First time Poster and First time Investor

• Hi all,

Over the last couple of years I have scanned through this forum, however I was never sure of the XIRR % return I could get from this.

I am currently investing via peer to peer lending, however the market is not as stable it once was and the returns don't seem to be matching the risks anymore. So I am withdrawing.

I regret not joining FI when I first thought about it, seeing the type of returns that people have posted across this forum.

I am waiting on some funds to clear into my account tomorrow, and looking to make my first investments in FI tomorrow.

Is there any advice people can give me to help how to spread the funds, around the £2/3k?

I have read a lot of people made the error of over trading in their first few months, so it seems that buy to hold is a better strategy.

I see some people are buying big PB winners to gain consistent dividends and the upcoming divs increase?

I see others are buying cheaper priced players to sell for CA later on, using the ME and placing Bids waiting for them to be snapped up.

I have gained all of the above from spending quite some time reading the forum the last few days. However a lot of things does not make sense to me yet. Appreciate any advice or guidance, how I can spend my first few K tomorrow?

Thanks!

• @NewUser95199 be careful trading tomorrow. May be best to either get in early (morning) or wait it out. Announcements can be difficult times to trade. Although this is likely more predictable than others, so there shouldn't be any huge shocks.

Sorry to self promote but I wrote an article on identifying players to buy which may be useful. Keen to hear any thoughts and feedback.

https://www.indexnotes.co.uk/post/identifying-players-to-buy-on-football-index

• @Metropolis thanks for the advice. I have seen there is this divs increase announcement tomorrow. Is there a specific team this announcement is made, how is the announcement communicated?

Unfortunately, I need to wait for my funds to clear the bank account before I can invest. What sort of shocks do you normally see? What is there to be careful about?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to avoid having a big loss in my early days!

Just saw your article you added - I will take a look and let you know. Thanks!

• @NewUser95199

5pm tomorrow mate

• @ScouseSte ok that is good. I expect to have the funds in my account before midday...so it is best to make my trades before 5pm?

• @NewUser95199 said in First time Poster and First time Investor:

@ScouseSte ok that is good. I expect to have the funds in my account before midday...so it is best to make my trades before 5pm?

Well prices have been surging all week on those most likely to benefit from dividend increases, but there is always an extra boost after the announcement as mania kicks in. So I'd say maybe invest 75% of your funds as soon as poss and keep 25% back for any surprises announced that might have been unaccounted for

• @ScouseSte do you have any adivice for someone looking to invest tomorrow for the first time with the chances, what type of players to buy or even who to buy?

Target the top PB premiums?
    The lower priced talent for CA gains?
    Purchase outright or put in bids? (is the Sell amount the highest current bid?)

• I think come 17:30 tomorrow the market will be absolutely flying, flashing lights and rockets everywhere (hopefully anyway) at times of such high demand prices can rise super quick and hesitation and indecision can end up costing you money (player x was £3.00 5 mins later player x is 3.50) honestly on popular players it will go that quickly.

So my advise is to plan everything out now, maybe list the players that you are thinking about getting and letting the forum advise you today. That way you can sort the wheat from the chaff in advance, and you will know what you want to do when your money clears.

Trade like a Ninja in and out no faffing.

• Surprised there hasn’t been more chat about the demise of P2P lending on here as there is potentially a big market of people looking for somewhere new to put their money. I pulled all my money out of RateSetter and Funding Circle in 2019, as I was getting disillusioned with constantly changing business models and deteriorating rates of interest. Ploughed it all into FI!

Since COVID hit, Funding Circle have suspended their market (so you can’t sell any of your loan parts at all) and RateSetter have reduced their interest rates by 50%.

Compare that to FI, which, despite a few hiccups, has seen its market cap grow substantially and is about to announce a dividend increase!

• @NewUser95199 said in First time Poster and First time Investor:

@Metropolis thanks for the advice. I have seen there is this divs increase announcement tomorrow. Is there a specific team this announcement is made, how is the announcement communicated?

Unfortunately, I need to wait for my funds to clear the bank account before I can invest. What sort of shocks do you normally see? What is there to be careful about?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to avoid having a big loss in my early days!

Just saw your article you added - I will take a look and let you know. Thanks!

The announcement is via an app notification (make sure you have them turned on) and twitter with a link to the details.

The only thing to be aware of is how they increase dividends. For example, there may be more weighting towards in play dividends or media, or performance. This could mean money coming out of some players and into others. Not a problem, just something to be aware of how things can move around an announcement.

For your first day, I'd be tempted to just dip your toe with a small amount and observe the market. See who rises and falls and try to figure out why. They'll be a lot of talk on here as well which would help.

