How bad are spreads really?

• I've been feeling a bit crap about my port recently, as still can't really get out of players without taking some very big blows. Yet at the same time, I see Sancho going through the 15 quid mark , people still pumping away which leaves me wondering- maybe my port is the problem and everyone else is okay?

So I've done a quick analysis on what the spreads are in different part of the markets to help those that aren't pumper dumper sorts who may be feeling shit about themselves.. It's not meant to be a doom and gloom thread, but I'm hoping that there might be a few like me out there who were feeling shit about their portfolio and maybe give them a bit of positivity that they not be doing as bad as they feared when compared to the market. And I think looking at the numbers really helps people :)

I've taken different segments of the market, calculated their average MS price, their average IS price, the average spread, and how many extra pennies you would lose on that average future if you instant sold. I have taken out all over 33 year olds as there may be various reasons why they have a particularly large spread. People are of course free to interpret it however they want, and some may do so negative, and others positively.

0ed3ba83-d837-4a51-80c6-b8fca83fea1c-image.png

Main thing to note is that the higher you go, the spreads narrow. But because those players are more expensive, you lose more money on an Instant Sell

• @Dr-Jan-Itor

The best tactic though is to check the IS of the highest bids which can fluctualte wildly from minute to minute & which are usually way less than the Sell price shown on the screen which is based on the top 300 share bids.

• @Dr-Jan-Itor very well put and nice to see a positive slant on the market.

I think its also worth mentioning that your portfolio value (as shown) can likely be reached if you are patient enough. FI have said there are market makers at play and this will only increase so (almost) every player will sell at their buy price, if you are prepared to wait.

• @Metropolis said in How bad are spreads really?:

@Dr-Jan-Itor very well put and nice to see a positive slant on the market.

I think its also worth mentioning that your portfolio value (as shown) can likely be reached if you are patient enough. FI have said there are market makers at play and this will only increase so (almost) every player will sell at their buy price, if you are prepared to wait.

I don't think that's true unless you are dealing exclusively with the most popular players on the market.

• @Dr-Jan-Itor Great post this. As mentioned quite a bit on here, its good if you are a buyer, not so if you're a seller but it's not all bad news.

I have had a couple of examples recently;
    Frenkie De Jong. Usual average sell price £1.65 - peaked the other night at £1.80 and top bid was £1.84 I think. Very tight spread at the time.
    Nicolo Zaniolo, spreads usually quite narrow (5%) but since Roma knocked out and their season finished he's gone to nearer 10%.
    David Brooks' IS was around £1.40 a couple of weeks back. Steady increase over the past week or so and I've managed to sell at £1.80 (I took a loss as paid above that).

The way I see it, there isn't much room for being a passive trader right now as you have to keep an eye on the bids if you would like to sell. I think Brooks' IS was £1.66 but a top bid of £1.80 is quite a difference. It's not enjoyable looking multiple times a day to check if the top bid is higher than the average IS but can provide some exit points if you're quick on it.

• @Advinculas-Index Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but is there any way to check the top bid when you have the shares in the sell queue? When I click on the IS price I get the message ''you don't own that player,'' I do own them, but there in the queue and I don't want to remove them just to check!! :-D

• @AT10 said in How bad are spreads really?:

@Advinculas-Index Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but is there any way to check the top bid when you have the shares in the sell queue? When I click on the IS price I get the message ''you don't own that player,'' I do own them, but there in the queue and I don't want to remove them just to check!! :-D

I dont believe so, you have to have players "live" so to speak
    ive heard it suggested that in this instance you could buy 1 but that would only show you the depth to 1

• @Advinculas-Index Thanks for the quick reply. That's a shame. I'll just have to sit tight & wait.

• @Advinculas-Index The app on my phone only allows the depth relative to my holding, on the PC you can look at 1-300 regardless of the shares you own.

• @Harford-is-God You don't even have to check on PC for depth of bids, just phone browser version. However, you can't buy a player while having shares in the sell queue so unfortunately I don't think it's possible in this example @Advinculas-Index @AT10

• @Harford-is-God yep, this is true. Not sure if its a FI glitch, so tried not to mention it on here haha!

• @AT10 or you can list all the shares you want to, bar 1 so you can check the bid depth on that 1 share and decide if you want to take them out of the queue and IS them. Of course there is the caveat that you will not know if this highest bid is for just 1 share or 100 until you take all of yours out of the sell queue.... I think.

• @FI_Gump

This is the risk
    In some cases, you will get traders putting 100 shares up for sale with one of them at 2 or 3p below the Buy price and the rest at 30/40p below in the hope that another trader sees this and buys 100 or more without realising.

• Banned

I think it is crap you cant see without removing from sell queue.

Tomorrow marks one whole month since I last sold someone on market, despite having my whole port listed and the only way I can see if I am better off taking them off the market, is to take them off the market.

• @MrWh1te no one cares anymore

• Banned

@Sav2000
    Some people clearly care, seeing as this is a thread discussing it. If you aren't interested, maybe avoid the thread?

• @MrWh1te I think the sell queue is going to disappear once sell orders come in right? Which means we probably don't have too much longer to sell any we have in the queue. Once this happens then at least we can put players up for sale at a price we are happy with.

• @MrWh1te no you miss understand I no longer care about your port! Other people’s yep and happy to chat and discuss things you my former friend can simply do one....and I now expect a comment about bullying!! Which this isn’t just pointing out you bore me 🤪

• Banned

@FI_Gump
    They haven't announced yet but I am pretty sure queues will remain.

Message edited to avoid retaliating to offensive posts and causing problems for other users.

• @MrWh1te I am targeting those who constantly post negative stuff and offer nothing else to the forum; you can report this if you like but I’m not being rude, not questioning any disability (seen or unseen), not questioning race or religion in fact I’m simply pointing out that you moaning about you port not selling no longer interest me. I think you’ll find I’m allow to have that opinion unless FI wish to tell me otherwise.