how many players would you lose money on

• Aside from my goalkeepers who are all significantly in the green, I'm probably down on almost all of my outfield players if I used IS.

However, I will be keeping these players for at least another 12 months, as they are all good long term holds.

Capital appreciation is definitely harder to come by since the changes to the platform, but there are now more dividends and bigger dividends to win.

From my modest £6.5k portfolio, I'm forecasting that I'll win a minimum of £1.2k in dividends over the next 12 months, which is an 18.5% yield for sitting back and doing very little.

Plus by next Summer, once the excitement of the Euros has kicked in, I suspect that the market will be more buoyant and spreads tighter. Lets say my portfolio is worth a conservative 12% more by the Euros than now, that's still 30% growth (including dividends) per annum.

Not bad in what is / will be a global recession.

... and I'm by no means the best trader around. Those who are more aggressive in their trading style and more tolerant to risk, could probably make a far bigger return than that.

• All of you ecstatic at suddenly cheap ME buy prices are no less than f'ng stupid.
    Pre covid winnings of 'traders' have been brazenly stolen as these slimy thieves have used the global pandemic to turn our modest 'played by the rules' gains into overnight hefty losses. They EVEN have the gall to tell us these pisstakingly low new sell price spreads are for OUR protection somehow...
    Why on Earth would anyone trust these shysters SERIOUSLY...?

• @Collymore10 I'd guess it was the strategy I'd adopted concerning the rules stated at the time.

• @Collymore10 I'd guess it was the strategy I'd adopted following the rules stated at the time.

• Anyone ecstatic at suddenly cheap buy prices is no less than fucking stupid. Profits of winners invested up to now not only not honoured but brazenly turned into losses!? Why on Earth would anyone trust these shysters SERIOUSLY...?

• Echo chamber 😴😴😴

• I put the following post in the 'Deposit' thread as the conversation was also talking about instant selling but I'll post it here also as this is the main thread for the subject matter.....

It's a really depressing state of affairs at present. Literally 95% of my port would sell at a loss if I instant sold and if I IS'd my whole port (something I debated a week or so ago) it would come at a hit of over 20%.

Just four months ago my port was up by 14%. Today my 4.5k port is up by just £25 and that's with 14 goalkeepers who have all (except two) made paper profit for me!!! I'm a medium to long term trader and I knew with all the changes to the platform and the effects of Covid that all ports would take some level of a hit and I was accepting of that. However, this has gone way beyond what I expected and still doesn't appear to have bottomed out.

I even logged in yesterday, having taken a little break from logging in regularly and re-invested the £12 I'd won in dividends, only for that £12 re-investment to disappear via other loses within an hour!

I just don't see how people are making profits at present unless they're throwing extra money in and using ME but even then it's just paper profit with the lack of any sell side to the platform.

This is just a genuine statement about the real facts of my port and isn't me being negative as I've also noticed of late you get called out if you say anything negative about FI at present. The forum has really sunk to new lows of late.

Genuinely concerned about the future of the forum and FI itself.

I'm hanging on at present to see what happens when full levels of normality return with all leagues up and running alongside each other by October. However, there's a significant amount of damage that needs repairing and the only hope of this happening is if we somehow see a reinvigorated market/liquidity but also a fully functioning platform.

• This is boring. Yes, spreads are wide on a lot of players, paper profit is decreasing due to people (sensibly) market listing large swathes of their portfolio in case they sell so as to either reinvest now via ME or hold out for order books.

At the same time, there's an excellent promotion running for the next two months, loads of gold days coming up and a fully functioning OB system on the way in the coming weeks.

If you suddenly need your money immediately I accept it's not great. But FI has never been that sort of place - it's more like a 90+ notice account where you take your money out over a period of time.

I feel much more reassured following the current promotion. FI will do what it takes to support the market - it's just an odd transitional phase at present.

• Thanks @Hint. This summarises my feelings spot on.

• @Erased-Citizen There does seem to be a perpetual state of panic to your posts.

We get the same jist of your experiences on here listed everytime (i had loads of paper profit, now i might not!) before you get talked round and agree to ride this transitional period out.

