The Impact Of A New Console Generation

• Video game season is upon us, with the new releases of FIFA, Football Manager and more importantly, the new console generation... I wonder how many people will be withdrawing £500+ in the coming months.

We could easily see millions of pounds, maybe even tens of millions, wiped off the platform.

I wonder if we'll even notice.

• Banned

@Dan-The-Man
    I don't think much will be withdrawn.

• @MrWh1te

I don't know man, when the last gen launched there were around a million PlayStation/Xbox's sold in the UK in the first month and this time around I'd imagine there'll be a fair few folk picking up a new 4K TV's to go with their new 4K machines. With Christmas the month after, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a pretty big dip.

• Banned

@Dan-The-Man
    I don't think people are able to get enough money out for there to be a big dip.
    I hope it is all sorted by then and FI is doing well again.

At this point, I don't know what to expect from them

• @Dan-The-Man I would be more concerned with the holiday period on paying stamp duty until March next year. This can save new owners up to 15k. Property is where my money, plus dividends, is going for the next 10 years or so. No more deposits for me...

• @Martyn-B said in The Impact Of A New Console Generation:

@Dan-The-Man I would be more concerned with the holiday period on paying stamp duty until March next year. This can save new owners up to 15k. Property is where my money, plus dividends, is going for the next 10 years or so. No more deposits for me...

It's an interesting one. I mean, sure if you were looking to buy a house already, it's a win, but if you weren't already in the market, I'm not sure the £2500 saving makes you rush to lay out quarter of a million.

• @Dan-The-Man The stamp duty holiday plus my partner now working from home permanently have combined to accelerate our timeline.

We were thinking of moving in two years time, now we have a bid accepted on our forever home plus a bid accepted on our home. This has all happened in 3 weeks.

Think many people will be considering were they live, possibilities of working from home, upsizing, downsizing, being more rural etc. A saving of 15k is mostly a bonus and an incentive to act.

• I don't think they'll be a big dip as you can only sell if someone else is buying, so unless people are taking out cash balances or dividend payments I don't think this is going to be an issue. Prices only go down now when people list to the Market, but this doesn't actually equate to money coming out.

While I've been critical of the removal of IS it has caused a greater degree of price stability. Whilst I appreciate that's boring and limits the ability to make money off of CA it does at least provide protection against scenarios like the one you suggest.

• Banned

@Martyn-B I am in the exact same situation, although we were moving already and the stamp duty helped to make things a bit easier, meaning not in a rush to pull money out.
    But I accept I would be in the minority on that.

• Still using my PS3 and never bought into the ‘next big console thing’ Heck, I still love my old Sega mega drive! 🤣

• @Dan-The-Man said in The Impact Of A New Console Generation:

Video game season is upon us, with the new releases of FIFA, Football Manager and more importantly, the new console generation... I wonder how many people will be withdrawing £500+ in the coming months.

We could easily see millions of pounds, maybe even tens of millions, wiped off the platform.

I wonder if we'll even notice.

probably be more people wishing they could withdraw some money painlessly to treat themselves, than there will be people actually able to.

if there was massive withdrawals we wouldn't notice much… people take bids through the ME - shares in circulation remain the same, share prices stay the same. just money in the platform that is changing invisibly.

• On the other hand some people might want and tv and new console and use the index to make a few 100.