Feeling Frustrated

• Feeling really frustrated at the moment as it doesn’t seem to matter what I do, there’s always something that turns against me. I don’t feel like I’m making any major mistakes and I’m genuinely trying to react in the same fashion as others but I feel totally jinxed at the minute and just not having any luck whatsoever. Also being restricted on the amounts of money I can put in at any one time, also limits my ability to react.

The following is a bit long winded but I’m just trying to get my current predicament across......

It’s been a mixture of having to react and change some of my port in line with enforced changes (Covid, introduction of ME and now the 9th July dividend increase) or a case of having bought into players regarded as being good purchases for PB/MB or growth (transfer to big side, etc) only for those players form to fall through the floor or for them to fall out of favour on FI or in the real world.

This has been compounded by the difficulty in trying to move money around in my port to react to the above situations. In most cases Market Sell is effectively pointless as the players have slipped out of favour and/or aren’t in form. Then in terms of Instant Sell I’m either faced with with big spreads which I won’t sell at or having to take managed losses if the IS spreads aren’t too bad. For example selling someone on instant sell but buying into someone via the ME (German and French players in the main) at such a reduced price that I’ll make my lost profit back at some point and can use that to then buy the shares in the players I want (almost like using ME as a halfway house to turn current loses into future profit to trade with).

Just some of my many frustrating examples:-
    Gnabry was flying before Covid so I heavily topped up on him; only for football to return and his form to absolutely tank.
    I also gradually moved money or put new money in to build shares up in Rashford; only for him to do pretty much nothing since the return and now being out of favour on FI and in the shadows of Greenwood. These are just two of many examples I could give in my port for players who just a few weeks or months ago would’ve been regarded as excellent holds or investments but this seems to have changed.

So with all of that and now trying to shift some of the money in my port about (not easy, as mentioned above) to build shares in the main risers that will come off the back of the dividend increase; it’s all becoming so frustrating and like I’m trying to swim in custard!!
    Maybe I’m over reacting as I still know my players are or should be good long term holds but they’re not much good at present and seems like the money in them (even just temporarily) could be used for the huge profit opportunities that are about at present.

I am in the main a medium-long term trader but I just feel like I’m being left behind and missing out on so much. Everyones saying their ports are flying and everyones saying there players will fly after 9th July but I just see it being yet another thing I’ll miss out on, not for the want of trying.

My port was 14% up after a few weeks of joining (Feb 2020) but is now sitting at just 5.5%, which without the deposit bonus would be much lower. A small amount of this has been because of managed instant sells but I’ve not used that option too much. I just need some luck or for FI to fully implement their changes to make moulding your port and shifting money about a bit more easier.

If you want more information behind the above then read on as this is my current port and my current views or plans for the player:-

Main Players:-
    Neymar - 33 Shares (want more shares in him before 9th but can’t free up port money)
    Rashford - 67 Shares (Did have 80 shares but with a mix of poor form and Greenwood being the golden boy now, I’ve been trying to shift at an acceptable loss to put into Neymar)
    Pogba - 20 Shares (someone I’ve been trying to build in prep for 9th but his appeal seems to have also been effected by Bruno and now Greenwood)
    Dybala - 75 Shares (happy with and increasing when I can)
    Gnabry - 100 Shares (poor form, out of favour and most of the money coming in on 9th will pass him by)
    Jesus - 75 Shares (same as Gnabry)
    Jota - 75 Shares (wanting to reduce temporarily to put into 9th July risers)
    Sabitzer - 100 Shares (wanting to reduce to 75 shares to put into 9th July risers)
    Medium/Long Term (increasing when I can):-
    Zaniolo - 25 Shares
    Szoboszlai - 1 Share
    Kulusevski - 35 Shares
    Thauvin - 30 Shares
    Aouchiche - 50 Shares
    Golovin - 10 Shares
    Goretzka - 23 Shares
    Savanier - 1 Share
    Halstenberg - 40 Shares
    Gonzalez - 40 Shares
    Bought cheap on ME and looking to sell at decent profit to invest more in above players:-
    Coman - 50 Shares
    Piatek - 61 Shares
    Tah - 100 Shares (May keep?!?)
    Laimer - 20 Shares
    Players trying to sell:-
    B Silva - 30 Shares (most of his PB comes when with Portugal)
    Kleindienst - 60 Shares (up in the air)
    Geis - 60 Shares (PB move looking less likely)