Maybe it will all go tits up, maybe it wont. I don't really see what these posts are asking for? Constant need for reassurance? Let alone positing it twice in two threads!

• @NewUser609530 said in how many players would you lose money on:

@Erased-Citizen There does seem to be a perpetual state of panic to your posts.

We get the same jist of your experiences on here listed everytime (i had loads of paper profit, now i might not!) before you get talked round and agree to ride this transitional period out.

Maybe it will all go tits up, maybe it wont. I don't really see what these posts are asking for? Constant need for reassurance? Let alone positing it twice in two threads!

Just adding my view to a discussion about IS and player value. Nothing more, nothing less. Concern is different to panic; panic would've seen me IS my whole port weeks ago. At present my feelings are 'concern' but also 'hope'.

• @Erased-Citizen

I do think you should step away from the platform for a while. Your posts are always sympathetically charged, in that I see a lot of anxiety and tension behind them. You would be far better off stepping back for three months than ISing your whole port. We make bad decisions when we are pent up with fight-or-flight fears, so try to be more detached and play the long game. Seriously, it will do you the world of good.

• @PrideofPools said in how many players would you lose money on:

@Erased-Citizen

I do think you should step away from the platform for a while. Your posts are always sympathetically charged, in that I see a lot of anxiety and tension behind them. You would be far better off stepping back for three months than ISing your whole port. We make bad decisions when we are pent up with fight-or-flight fears, so try to be more detached and play the long game. Seriously, it will do you the world of good.

If it wasn't for the volatility and transition period of the platform at present, then I would 100% step back and just wait it out as I don't have any plans at present to IS by whole port. Unfortunately though, if you do that you'd get penalised even more as you can't then react to these things. Just one example of this is if I hadn't of tried moving money about to get on some GK's I would be well in the red by now, instead of just about keeping my head above water. If I'd been logged out and taking a break I would've missed that opportunity to stem the loss with some gains.

• @Erased-Citizen

Then perhaps limit yourself to once every two days, or thirty minutes a day. You say you need to offset the losses, but I think everyone is in the same boat. My port is right down but I am calmly and patiently re-investing my divs into players I think have great potential, and waiting for the market to stabilise and settle down. I would bet that if I didn't touch my port for the next year and a half I would be in the green, and I reckon yours would be too. Sometimes less really is more.

• @PrideofPools said in how many players would you lose money on:

@Erased-Citizen

Then perhaps limit yourself to once every two days, or thirty minutes a day. You say you need to offset the losses, but I think everyone is in the same boat. My port is right down but I am calmly and patiently re-investing my divs into players I think have great potential, and waiting for the market to stabilise and settle down. I would bet that if I didn't touch my port for the next year and a half I would be in the green, and I reckon yours would be too. Sometimes less really is more.

I've only logged in twice in the last 11 days and this is something I will continue to do, only so that I can keep my finger on the pulse if any further changes need reacting to. I am re-investing my divs to try and either reduce losses in already held players (topping up via ME) or buying into holds that could benefit short term via the promotions (I.e. Di Maria). I just don't have the confidence you do that my port will get back to 14% or higher in the future. Especially with some saying prices have been over inflated for some time and the losses are just bringing players down to the prices they should be. So maybe I joined at the wrong time when prices were over inflated, I don't know?

I genuinely hope my concern is unfounded and that I'm wrong and you're right. I really do.

• For what I can see the removal of IS has made it harder to buy and sell players to make a quick profit, especially pumping and dumping cheap players!

However for those looking to hold good players for up to 3 years and make a good dividend return then little has changed, as in 3 years these players are likely to much higher in price or have gone through a share split or 2!?

• @Erased-Citizen not telling you what to do, but I was re-investing dividends in players who were making me a loss but it just meant my port dropped even more as I had a bigger holding. I've moved away from this strategy; if they're losing money why am I trying to prop the price up?

I accept that they'll probably drop some more, but I only hold about 5% of my portfolio now so the overall impact is less. Focussing my time and money on those players who look like they'll grow.

Strong believer in negativity will cause bad decisions; try and stay positive. It was only a few weeks ago when the all top 10 were dropping daily - now that trend is reversing.

