Realistic Bidding?

• Still getting used to the ME. What is a realistic way of bidding and getting players on the cheap? For example, just put 5 bids on Cuardado at 0.62p. His 'sell' price is 0.64p. because I've bid lower does this decrease the chance of it being matched?

• The average price would have to drop so youd have to hope that either

1. the top bid is really close to MV and gets taken up meaning the instant sell price lowers enough for yours to be the highest
      Or
    2. enough people instant sell causes your bid to be included in the next bid

I normally got 1 or 2p above the instant sell price

• @FINorth Would you say bidding 1 or 2p above the IS price is a good general rule of thumb then?

• Best tactic for ME is use it when people have reason to sell (so the spreads are bigger).. If you are bidding pre or during a game you are likely going to be bidding against a lot more people, so you will need to bid closer to the market buy price.

Outside of matchdays or post match are the best times to buy on ME, more people will be looking to sell and the spreads will be wider

• @LewisHoward if you are in no rush to buy a player because either you see no immediate rush on him from other traders or are just happy to wait then bid low, the lower go the lower your chances of it being matched so do this on players where the rest of the market is looking the other way.

The opposite goes for bidding high do this when you want the player quicker but not immediately. I tend to offer higher bids on new players im adding to my portfolio if i feel they have dividend opportunities looming and i bid really low when topping up existing holds

• @Baydog Interestingly, the converse factor can also come into play i.e. when games are happening and people want to get on a rise - I picked up Pogbas for £6.40 during the Man U-Bournemouth game, presumably because people were cashing out to get on Greenwood. Saw someone on Twitter who had snaffled up dozens of Pogbas for £6 - his market buy price was over £7.50 at the time!!!

• Not sure how wise this is, but a few times I've bought 1 share at the Buy price and then click on Sell to see what best bid offers come up for t.
    It can mean overpaying a few pence for that first share but I think it gives me a more realistic chance of getting the rest at bid prices, and I can see what the market is offering.

• @FootballArgos said in Realistic Bidding?:

@Baydog Interestingly, the converse factor can also come into play i.e. when games are happening and people want to get on a rise - I picked up Pogbas for £6.40 during the Man U-Bournemouth game, presumably because people were cashing out to get on Greenwood. Saw someone on Twitter who had snaffled up dozens of Pogbas for £6 - his market buy price was over £7.50 at the time!!!

There is definitely opportunities to pick up cheap shares in play as you've done with that outrageous Pogba buy! The only danger with this, is if you are bidding quite high on a player going into a game (and don't stay on top of it), if they do nothing and there is a sell off, you end up with a high buy price.. 20 mins later you can probably get them 10-20% cheaper (on the assumption that they do not perform and people sell off - if they do well then we end up kicking ourselves for not market buying!)... Low offers however are not a problem, they either get accepted or don't, hard to lose out either way!

• I've been looking at the sell price and bidding 1 or 2p higher. I just leave it and come back and I've got them and already in profit by several pence (e.g. Bellingham was 30p up).

Having said that... I put a player up for sale at full price a few days ago and he hasn't sold yet... Normally, they would always sell.

I fear that the buy price is no longer their correct value, but it's more like the sell price + 2% for when the commission kicks in.

• @Munchie63 same. It's my canary in the tunnel.

• @Benzemabob yep that’s how I’ve been doing it from day one. Also if you already hold 300 you can check the depth of bids this stopped me paying 20p for a player when the top IS bid was for a single share

• @Mere.Mortal said in Realistic Bidding?:

I've been looking at the sell price and bidding 1 or 2p higher. I just leave it and come back and I've got them and already in profit by several pence (e.g. Bellingham was 30p up).

Having said that... I put a player up for sale at full price a few days ago and he hasn't sold yet... Normally, they would always sell.

I fear that the buy price is no longer their correct value, but it's more like the sell price + 2% for when the commission kicks in.

Yeah that is the situation at the moment.. It is difficult selling players to the market, as everyone can buy them for cheaper on the ME...

When sell orders come in, rather than click market sell, you'll be able to set a price to offer them to any potential; buyers. So, there will be one set of buyers who are putting in offers for sellers to take up, and there will be sellers offering the same player for buyers to take up...

At the moment there is only one option so it is a buyers market. Once sell orders come in, a seller can set their own sell price. The buyer may well end up taking that price if it is an attractive discount - or the buyer may decide to test the seller by putting in an offer that is close to the sell offer price (in the hope that the seller will instead choose to take their offer instead of what they have set as their sell offer...)

All of this should create more balance in the market than we are currently seeing.. It should also lead to tighter spreads than we are seeing, and this in turn should lead to market buying, and this in-turn should lead to the ability to continue to market sell..

I hope that makes some kind of sense!

• @Baydog that makes perfect sense thank you! But what about there here and now?? I don’t want to wait until late August to actually sell my shares? Someone on another post said tome that I can decide what price I sell my shares at now? What did he mean?

• @Baydog

Nicely explained.
    Recommend any newbies to read the above.
    Must be weird for new traders to understand what is going on right now re buying and selling processes.

• Well it depends on how badly you want the player, If you really want them then best to atleast match the sell price or be as close as you can.

If your not to bothered, dont be scared to chance your arm with a really cheap bid, you never know how bad some people might want the money, and becuase of the way the sell que works, if you get lucky you might get your shares when someone sells loads of shares and dosnt check the sell price and share amount.