England squad for nations league

• Just seen the announced squad, some very out there choices imo but the biggest shock for me was theres no recognised left back.....does this mean mings playing there or are we more likely to see 3 centre halves and attacking wing backs with taa one side and someone else on the left. Thoughts?

• @Ddr the biggest shock for me is that Dier is still included in England squads.

• Surely Pope has to get the nod over Pickford. I thought Grealish deserved a call up too

• @Erased-Citizen yeah cant fathom that either, if you include Kelvin Phillips then hes got to start in the cdm position so you can see if he fits in and works so why include dier? Especially when you consider the disparity in their form over the last season

• @DillyDong said in England squad for nations league:

Surely Pope has to get the nod over Pickford. I thought Grealish deserved a call up too

Agree. In fact Pickford would be third choice for me.

• @Ddr Not sure Dier is there as a CDM, certainly didn't play there after the restart and maybe Southgate wants another look at him in a CB role maybe?

• @Leo-G possibly, but you've already got Maguire, mings, Keane and gomez in the squad to play centre back.....although interestingly I've just noticed that dier was included in the list of defenders not midfielders so you could be into something

• @Erased-Citizen Shouldn't be anywhere near an England squad unless they need an enforcer off the pitch.

• @Harford-is-God said in England squad for nations league:

@Erased-Citizen Shouldn't be anywhere near an England squad unless they need an enforcer off the pitch.

I agree but it’s seems as though every England manager always has one pick that nobody can understand. I always remember Phil Neville being regularly selected and always thinking to myself WTF!!

• Dier and Trippier are the surprises. Both have been in terrible form.

• @Ddr Well, Henderson and Pope are better choices for the GK, so probably, Pickford will be assigned on the left ... LOL

No idea how the England line-up is in the next two games.

• Not sure what Grealish has done to piss off Southgate and I'm not a bitter Villa fan. All I can think is his behaviour during lockdown but if that's a factor then should Kyle Walker be there? Or Maguire.

I do like that Southgate doesn't just go with the obvious choices and seems to be his own man but I think Grealish deserves a call up. Could be that he just doesn't think his style suits his system or even his personality and if so...fair play I guess.

• I am a bitter Villa fan and Southgate is a cockwomble.

• It may be that Southgate doesn’t see Grealish fitting into the system England will play.

Or maybe Southgate has decided not to pick adults who insist on wearing children-sized shin pads.

Also, would you want Grealish and Dier in the same squad? One with a punch-me face and too much to say and the other with a thin skin and a willingness to have a smash up.

• Can somebody please confirm if the Nations League games are eligible for IPD or not?

• @Victory said in England squad for nations league:

Can somebody please confirm if the Nations League games are eligible for IPD or not?

Depends who you ask in Customer Service and if you look at the website or app rules. Toss a coin! 😂

• Poor squad choice from Southgate, really don't rate him as an England manager and he gets far too much praise for beating teams we should have beat at the world cup then losing to two decent sides.

That midfield is absolutely horrendous, surprised he didnt throw another of his favourites Lingard in there as well. Absolutely astonishing that he has not picked Grealish, it is obviously something personal there as it cannot be on talent.

No left back either? What about someone like Saka? just seems bizarre choices. We have a great crop of young players but a clown directing them.

• @NewUser503685 said in England squad for nations league:

Poor squad choice from Southgate, really don't rate him as an England manager and he gets far too much praise for beating teams we should have beat at the world cup then losing to two decent sides.

That midfield is absolutely horrendous, surprised he didnt throw another of his favourites Lingard in there as well. Absolutely astonishing that he has not picked Grealish, it is obviously something personal there as it cannot be on talent.

No left back either? What about someone like Saka? just seems bizarre choices. We have a great crop of young players but a clown directing them.

I completely agree with this. Glad to see Foden and Greenwood called up but they are both no brainers.

I'll give him a bit of credit for picking Phillip's and a very deserving Danny Ings, but for me hes living on thumping Panama, having won a shoot out, and for some reason, having worn a waist coat.

Ppl like Declan Rice are just a sheep pick. Dier is the ultimate sheep pick, and as u say, 3 right backs and no left backs. Yes we have an imbalance here, but surely drop Trippier and give a chance to Saka as u say, or even Brandon William's.

And finally for me, in what world is Trippier better than Wan-Bissaka?