Spreads Difference - why such a big difference between players - please educate me

• Saka - 89pence
    Joao Felix - 58pence
    Martial - 6pence

Please could someone explain to me the vast difference between the bid and sell price?
    I am expecting something to do with market trading volumes (supply and demand) but still don’t get the vast difference in the spreads & it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy as no one will buy a player with a massive spread as they cannot get out..
    Anyone?

• @Happy-Hornet said in Spreads Difference - why such a big difference between players - please educate me:

Saka - 89pence
    Joao Felix - 58pence
    Martial - 6pence

Please could someone explain to me the vast difference between the bid and sell price?
    I am expecting something to do with market trading volumes (supply and demand) but still don’t get the vast difference in the spreads & it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy as no one will buy a player with a massive spread as they cannot get out..
    Anyone?

It wasn't always this way.

Until earlier this year, spreads were typically 4-10%, and FI were the ones offering instant sell on every player. When COVID hit, the spreads widened massively as many people listed their players and FI sought to protect the market (whilst capitalising on the panic)... FI eventually removed themselves from the Instant Sell process entirely, which means, every time you sell a player now, it is directly to another trader. Therefore the spreads are simply what others are willing to bid.

The thought/hope, is that over the coming weeks when FI give traders the opportunity to set their own sell prices... we will see spreads narrow, because traders will list prices that they are willing to sell at.

• @Dan-The-Man gave you the explanation but in terms of the 3 players you mentioned;

Martial - currently in the mix for enhanced IPD'S and gold day PB dividends.
    Saka - no current involvement in European competition and just been reclassed to a mid.
    Felix - champions league but not guaranteed to start and viewed as not suited to PB matrix.

Spreads will also change based on player performance and involvement in immediate footballing events.

• @Happy-Hornet purely down to demand- whether they are in hot demand or not. The shorter the spread, the more ppl want them.

• The spreads are down to us. The traders / people buying.

If people are in good form or linked with a big transfer the spreads will be tight, if someone is dropped from the side/out of form the spreads will widen as people are less willing to pay close to the full buy price.

Sancho was a good example today, his spread was about 15p this morning until the news came out about him looking like he's not going to get his dream move to Manchester United & his spread widened to nearly a £1 before settling around 75p.

• @Dan-The-Man I think its going to be a blood bath as old users rush to pull money out.

As I know for a fact im not alone when I say the only reason I invested so heavily in the first place was because of FI offering the IS to get my cash back instanly minus a small fee.

Since that isnt the case anymore, this is all became a real gamble and people arnt as happy to have that kind of money sitting here the way we used to be where you cant get access to it.

I've spoke to people who just about have their life saving in this thing and they only reason they had all that invested in the first place was because they could IS, with no IS they arnt as keen.

• @Kanzz said in Spreads Difference - why such a big difference between players - please educate me:

@Dan-The-Man I think its going to be a blood bath as old users rush to pull money out.

As I know for a fact im not alone when I say the only reason I invested so heavily in the first place was because of FI offering the IS to get my cash back instanly minus a small fee.

Since that isnt the case anymore, this is all became a real gamble and people arnt as happy to have that kind of money sitting here the way we used to be where you cant get access to it.

I've spoke to people who just about have their life saving in this thing and they only reason they had all that invested in the first place was because they could IS, with no IS they arnt as keen.

Yeah, I'm certainly one of those guys who has soured on the product since the removal of IS.

The risk vs reward equation has changed dramatically and the inability to sell players fast for a small hit, has reduced my chances to get on profitable trades considerably, so I'm sat here watching from the sidelines as players like Willian perform fully as I predicted.

Adam Cole said categorically that the spreads would greatly reduce going forward and so I guess we'll see but I agree with you that this next change could indeed be a bloodbath. Essentially a race to the bottom.

• @Dan-The-Man The cookie really crumbled for me when I had an Idea one night, so I started thinking where I could pull money from to do X, Y, Z and was checking all my diffrent things and I had the idea "maybe I could IS on FI to free up some cash?" as I was sitting in tidy "profit" over a year worth of long term CA holds, then I remmbered that there was no more IS anymore, but I still decided to look at bids just incase.

My whole port is in the green except one player, some of them healthy profit as they are year long holds, time I counted threw and looked out all of my guys of my 21 players in profit, 9 would be a loss...... and I dont even know if I could shift all my shares.

It was at that point I realised it just wasnt viable to have as much money in here as I cant get access to it when I need it anymore, really is that simple.

The damage has been done at this point IMO and its all down to piss poor execution which has always been FI's style, I used to overlook it as I was making money hand over fist, but that aint the case now, now its all "theoretical money" as it aint real till you sell it to someone else now.

• @Dan-The-Man I really don’t see a race to the bottom happening at all as FI will be fully aware that is a possibility and will surely do all it can to avoid that by any means.

• The spreads are not ideal at the moment, on certain players. I have had 3 players in the sell queue for over a month now, all with large spreads. I would be losing money on 2 of these players even if I market sold them, however I am not in a huge rush so am happy to wait until they market sell or their spreads tighten. I am more of a long term trader and whilst I have quite a diverse portfolio I am confident in most of my holds long term. I am also someone who has made some decent money, mainly via cap ap, in the year since I have been on FI. This last few month since ME introduction has been tough, more so for those that need their money out of the platform, but if you are confident in your holds then long term I think we will be able to get back to a point where we can get out of them for a reasonable spread if we need to.... or maybe even market sell!

• @TeamGB said in Spreads Difference - why such a big difference between players - please educate me:

@Dan-The-Man I really don’t see a race to the bottom happening at all as FI will be fully aware that is a possibility and will surely do all it can to avoid that by any means.

Why?

They've got our money no matter what. Not like we can pull out as they drive prices down, whilst simultaneously meeting their goal of pushing the next share split back.

There's a lot of folk on here who will justify their actions too, saying that it's short term pain, so that long term the market is based more on dividends.