Id definitely be careful with FOMO tomorrow or panic selling. Nothing wrong with waiting until Friday, the weekend or even next week. They'll always be opportunities so take your time!

Plenty of good people here on the forum to help as well.

Good luck. Good to see a new trader asking for advice before starting. Wise move.

• @Chris-C hesitation is deffo the place where I am at, because I don't want to make the novice error in buying the wrong stock and seeing the portfolio value tank!

As a result I am trying to gain as much advice as I can today so that I am ready to purchase tomorrow.

Do you have any advice on players to buy?

• @Coleyscrooge yes I have luckily managed to get out of FC when they changed their model to a black box. I went across to FS, and that has been a nightmare and I have a lot tied up there in defaults. Currently I am in ABL, which seems to be performing ok for now, but the returns people are talking about on here doesn't compare to p2p!

• If tomorrow is your first day trading @NewUser95199 then I'd suggest you sit back and watch, and don't get involved at 17:30 when trading reopens, unless you are absolutely certain in your decisions.

At 17:30, it'll reopen and the website may well crash. You might struggle to see if your buys have actually gone through, what your balance is and generally have not much idea of what's going on. I have no doubt that many prices will end the day above what they started the day, but it'll be frantic and not necessarily the best way to start.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and welcome to the forum. Also, when you get a moment, do change your username to something else so we know who we're talking to 👍

• @Metropolis I will download the app today, I don't actually use Twitter. Worth getting for FI?

From what I have read on the forum, is it the performance dividends expecting a 50-60% increase?

Yea I am suprised how active this forum is, it is nearly impossible to keep on top of all of the posts! Any advice who would be a good starting point?

I have read enough times now not to panic sell, so this is one thing I won't be doing for sure. However at this stage I am trying to figure out whether it is better to invest for CA or Divs type players. Which is more profitable.

• @Yellow if I do get involved tomorrow, I am looking to do my business before the announcement, hence trying to get as much information as I can today

Sounds like deadline day on the Fantasy League site at the start of the new season haha

Thanks for the advice...changed my user name :)

• @Number5 It's great you have made the decision to invest in FI. As we live in an uncertain world, it's best to have a diverse port which covers MB/PB/CA and promising youth. The prices of some players will be more expensive from 17:31 tomorrow, so try to get bargains via the ME today and before 17:00 tomorrow.

• @Londoner thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get my purchases done before 5pm tomorrow.

Is there anywhere I can take a look to give some guidance who are the MB/PB/CA and promising youth players to target?

• There are certain buys that you can bank on rising tomorrow, but you cannot bank on them sustaining those rises. We don't know how the divs will be structured, and will have half an hour to react (I am working until 6pm tomorrow so I'll just take in the light show with a beer.)

We then have a media review coming some time before the start of the new season - so whilst you watch the big guns rise tomorrow, there would be way more opportunities for CA further down the market, and even more new opportunities dependent on what the media review throws up...

You could probably make some easy money tomorrow on the rises, but I wouldn't be so bullish as the other lads about buying in tomorrow before the announcement.. There are still a fair few factors in play on the decision making front, and if you are new to the game then it may be better to just use the next week as a bit of a learning experience...

Once we know the new dividend structure, there will be stacks of chat on here about who is now a better investment than they were before, and all prices across the board could be subject to change (people taking profit to put lower down the market etc)... I am confident that the premiums will continue to flourish, but may be better to have as much info to hand before jumping in with your picks...

All the best which ever you choose to do!

• @Baydog cheers for all the advice...your posts are one I have read quite a bit, I noticed you are putting a lot of bids across the market and picking up players at the cheap. I assume for CA later down the line?

I am a little stuck in the middle, do I invest early tomorrow and catch the rises after the announcement or should I wait it out and let the dust settle a bit from the news and the money has shifted about the market while people are re-aligning their portofolios to react to the announcement.

One player I have read quite a bit about that seems to be still good value and will benefit from this announcement is Joshua Kimmich.

Tempted to go all in on him to catch the rise and then re-asses after the announcement whether to keep or sell.

• @Number5 said in First time Poster and First time Investor:

@Londoner thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get my purchases done before 5pm tomorrow.

Is there anywhere I can take a look to give some guidance who are the MB/PB/CA and promising youth players to target?

My signature is my entire diverse port, so that's a good place to start, ha ha. There are some good threads with great advice here also:
    https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/17839/2020-2021-portfolio

https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/17820/top-40-pb-players-who-won-at-least-17p-per-share-this-season