What the freiburg?!? VAR madness

• @dannypea I think it should be more similar to cricket and tennis in that each team gets x number of referrals rather than the ref just stopping it whenever. The captain is the only one that can ask for a review (but can obviously take advice from his teammates) and he can only appeal when the ball is out of play. If there is any doubt in the decision then it stays with the on field referee’s decision. A review must be indicated before the ball next enters play.
    This system means the players can’t possibly be confused as they are the ones that are initiating the review

• Maybe they could line a few more assistants up behind the goal :-D seriously what do those guys do!?

I must admit I like VAR in rugby / cricket as you can hear the conversation between the VAR and the ref so you know exactly how they've come to the decision, and they use the idea ''is there any reason I shouldn't / can't....'' rather than ''did you see anything???!''

• @dannypea to be fair tho in that England game the contact was purely accidental so no card necessary but it was a penalty as Chiesas foot was stood on!

• @Blue-Python said in What the freiburg?!? VAR madness:

@dannypea I think it should be more similar to cricket and tennis in that each team gets x number of referrals rather than the ref just stopping it whenever. The captain is the only one that can ask for a review (but can obviously take advice from his teammates) and he can only appeal when the ball is out of play. If there is any doubt in the decision then it stays with the on field referee’s decision. A review must be indicated before the ball next enters play.
    This system means the players can’t possibly be confused as they are the ones that are initiating the review

The problem with this is that if a team has a review late on in the game and concedes a goal, they will review it as they might as well on the off chance they see something to disallow the goal. It would be terrible and ruin the game as teams try and use reviews up.

I would have it like challenges in nfl where a team loses something if their challenge fails. In this case, if you challenge and dont win the challenge you lose a substitution.

It should take pressure off ref , prevent howlers, block blatant divers and more importantly stop "might as well challenge " challenges.

• I don’t like VAR , every goal scored there’s going to be some form of infringement like slight push , block , pulling of shirt from attackers and defenders . We can’t wait 2-3 mins to review incidents , it takes the excitement away . When a players scores should they celebrate or wait ?
    Football without controversy is boring lol

• @mike778 This happens in cricket all the time. If each team is only allowed 1 incorrect review a half and they still have that review left in the last minutes then they would have every right to review it. If there was a foul in the build up to the goal then it should be disallowed.
    Yeah it takes a bit of time to review atm and that's frustrating but the process can only improve the more it's used.
    What I really don't understand is the opinion of some people that 'we like errors, it makes it interesting' . To me that's just nonsense

@mike778 This happens in cricket all the time. If each team is only allowed 1 incorrect review a half and they still have that review left in the last minutes then they would have every right to review it. If there was a foul in the build up to the goal then it should be disallowed.
    Yeah it takes a bit of time to review atm and that's frustrating but the process can only improve the more it's used.
    What I really don't understand is the opinion of some people that 'we like errors, it makes it interesting' . To me that's just nonsense

I know it happens in cricket and thats why I dont want it in football.

Lose a substitution ... then you only challenge if you know you are right as the ref has made a howler.

Cricket is a good example ... its not an exciting sport anyway but before there was a goal like feeling when umpire gave a wicket. Now thats out the window as you have to wait for the bats to have a chat and decide whether to review then if its lbw and they have reviews left they generally do review. By the end its oh we got a wicket.

The only thing I would consider reviewing calles for by ref as opposed to challenges is red cards. They ruin matches for fans so in my book have to be right.

• Cricket & tennis use VAR perfectly as it's much easier to review straight forward decisions... Rugby & American Football use it well but it still throws up contentious decisions (as the Welsh will still go on about during the last six nations) but because the officials are miked up they explain their decisions to us all which help out hugely when it comes to understanding why they were given in the first place...

I like goal-line technology... That's been a huge success but I feel we have a long way to go before getting VAR right... Football has changed and we need to accept that but it can't go in to these things half hearted... It needs proper video boards & proper explanation on each and every decision made by this format because the whole reason they have it in place is supposed to be to stop all this contentious decision making!!!

Rather than reviewing penaltys and goals in this amateurish way I would much rather see the captain of each team given one challenge per game on any decision 'made' by a referee so if he and his teammates are 100% confident they can appeal a decision and review it to video.... If the Ref is wrong then he changes it... if not then play on... Why make football so complicated when the beauty of the game is its simplicity!!!

• @dannypea Is this not literally what I suggeted? : P

• @mike778 If your main complaint is teams using them at the end of the game then I don't think losing a substitution is exactly a deterrent

• Don’t get me started on VAR. So easy to use but instead they’re making it as confusing and difficult as possible 🤦‍♂️

@mike778 If your main complaint is teams using them at the end of the game then I don't think losing a substitution is exactly a deterrent

Not just the end of the game ...

Just if you give people referrals they will use them before they lose them. Is that what we want ? People just referring stuff just in case ? It happens in cricket , it blatantly happens in tennis to extremes.

Honestly I would go further and have failed reviews decide the game if its a draw ... costing a sub is more realistic though and would deter spurious referrals.

• @mike778
    It works in nfl because (not just the stop start nature of the game) teams only review if they are pretty sure as they lose a timeout which impacts on time management at the end of the game.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.