FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?

• FI have announced a new partnership with beBettor who use customer data to help monitor whether customers are spending within their means. Obviously as a result of the government's recent tougher regulation on problem gamblers.

The only way that can work is if the EDD data FI collects regarding the source of trader's income is used to assess whether a customer is financially stable or within "affordability" range. FI in the announcement says this:

"Football Index, the world’s first football stockmarket, has partnered with beBettor, the responsible gaming platform, to strengthen their safer gambling frameworks for customer affordability.

Under the partnership, Football Index will use beBettor’s geo-affordability data. The data enables operators to tailor customer interactions to the individual and protect customers from gambling-related harms associated with spending beyond their means, whilst respecting customer privacy".
    https://news.footballindex.co.uk/football-index-partners-with-bebettor/

• @Londoner if they get the data from BeBettor (kind of like a credit score) it would seem to be a hell of a lot easier that people rummaging around for bank statements & proving where every pound was won in a betting account or online shop.

They could simply look at your credit history over a period of a few years, whether you have had/held a F/T job, your income, assets (home/car) whether you had missed payments, loans or credit card bills & weight it up against your deposits into FI to see if it was deemed as responsible gambling 👍

Anything above a certain percentage could then get flagged for further investigation.

• @Londoner odd to see them saying football stockmarket again with no small print or clarification it's a betting platform... Maybe this is just inwards comms, I thought they'd been told by the bigGC to always make it clear its not a stockmarket.

• @Londoner hopefully it’s just a box ticking exercise and doesn’t result in any additional EDD interference. FI’s seems fairly stringent already but they should really be carrying it out at the point of deposit, rather than withdrawal.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be honest as it’s clear numerous customers have deposited beyond their means. This was made clear during the initial months of covid when the removal of IS seemed to impact people’s day to day finances. FI improving their consumer care should be a positive message.

• I’ve passed EDD twice in my 20 months on here, the latest just a few weeks ago.
    This is no lie, I literally had it dealt with in a matter of hours via a couple of calls and emails.
    If all your files and affairs are in order then there’s no problem.

• @Gregolocky

In theory, it’s easy.

But, in reality for many, it’s not. They lost my documents and then after I had resubmitted and passed EDD, they requested new EDD and ordinary DD in the weeks that followed.

Some of the people they employ have no clue what they’re doing and I doubt FI keep a proper record of who has passed what and when.

• @ocs123 I may have been lucky with the FI official I was dealing with at the time.
    No doubt they don’t keep track of who has or hasn’t passed EDD in recent months

• @Westy said in FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?:

@Londoner odd to see them saying football stockmarket again with no small print or clarification it's a betting platform... Maybe this is just inwards comms, I thought they'd been told by the bigGC to always make it clear its not a stockmarket.

Yeh bizarre... Probably a mistake on their behalf. They lost in court over it before when tackled by ASA!

• I wonder how they calculate affordability because if it wasnt for FI i would of had more debt than i do now. Id actually be worse of not having money in FI 😂

In a sense they may deem FI crucial to my affordability 😂

Seriously though i see this as a good thing. If this company are in control of what we currently call EDD then surely it will be a much smoother system and any disgruntled folk will no longer be able to accuse FI of wrong doing as it will be out of their hands

• @ocs123 said in FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?:

@Gregolocky

In theory, it’s easy.

But, in reality for many, it’s not. They lost my documents and then after I had resubmitted and passed EDD, they requested new EDD and ordinary DD in the weeks that followed.

Some of the people they employ have no clue what they’re doing and I doubt FI keep a proper record of who has passed what and when.

Similar here. Passed EDD eventually, only to get another request within a few weeks. Painful.

• @Westy said in FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?:

@Londoner odd to see them saying football stockmarket again with no small print or clarification it's a betting platform... Maybe this is just inwards comms, I thought they'd been told by the bigGC to always make it clear its not a stockmarket.

Yep. "Virtual stock market" would be more accurate.

• @Londoner said in FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?:

@Westy said in FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?:

Yep. "Virtual stock market" would be more accurate. Stock market is a big pull. It's what caught my attention and drew me to the platform.

• @Black-Wolf said in FI's Partnership with beBettor - More Intrusion?:

I wonder how they calculate affordability because if it wasnt for FI i would of had more debt than i do now. Id actually be worse of not having money in FI 😂

In a sense they may deem FI crucial to my affordability 😂

Seriously though i see this as a good thing. If this company are in control of what we currently call EDD then surely it will be a much smoother system and any disgruntled folk will no longer be able to accuse FI of wrong doing as it will be out of their hands

That's a good point. Maybe they will take the EDD process from CS. Let's hope so.

• @Gregolocky I'm having a nightmare with mine and being a professional gambler makes things much more complicated. I'm 5 weeks in and I have given them so much information but they keep wanting more and more. It's very intrusive and I think it's been dealt with very badly. We will see how it turns out.

• The cynic in me does feel like FI will hide behind this as an excuse to not payout on more occasions - particularly now they can claim its a third party that is effectively making the decision.

The whole system is flawed - affordability concerns should only ever be raised at the point of deposit. They can access all the data right now so anyone who is ‘of suspicion’ should be contacted immediately rather than letting them play for years and tell them they can’t withdraw when they eventually decide to leave.

If they start undertaking historical affordability checks then it will be another huge confidence blow.

• Interested how this works so just had a look at BeBettor’s website.

Here’s the link:

https://www.bebettor.com/affordability-checks/learn-more

It seems they look at your personal info, address, socio-economic situation in your area and check the insolvency register, etc.

• @TeamGB interesting, so they wont do the DD on us or anything, it sounds like they almost check the cost of our house and go from there. Not sure how their algorithms tell if a person with a £300,000 house can afford a 15k port for example (obviously including other factors).

• @Shippers It seems to me they do some more serious checking to see if there are any large risks such as Insolvency Register for IVAs, DROs, London Gazette for bankruptcies perhaps. Then they also use socio-economic info and perhaps algorithms based on all of this, age, gender and on to determine someone they deem to be a high/medium/low risk. They use data science to help work things out. Overall, as long as they can be trusted in the gambling industry then I can’t see a need to worry about this. However, if someone is suffering from severe financial difficulties and is playing on here then perhaps now’s the time to take this move by FI seriously and consider moving on.

• @TeamGB ah okay, i can't imagine many would be in the "high" category so to speak but could be wrong.

• The reality of my situation is that I can easily afford to have what I do in fi and my financial position is really good. What they are asking for is rediculous. They want gambling statements going back over 12 months which considering I'm banned from these bookmakers it's very hard to get. Also I have had over 150 gambling sites over 2 years so trawling through all of these is taking forever. I have already started selling my port incase they do kick me off.