Buzz point allocation

• Is there anywhere that explains how a news story gets allocated points?

I ask as Alex Ox-Chamberlain got 100 points today for a story that's effectively not even about him, but Maddison got 60 points for an article linking him to 2 of the big 6 in the prem.

Doesn't really seem right?

• https://youtu.be/uw3GbsY_Pbc

You need to watch this YouTube video above which explains the AFIN111 FI Towers scoring system

I personally feel it’s a load of боll0х$ however it’s been decreed by the powers that be to be the preferred method of scoring MB for the platform that is football index :-D

• Yeah it's to do with scoring points based on certain buzz words. Sometimes it can mean ppl score too much or too little for what the stories actually about but I suppose we need a scoring system to make it fair for everyone and that's the system they have. Is gonna work as good as anything I could think of I'd say.

• @John-Renwick said in Buzz point allocation:

Yeah it's to do with scoring points based on certain buzz words. Sometimes it can mean ppl score too much or too little for what the stories actually about but I suppose we need a scoring system to make it fair for everyone and that's the system they have. Is gonna work as good as anything I could think of I'd say.

The big traders are totally against a fair media system that ain’t going to sway towards players with one name of short names and that won’t benefit the big name media players in a unfair way.

Not sure if Adam cole could handle so many dummy’s thrown out the prams at once

• Shall we go over this again. The reason that neymar, salah, Ronaldo, pogba Messi etc win most media buzz is because they have way way more articles wrote about them.

Alex oxlade Chamberlain may win a buzz once in a year for example when he moved to Liverpool or if he scores a worldy etc.

Other than that the big hitters win because they have the most interest. They are the players people apparently want to read about. Nothing dodgy, just the way it is.

• @Stevo I don't get the obsession with name. If I was going to be complaining about MB and i don't it would be that the word United adds points lol. So every man u player gets little bump

• @Stevo
    Sorry but that wasn't what I was getting at in my original point.
    Both players have 1 story yet have a 40 point difference, even though the person with the lower score seems to have the 'juicier' story. So was just trying to understand how they decide what a story is worth!! Will watch the you tube video when I get home, cheers

• @CleanShirtTrader might be worth adding to the FAQ

I remember when I first started I couldn't understand why every article about Victor Lindelof was worth over 100pts until someone highlighted that ''United'' and ''Victor'' are both positive buzz words causing the automated system to score it more highly.

• @NewUser117151 it's ok mate I'm not having a dig. Just seems like people think there's some sort of unfair advantage for some players. Admittedly there may be little quirks like single names etc but at the end of the day it all comes down to the fact that the usual suspects get the most articles written about them.

I know what your saying though. It doesn't make sense about the quality of the stories for each player but as mentioned before it is really just a game and we have to play it to give ourselves the best chance to win. You win some you lose some. Like last night I lost top forward buzz for icardi cos bloody leganes scored against Villarreal to make Carlos Bacca the game winning goal holder. Very frustrating but as I say thems the rules and we have to try to give ourselves the best chance of winning.

• I would like to quickly add to the initial poster..... It doesn't matter....

I doubt James Maddison will 'ever' win a media buzz on here (under the present format) so if you can get used to the words... RONALDO, MESSI, NEYMAR, POGBA and sometimes KANE, SALAH, BALE you don't really need to worry about much else??

• @Stevo hahahaha I kept checking the Villarreal game and was hoping they would sub Bacca before he overtook Icardi and then he got bonus points for that bloody consolation!!! I've had Icardi score hat-tricks and not win PB... He really isn't made for performance buzz as the only time he ever touches the ball in a game is often when he scores!!!

• @dannypea read an article today basically of his manager giving him a telling off because he doesn't touch the ball enough or do very much and that if he did he would score twice as many. Not sure myself. Get the impression he's a poacher. I've been holding a while in the hope he gets a humongous transfer. Hopefully to the PL!

• he's certainly a poacher... I've not seen many as clinical.. Lineker, Robbie Fowler, Alan Shearer.. He's that good in front of goal... I've just read somewhere his shot percentage is under two per game so to be scoring the no of goals he does shows you he's frighteningly accurate... But a modern day Manager/Coaches nightmare as that is all he does... score goals...

Don't think Pep will be taking him and I know Klopp likes you to put a shift in too... I'm holding out for Real Madrid but news has gone quiet on him but he would be an ideal solution for a team that creates so many chances especially when you compare him to say Benzema who would score one in five or six!!!

• @dannypea said in Buzz point allocation:

I would like to quickly add to the initial poster..... It doesn't matter....

I doubt James Maddison will 'ever' win a media buzz on here (under the present format) so if you can get used to the words... RONALDO, MESSI, NEYMAR, POGBA and sometimes KANE, SALAH, BALE you don't really need to worry about much else??

Agree it makes no difference really, just wanted to get a better understanding of how it works.

I may be biased as I'm a Norwich fan, but genuinely think Maddison has the potential to be one of the big names one day that will be winning MB's regularly. His dead balls can only be called Beckham-esque and has an incredible 'football brain'. But hey, I do see the world through yellow and green tinted glasses :)

• @NewUser117151 oh don't get me wrong from what i've seen he looks like a great player. Good attitude and i like your analogy of Beckham as i see that in his play.. Busy and snappy like Beckham too he's also better off the ball than what he gets credit for.... I just 'doubt' he's going to trouble our usual Media Buzz pretenders on here because they are a dominant force in a league of their own when it comes to snapping up the dividends.

Now if you were questioning an article about Pogba or Salah it might have more substance because that would be likely to hit peoples pockets hardest... I actually don't know or care how Media Buzz works... I just know who wins it all the time!!!!

• @Chicken-Badge said in Buzz point allocation:

https://youtu.be/uw3GbsY_Pbc

You need to watch this YouTube video above which explains the AFIN111 FI Towers scoring system

I personally feel it’s a load of боll0х$ however it’s been decreed by the powers that be to be the preferred method of scoring MB for the platform that is football index :-D

So just watched that YouTube video and understand how it works. Is there a list of raw data that shows what values have been given to each word?

It's common knowledge that Man Utd players have the highest MB return overall. Could it simply be because 'Manchester' and/or 'United' have been given a higher value than say 'Liverpool'?

So player A gets linked to Utd - 100pts
    Player B gets linked to Liverpool - 60pts
    Etc etc

• @NewUser117151

I thought in the video when it scrolls it shows some word values however

https://github.com/uwescience/datasci_course_materials/blob/master/assignment1/AFINN-111.txt

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.