Will We See More Leagues Added To PB?

• Arguably the biggest risk on Football Index is that a player moves to a non-PB league.

I was holding Bale last summer when the China rumours hit and his price nose-dived, dropping 20% within seconds. It was scary to see but I was able to 'Instant Sell' on the way down and at least escape with some of my profits. Under the new system, that's just not possible and that's pretty terrifying.

Ever Banega is a proven PB winner and picked up TOP MID last night, leading to one of the sorriest sights you can see on the Football Index.... A player winning PB, with no 'Sell' price.

0_1593267622452_Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 09.55.10.png

Given that Adam Cole's objective, is to see 10x the levels of investment... wouldn't it make sense to remove such a big risks for customers?

Adding the likes of CSL, MLS, Eredivisie and Liga Nos to PB would reduce our risk significantly. An alternative solution, would be to create a 'TOP 5 LEAGUES PB' and 'REST OF THE WORLD PB' prize. The ROTW prize could be smaller if need be, so as to keep the tiered system in place but it would at least give players a reason to buy into the likes of Banega, replacing the safety net that 'Instant Sell' used to be.

• No!!!!!!!

• @Splurger_Dan

No, you don't think they will add more or NO, you don't want them to?

• I could see the appeal of a Rest of the world with a smaller scale dividend as this would also increase the appeal of players like Messi and Ronaldo with traders anticipating the PBdivs they would pick up playing in the twilight of their careers in the Argentinian/ Portuguese leagues, it would also reduce the possibility of traders being lefts with turkeys like Ighalo if they ended up back in Russia.
    I suppose it raises a number of questions though like

How many leagues would a ROTW cover? (obviously the more they introduce the more of a lottery it would become)

I suspect once NASDAQ are on board it would make it far easier for them to implement, but whether its feasible for them to do so whilst protecting and not pissing off the majority of larger portfolios (something i guess they will be mindful of). But whilst at first i was going to respond by dismissing it out of hand, i can see it has some merits.

In answer to your question though - I dont think so for at least 3 or 4 years. Possibly in the long term though.

• @Dan-The-Man said in Will We See More Leagues Added To PB?:

@Splurger_Dan

No, you don't think they will add more or NO, you don't want them to?

No, to the question in the title. I dont think they will add more pb leagues. Not in the foreseeable future anyway.

• @Advinculas-Index said in Will We See More Leagues Added To PB?:

In answer to your question though - I dont think so for at least 3 or 4 years. Possibly in the long term though.

Something Adam said in his Liquidity post yesterday gave me the thought.

He mentioned that only a small percentage of players didn't have a sell price but he went on to say... "You have our assurances that this number will significantly reduce over the next month" .... He said that whilst also saying... "there can be no suggestion whatsoever that we have the control or ability to manipulate prices".

So... if they aren't going to be propping up players... but they are going to be tackling the problem... that to me suggests it is possibly coming as part of the dividend table.... his confidence was high that the situation would change within a month... and that coincides with him releasing the new dividend table...

I'm not rushing out to buy non-PB league players mind... well, none more so than usual anyway... but if he announces something like that, I wouldn't be shocked either.

How many leagues would a ROTW cover? (obviously the more they introduce the more of a lottery it would become)

The main secondary leagues are CSL, MLS, Eredivisie and Liga Nos though given that the Index is made for Brits, I could see a case being made to include the Championship in there.

whether its feasible for them to do so whilst protecting and not pissing off the majority of larger portfolios (something i guess they will be mindful of).

Whilst I think just about any change at any time, would piss someone off and no change at all, would piss others off... I think the majority would be pleased for FI to remove one of the biggest risks on the Index.

Can you imagine the fear in the market if some Saudi Prince bought up the AJAX shares and started picking up top tier talent?

• I think the sheer amount of IPO's required would make this unrealistic personally

• @MickTurbo

They're redesigning the IPO system though right? Could it be to tackle volume?

• @Dan-The-Man quite possibly but I was referring to the dilution of current PB eligible players when somebody like Carlos Vela could quite realistically challenge most weeks and therefore be somewhat valuable, as well as ppl not currently on the index like bloody Bradley Wright-Phillips

• @MickTurbo said in Will We See More Leagues Added To PB?:

@Dan-The-Man quite possibly but I was referring to the dilution of current PB eligible players when somebody like Carlos Vela could quite realistically challenge most weeks and therefore be somewhat valuable, as well as ppl not currently on the index like bloody Bradley Wright-Phillips

I see what you're saying like.

I think the way around that would be to make it a new class of dividends... and pay out significantly smaller amounts.

So for example,

Top 5 Leagues TOP Striker = 16p
    Alternative 5 Leagues TOP STRIKER = 4p

It probably wouldn't detract as much because people would still be chasing the 16p but it would give incentive for people to buy into the lower end of the market.

• @Dan-The-Man that would probably be workable to be fair, but I wouldn't bet on it happening personally

• Not happening ever.

@Dan-The-Man that would probably be workable to be fair, but I wouldn't bet on it happening personally

Yeah, you're probably right, I'm just not sure why he was so confident that the number of players with no sell price would dramatically decrease.

• I don’t see it happening but I love the idea and I’d be all for it - you can do as much research as you want into a player but if they stay at Ajax or benfica year after year they’re never likely to be a really good investment. FI is all about football knowledge and I can’t see how rewarding more obscure knowledge and in-depth research could be a bad thing.

@MickTurbo said in Will We See More Leagues Added To PB?:

@Dan-The-Man that would probably be workable to be fair, but I wouldn't bet on it happening personally

Yeah, you're probably right, I'm just not sure why he was so confident that the number of players with no sell price would dramatically decrease.

Market makers

@Dan-The-Man said in Will We See More Leagues Added To PB?:

Market makers

Kinda conflicts with "there can be no suggestion whatsoever that we have the control or ability to manipulate prices".

Market makers

Kinda conflicts with "there can be no suggestion whatsoever that we have the control or ability to manipulate prices".

Buy price maybe, but if memory serves until recently, every single player on the index had a sell price which was set by FI. If this was in contravention of some gambling rules or whatever then the nigh on 3,500 IS prices dictated solely by FI would likely have been jumped on pretty quickly by the authorities.

The quote you've picked out would logically refer to buy prices only I'd have thought

Market makers

Buy price maybe, but if memory serves until recently, every single player on the index had a sell price which was set by FI. If this was in contravention of some gambling rules or whatever then the nigh on 3,500 IS prices dictated solely by FI would likely have been jumped on pretty quickly by the authorities.

The quote you've picked out would logically refer to buy prices only I'd have thought

Yeah sure, but they kind of go hand in hand right? One props up the other. The reason there's been such a backlash to the removal of Instant Sell, is because it increased the risk/devalued the futures.

I don't know Mick, you're probably bang on to be fair. They mentioned Market Makers before and I guess if they've got a bank on board, it's a 3rd party, so removes them from the process and ticks all the boxes.

Happy times if that is the case.

• Interesting concept but two major headaches:-

1. Cut-off time for PB awards is midnight. There may be an issue in some regions where one day fixtures could be over two days (GMT).
    2. The accuracy and availability of OPTA stats in other regions

• But I kinda like it