Advice for new traders

• @NewUser118042 @CleanShirtTrader started a great forum for this purpose. It's called FAQ but a few of us contributed to try and give advice to new traders. The index has grown from the 1st day I started and I don't see any reason for it to stop, so today is the best day to start - unless you've got a time machine :-D But read the advice and start steady. Happy trading

http://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/1417/football-index-faqs/13

• I would advice to look at the 'Top 200' and 'Squad Players' lists by sorting by 'Increase' and seeing what players traders are investing in....try investing in players that are within the top 10 increases in both lists?

• Thanks for linking that!

• Not sure if you were being ironic @AndyP32? @NewUser118042 please be aware that buying from increase lists is a very risky tactic. Obviously depends on the players involved, some of them will have a lot further to climb, but in many cases if they're already high on the increase list or even worse in the "Trending" list then they may be approaching their current peak and people who bought earlier than you could be about to sell to take their profit and leave you in minus. As I say, you have to judge each case individually on its merits and there will be some potential there, but it's not an approach I would recommend personally as a general rule. If anything do the opposite and see if there's players on the decrease list who you can see good reason to have a rise in the foreseeable future (e.g. if they're injured but not for too long and were priced far higher and winning dividends before they got hurt). But lots of these kind of topics are covered in that FAQ and everyone will have a different strategy and opinions anyway.

• Personally, I take the increase/decrease with a pinch of salt and check further. Some players have a loss (let’s say 20p) and two days later it’ll say an increase of 6p but still 14p down from what it was 2 days prior and vice versa. So I’d recommend always check the graphs to see where they were when looking at their value changes 👍

• I started using fi about two months ago , I have learnt everything through reading on the forum . My mrs is always asking me why am on my phone lol . I spent a lot of time reading everything daily .
    Forget those twitter tips .
    A guy called ‘ noir ‘ sells data for £1 per month, very useful .

• @NewUser118042 Personally I would say now is the best time to be depositing. The market has dropped and there are some real bargains on offer. It will soon boom again from the wc and trader meet bonus and the index has been rising medium to long term for the past 2 years. A rising tide gathers all boats in particular some big names from within the top 50 or so players who have dropped for no good reason.

• @FranklynMary said in Advice for new traders:

Personally, I take the increase/decrease with a pinch of salt and check further. Some players have a loss (let’s say 20p) and two days later it’ll say an increase of 6p but still 14p down from what it was 2 days prior and vice versa. So I’d recommend always check the graphs to see where they were when looking at their value changes 👍

Yeah this is a good point actually, should have mentioned that. Also leads on to the general essential tip of always dig deep and do your research!

• @BL__FI not on purpose to be honest....isn't it important to invest in players that other traders are investing in?

wouldn't it be more risky to invest off your own instincts without looking at the market movements?

• I'd ignore the increase/decrease as a reason for investing. It's lazy, and all trades should be done on the back of consideration for a lot of things, not just recent swings.
    At best, it's something to be aware of.

• Careful with the flippers - they are known to make a players price surge (by buying), other FI traders jump on, flippers sell out at a profit and the FI trade followers are left nursing a negative position..

• @Happy-Hornet said in Advice for new traders:

Careful with the flippers - they are known to make a players price surge (by buying), other FI traders jump on, flippers sell out at a profit and the FI trade followers are left nursing a negative position..

This is 500% right.... especially watch out for players tranding for no reason or wrong reason too... so often we see a player break a foot and he trends when people question it someone makes a excuse of a transfer romours the reason however the rumour will be months old and the newbie is being used has a instrument for the larger trader to compensate for fact there’s not has much growth has there was in early season... so what Mr Happy Watford Fan says is spot on!!

• @NewUser118042 I've only been on this platform for a couple of months but the same rules apply here as in any form of trading.

• Know what you are trading. Don't just randomly have a punt on some guy you heard a transfer rumour about. If you've been following the players progress for a while and believe in their potential to be valuable on THIS platform then consider buying.

• Have a strategy and stick to it. Are you looking to make money from mb/pb dividend payouts or are you looking at longer term player growth or a mix of both, which brings me on to my next point.

• Diversify your portfolio. Seems tempting to go big on top 10 players, but there's high risk. You want to support your portfolio with a baseline of steadily growing players who may not win huge dividend payouts but will provide stable profits over the longer term.

• Buy low and sell high. Seems obvious, but buying a player top of the increase list is the exact opposite of that. There you are buying high. Then when that players price starts to drop again you are buggered. After a sharp spike in a price expect profits to be taken out, so just ignore those players until their price drops again, and if you have bought them high, don't panic sell, if you believe the player has real long term value then its worth investing more as the players price "bottoms out" ready for a steady rebound.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.