The port I’m trying to shape for the future, with the three top PB leagues in mind and to give me good positional coverage (some names may change) is:-
    The 25:-
    PB/MB (7)
    Gnabry (PB) - Ger
    Bruno (PB/MB) - Eng
    Rashford (PB/MB) - Eng or Greenwood ???
    Neymar (PB/MB) - Fra
    Trent (PB) - Eng
    Pogba (PB/MB) - Eng
    Dybala (PB) - Ita

Cap App and PB (15)
    Jesus - Eng
    Goretzka - Ger
    Pulisic??? - Eng
    Jota - Eng
    Aouchiche - Fra
    Thauvin - Fra
    Ligue 1 defender (Marquinhos PSG??)
    Savanier - Fra
    Golovin - Fra
    Sabitzer - Ger
    Zaniola - Ita
    Kulusevski - Ita
    Gonzalez - Ger
    Tah - Ger ?????
    Szoboszlai - Aus

Trends (3): Short Term Trading Profits
    ???
    ???
    ???

Yeah, so that’s it basically.
    Frustrated as hell!!!

• I’ve also been on the platform 5 months and despite having a 3.5k port I’ve only had just over £20 in dividends.

Am I really just being majorly unlucky at present?

• @Erased-Citizen I hear you mate but everyone is struggling to sell right now as it is a buyers market. I dont thinm anyone youve bought is a bad buy. Id be careful of getting into a cycle of selling players on a downer as youll sell at big losses and could end up using that money to buy someone else who's form turns bad.

The likes of gnabry and rashford will have their day again ita just whether you can be patient enough to wait for that. I understand feeling a little panic to get the portfolio perfect for the 9th with an anticipated increase in the top players but that will filter down.

• @Erased-Citizen your port is absolutely fine mate, just bide your time. Its easy to fall into a trap and follow the latest trend but at the same time you could easily be the last one buying and get stung for a bit. Your players will have their day. FI is booming in parts but money will at some point come to your players, it always does. You could sell Rashford tomorrow and he could go bang a hattrick next week or something happens which causes a rise, ive seen it so many times before. Try putting your players in the queue if you're really thay desperate but personally id advise patience. Ive market sold players i was generally surprised by, Willy Boly is one example.

• @Erased-Citizen I kind of scanned through that, not gonna lie. Ive had a bevy so I'm gonna be brief but I wanna say a few things to ya.

1, I know you've had a tough time lately away from FI so please please try not to stress and just take a step back.

2, I think your players will come good. Gnab decided to score in the non PB eligible cup final frustratingly. But just zoom out and I think you'll come good

3, I know from talking to u previously that u work in a fairly lucrative industry so 3.5k probably isnt enormous to u so try to keep some perspective

4, I've been there, my god have I

• @Shippers @Stevo I do still have confidence in my picks long term. I’m just not as confident in some as I was (I.e. Rashford was the golden boy but I think he’s gonna get forgotten about in the shadow of Greenwood).

I also can’t help but think my port won’t see much rise off the back of the 9th while those with more shares in Neymar, Bruno, Trent, etc will absolutely rocket.

I’m trying to be patient and keep my long term head on my shoulders but I just feel like the last 2 or 3 opportunities where people have made big money and profit, have all passed me by. I can see the 9th being the same 🙁

• Your port is fine. Let the current ship sail, more will be along later in the year and you'll be on them. But only if you stop tinkering and selling at the merest hint of trouble. If you constantly chase the trend you'll never make any money.

• Can I ask why you have so many players? I know from personal experience it's easy to pick up and get stuck with players but that seems like a pretty big port.

Other than that 85% of your port are pretty great long term investments! With a bit of patience I reckon they'll quickly come good. The market seems to have entirely shifted to big rises on players that are flavours of the moment and a lot of your players fit that bill for when their leagues return.

• @Erased-Citizen who knows really mate. I mean I'm shocked that Pogba is on the decrease list. He may be in the shadow of Bruno now but imagine if they increase divs by 50%. If you ask me I think Rashford and Gnabry are both players that will be double there current price in 2 years. You ciuld be right that you might make money quicker elsewhere but I think they are great long term holds.