• @Highfields96 said in how many players would you lose money on:

@Erased-Citizen not telling you what to do, but I was re-investing dividends in players who were making me a loss but it just meant my port dropped even more as I had a bigger holding. I've moved away from this strategy; if they're losing money why am I trying to prop the price up?

I accept that they'll probably drop some more, but I only hold about 5% of my portfolio now so the overall impact is less. Focussing my time and money on those players who look like they'll grow.

Strong believer in negativity will cause bad decisions; try and stay positive. It was only a few weeks ago when the all top 10 were dropping daily - now that trend is reversing.

I haven't done it much and when I have it's been on players who 'should' rise and who's new seasons are close to starting. Most of my divs or spare cash recently has gone into GK's or those likely to reap great reward from the IPD promotion (i.e. Di Maria). I'm not seeing anything reversing yet, not even in my Neymar shares but hopefully any money coming into the platform will trickle down. I just don't think many are putting extra cash in at present, just moving money around or listing/delisting.

• @NewUser190242 said in how many players would you lose money on:

All of you ecstatic at suddenly cheap ME buy prices are no less than f'ng stupid.
    Pre covid winnings of 'traders' have been brazenly stolen as these slimy thieves have used the global pandemic to turn our modest 'played by the rules' gains into overnight hefty losses. They EVEN have the gall to tell us these pisstakingly low new sell price spreads are for OUR protection somehow...
    Why on Earth would anyone trust these shysters SERIOUSLY...?

A few points I want to pick you up on, in no particular order.

Why is somebody stupid for picking up a bargain on ME?

You give reference to the ME bargains and go on to reference "pisstakingly low new sell price spreads". On the one hand you acknowledge the functioning of ME, and on the other, you seem to blame FI for the prices which are now set by traders which seems like you go from understanding the ME function to not understanding it fully.

The "slimy thieves" reference appears to be directed at FI themselves for "using the global pandemic". Again, people ISing now for what you call hefty losses, are just giving bargains to other users, not selling expensive shares back to FI cheaply.

You talk about profits being turned into losses over night. If somebody uses IS, that's their choice. It can be a good decision or a bad decision. I've never shied away fro. Using IS, pre or post ME, but it should always be a calculated decision.

If you're ISing to get on somebody else out of FOMO then you need to workout your 'break even' first.

If you're selling 100 shares at a 40p spread, you're sacrificing £40 + commish just to enter this new trade, so your break even is £40+.

If you deem a spread on a given player to be unacceptable, then do not accept it. Continue to hold the player. Time your exit. Theres at least 3 players I hold that I want out of. At present I find their spread to be unacceptable. Incidentally, unacceptable though they may be, I would still exit 2 if those 3 trades at profit if I was to IS right now.

But i wont do that. I have good reasons to believe that in the next fortnight they will either market sell, or their spreads will close to a level that i will find much more acceptable.

Ok, the picture I'm painting is not one of perfect liquidity, but rather one of using your head and showing patience and being calculated. As for imperfect liquidity, were dealing with an incomplete function. You just have to give it time. It can be a little frustrating i suppose but if you're buying into the product as a whole then you just need to be prepared to wait for these teething problems to be resolved

• @Erased-Citizen I personally try to avoid following trends, but rather get in before others do. Will mean I sometimes miss the rocket, but shouldn't leave me holding an overpriced duffer either. I also like to have at least two positive reasons for every player I buy, in case one of them doesn't pan out. Taking your Di Maria example, I'm leaving him well alone, even though he might do well for IPD in the next 30 days, because after that I'll be left with a 32 year old overshadowed by Neymar and Mbappe and with no obvious exit point on the horizon.

Whereas Mbappe might be a bit cheaper now because of his injury, so I'm prepared to forgoe potential IPD to get at a better price, as he's got MB appeal from a possible future transfer and PB chances in France, as his game develops, for as long as he is at PSG (ie buy now before others follow)'. Doesn't always work, but that's my strategy.

Many ways to play the game and make money, but don't let FOMO dictate every purchase. Hope it comes good for you.