometimes is baffling.

Ps I have no shares but have put in a buy order after reading your post :-)

• @Moukoko I’m not sure the money is flowing into the top 200 either as I’m quite top 200 heavy and my port has dropped 3-4% in last two weeks. I think it’s more being put into bids and or cash balances

• @Gregolocky said in Jordi Alba Market indicator:

@Moukoko I’m not sure the money is flowing into the top 200 either as I’m quite top 200 heavy and my port has dropped 3-4% in last two weeks. I think it’s more being put into bids and or cash balances

I think there is a lot of money in bids.

Mainly because we are sort of stuck between trends. We are basically in the move money from pb to transfer or world Cup phase without a world Cup and with what looks a limited transfer phase.

People also wary of MB and PB so it's not clear who to buy.

Once the next phase becomes apparent people will start buying. It's OK having money stashed in bid queues in a stagnant market but people won't be OK with missing out once things are moving.

• @mike778 said in Jordi Alba Market indicator:

@Gregolocky said in Jordi Alba Market indicator:

@Moukoko I’m not sure the money is flowing into the top 200 either as I’m quite top 200 heavy and my port has dropped 3-4% in last two weeks. I think it’s more being put into bids and or cash balances

I think there is a lot of money in bids.

Mainly because we are sort of stuck between trends. We are basically in the move money from pb to transfer or world Cup phase without a world Cup and with what looks a limited transfer phase.

People also wary of MB and PB so it's not clear who to buy.

Once the next phase becomes apparent people will start buying. It's OK having money stashed in bid queues in a stagnant market but people won't be OK with missing out once things are moving.

Should say wary of PB and mb changes so hesitant of putting money into players without knowing next year's scoring systems. Once all this is cleared up and we are into new seasons it will be very different.

• It's just a big game of chess right now. We are all waiting for FI's next move.

Everything is pretty much on hold, bar the odd spike like Foden etc

• I wonder what the role of market makers is. I was under the impression that this should be the sort of time they would be buying. If they are not buying now when are they buying?

• @Ringers

Yep, this is another in a long line of indicators that the market is struggling.

The best response is to do nothing. Don't buy or sell. Eventually FI will wonder why their commission is drying up and they'll have to act.

• @Silver said in Jordi Alba Market indicator:

I wonder what the role of market makers is. I was under the impression that this should be the sort of time they would be buying. If they are not buying now when are they buying?

What MMs do is in the T&Cs. They're there to keep the market moving and to make profits:

Market Makers
    From time to time, Share sales and purchases may be fulfilled as a result of shares being bought or sold by a “Market Maker”. For example:
    • the Sell Queue may include Sell Orders listed by a Market Maker selling Shares they previously bought or Shares they are selling as part of a self-exclusion Portfolio closure;
    • The Instant Sell Price may contain Bids by a Market Maker;
    • Bids may be fulfilled by a Market Maker opting to Instant Sell against that Bid; and/or
    • Market Makers may purchase Shares listed in the Sell Queue at the Published Buy Price.
    In these Game Rules, reference to “Traders” shall include reference to Market Makers in addition to other users on the platform. Market Maker Bids, Sell Orders, Buys and Instant Sells are not given any preference in execution order or behaviour over other customers and influence prices in the same way as other customers.

• @Ringers said in Jordi Alba Market indicator:

Is this indicative of the state of the market?
    Jordi Alba is a third cheaper than his pre-covid rise at 80p. In Barcelona four games since restart, he has missed one through suspension. In the other 3 he has scored and assisted and been top defender twice a total of 14p Divs including IPDs (last night he won defender with no goal or assist) and he hasn’t moved. Barca have 7 more games in La Liga all in IPD time frame and all reasonably easy + at least the CL return against Napoli.

This time a few months ago he would have been flying. People dipping in and out for profit. Now nothing. No profit for us, no commission for FI. This can’t be good

@Keegans-Bluff the boy is good.

Not necessarily @Ringers. It’s also an age thing. Last year Messi won PB 3 out 4 games and he don’t budge a penny.