• @Erased-Citizen Don't you do one of these posts every month?

Seems to me that you are still trying to decide what type of trader/investor you are and getting caught chasing the next star.

To focus on just on 2 examples,

I hold Sabitzer, bought him at an average of £2.35, got 420 shares, been tempted to top up cheaply to get 500 shares. Could have sold when he peaked at £2.78 but held on for the CL games and convinced he will get a transfer this summer, hoping to the EPL. Why did you get him?

Rashford, at the best team for FI, back after long injury, playing but being temporarily upstaged. Has everything going for him, UTD still going for top 4, FA Cup and EL so lots of games for him to hit his straps. Probably one of the safest holds and now a media magnet with his recent actions. I don't hold but why do you?

Don't need to answer the questions to us, more likely to yourself. Play the long game, don't get taken in by what others are saying and feel like your missing out. And I just read an interesting piece of advice on twitter - unless you are planning to trade don't log onto FI, think you will sleep better that way.

• @Erased-Citizen not at all mate there will be plenty of opportunities. I would expect these players to rise but Rashford's yield is still impressive and he will hit form again. He is what 22 now, hes still a youngster and will continue to have his day. During a normal season, your players will earn you dividends too. I made minimal dividends when I first joined, slowly understand the platform and started to see where dividends could be earned. Even now though i still make mistakes or make a wrong time trade, somethings are out of our control sometimes but patience is key and you'll be fine with your port.

• I think your port looks fine, I've got almost all of those players in my port... Not saying that means much, but I have purchased them for a reason, and I expect to see growth in them all over the next year...

Looking at the list, you are right, some are on bad form etc.. Also people are focusing on a narrow section of the market right now. There will be a light show on the 9th and you may miss out on some, and some in your port (and mine) will drop as money goes elsewhere. But I have been through probably ten light shows in my time, and not been on any premiums in most - it is frustrating but I still have made plenty of money in the aftermath as the money starts trickling down...

The holds you have in the most part look solid (if you can maybe sell some Jesus on a spike and get some Marquinios you'll probably stand more chance of some divs). I really wouldn't worry about what goes on in the next couple of weeks, as your holds will see the benefit down the line as will mine...

• You have to remember that its all cyclical, and the worst thing you can do is follow a trend once its become well established
    in this case it appears that you missed this trend, but the same set of players wont continue to rise indefinitely and at some point in the next couple of months, the cash that has been pumped into these players will be moved on as traders inevitably take profits - 95% will stay in the platform which means it will move on to other players of value that have previously been neglected..

In every boom period that has occured since i have been here the same has happened, the top tier players get the initial inflation they then stagnate and the ££ trickles down the to rest of the market.

If i were in your shoes i would do nothing unless some of your sales come through, if they did i would look to put low ball bids in on a number of decent £1-£3 players in the matching engine as you can almost guarantee that when people start ISing out of FOMO on weds thurs night your bids will be matched

• I think what I’m taking from all the replies is that I have to completely ignore what’s going on and those who are making huge short terms profits. They have the money and manoeuvrability to do that and I don’t.

I need to trust in my picks and why I bought them (which I do) and just have a tunnel vision going forward, knowing my players will have their time in the limelight and will bring profit.

• I wouldn’t worry too much - like others have said, every player has their big growth spikes throughout the season to bring them in line with the market. FI is only really about 5-10 players right now as that is where the new money is going.

Remember, now more than ever, users are now seriously considering selling opportunities before buying. Hence why the top youth/hype players are rising so much, they are perceived to get exponentially better therefore offer ample sale opportunities.

I was feeling very similar until this week happened and my port shot up by 8%. I’d say be patient, but you don’t really have much choice now that IS has been replaced. Your players seem like sensible buys, people will soon be preparing their ports for 20/21.

• @PMurph said in Feeling Frustrated:

Can I ask why you have so many players? I know from personal experience it's easy to pick up and get stuck with players but that seems like a pretty big port.

Other than that 85% of your port are pretty great long term investments! With a bit of patience I reckon they'll quickly come good. The market seems to have entirely shifted to big rises on players that are flavours of the moment and a lot of your players fit that bill for when their leagues return.

I have more players than I’d like at present because I can’t sell some with selling basically impossible until the full ME comes in.

I was planning on having a 15 player port once everything is settled but I’ve upped that to 25 to get involved in more of the big PB/MB holds and to spread the risk as the changes made and being made to the platform has put an increased risk on the traders now.

• @Harford-is-God said in Feeling Frustrated:

@Erased-Citizen Don't you do one of these posts every month?

Seems to me that you are still trying to decide what type of trader/investor you are and getting caught chasing the next star.

To focus on just on 2 examples,

I hold Sabitzer, bought him at an average of £2.35, got 420 shares, been tempted to top up cheaply to get 500 shares. Could have sold when he peaked at £2.78 but held on for the CL games and convinced he will get a transfer this summer, hoping to the EPL. Why did you get him?

Rashford, at the best team for FI, back after long injury, playing but being temporarily upstaged. Has everything going for him, UTD still going for top 4, FA Cup and EL so lots of games for him to hit his straps. Probably one of the safest holds and now a media magnet with his recent actions. I don't hold but why do you?

Don't need to answer the questions to us, more likely to yourself. Play the long game, don't get taken in by what others are saying and feel like your missing out. And I just read an interesting piece of advice on twitter - unless you are planning to trade don't log onto FI, think you will sleep better that way.

I have put a couple of posts like this but I think it’s because since I joined it seems as though the port and the way it works changes month on month and you have to try react or you get left behind.

However, I also have to try and ignore the FOMO urge and keep focused on my long term goals as it does seem like loads make money out of these changes and opportunities while it all passes me by.

I guess I’m concerned that another 12 months on from now I’ll still only be sitting on a 5-6% profit. Just need a confidence boost but all I seem to get at the minute is my players either underperforming, dropping out of favour on here and in the real world or just missing out on dividends.

• @Erased-Citizen said in Feeling Frustrated:

I think what I’m taking from all the replies is that I have to completely ignore what’s going on and those who are making huge short terms profits. They have the money and manoeuvrability to do that and I don’t.

I need to trust in my picks and why I bought them (which I do) and just have a tunnel vision going forward, knowing my players will have their time in the limelight and will bring profit.

Exactly this, if you really think you've picked a dud discuss it on here prior to selling, people will always be willing to help.

• Good evening. I'll try and put my take on a few of your concerns:

@Erased-Citizen said in Feeling Frustrated:

Gnabry was flying before Covid so I heavily topped up on him; only for football to return and his form to absolutely tank.

I value Gnabry and I started buying him close to £5. As he dropped I topped up more and more as I believe he will rise again in the mid term. If I hadn't got drunk and hit the 30 day time out I would certainly be getting more of him....

Main Players:-

I think this is where you are becoming frustrated which in turn makes you impatient.

Rashford - 67 Shares (Did have 80 shares but with a mix of poor form and Greenwood being the golden boy now, I’ve been trying to shift at an acceptable loss to put into Neymar)

I'm saying this out of love and hope it doesn't offend you but it feels to me you are constantly chasing the new trend and suffer from FOMO.

You started around the same time as me and have a very similar value in port size (3600.00 for me). We joined the index at a difficult time with probably just over a month of football played in full stadiums before lock down. Perhaps you are hoping for too much too quickly and over trading?

You have some good players in your port who should get higher in value over time.

Hope all goes well for you in future

• @Erased-Citizen firstly, I really like the players you have and want to get. Good picks. Gnabry will bounce back and Rashers needs time to get match fit after long injury. So you will always have out of form players in yout port. Unless it’s terminal, don’t sell at a loss.
    Also it seems you are making the classic error of jumping on trends as they are happening. And selling perfectly good players to fund it. This is bad trading. If you can, and it takes a bit of thought, you need to do what the top traders do and sniff out the next trend...where’s the value? What’s gonna happen next. Even before the divided review, ppl were starting to hoover up PB players because we now have a year and half of non stop football. You don’t want hype players sitting on benches, you want quality PB performers who will earn you divs. You need look ahead a think what will ppl do next and adjust you port accordingly before every man and his beast does that. Easier said than done, but if the masses are doing it- your already too late.