My Biggest Mistake On Here... Always

• There's one thing that I am exceptionally bad at on Football Index and I'm curious to see how many of you are the same. After all this time, I still never leave myself with "opportunity money" sat in the account.

Every time I win a dividend or sell a player, I instantly find the next player to invest in. Obviously, that means my money is always working... but realistically, it means that when large opportunities arise, I'm not ready to capitalise even though I often see them early.

I say this because there are a few cash grabs coming soon and if people have their money in their account ready, they'll be better able to act. For example, with Willian gone and Jorginho looking like he could leave Chelsea, we don't know for certain who's taking penalties for the club yet. My guess is that whoever grabs the ball at the next opportunity will see quite a rise in price and it's the same situation for a host of clubs, not just with pens but free kicks/corners too.

Do you keep money in your account waiting for the big opportunity?

• Totally agree, I sold over the weekend and got a 1k cash balance ready to jump on defender IPDs from the 12th. Now currently have 0.22p :'(

• @Dan-The-Man I'm terrible at this myself but these last few days I've committed the cardinal sin of over trading and succumbing to FOMO. I thought I was better than that, maybe I am and I've just had a bit of a blip, or maybe it was just easier before the div increases 🤷‍♂️

• I'm a sucker for this too but trying to change those habits. I've had a smaller cash balance more recently but aiming to have a balance of at least 20% of my port available most of the time.

There have been so many opportunities I've missed out on. When Rashford went up over £1 in a day I saw it happening and could see him going up and up and couldn't do anything about it! Just be careful of FOMO of course...

• I never used to, I now try to keep around £1.5k in bids at anyone time - real low ball bids so I snap up the people with FOMO and I now can click cancel bid and have the cash to jump on any mini rockets.

Worked to the tune of around £350 this last weekend when I had chance to watch the market, which was great but its also filled my head with 'If the order banks turn out to be as good as FI lead us to believe - I could do this as my job'!

Because Monday to Friday I make bits and bobs, but when I spend 3 or 4 hours a day at the weekend I can earn a couple of hundred......bet its easier said than done having to do it day in, day out though.

• @Dan-The-Man Used to be a problem for me which has been remedied by the bidding option. Now I always have sufficient cash sitting at low ball bids on players to free up if an opportunity arises :)

And I’m other news, why the smeg am I unable to login to the forum via the app!? I know that my login credentials are correct so stop telling me they aren’t and sort your shit out FI!

• You can never have enough and just accept to miss out on some Opportunities , my cash balance went on messi and now i don't have one and now need another one......

• @Millerman said in My Biggest Mistake On Here... Always:

I never used to, I now try to keep around £1.5k in bids at anyone time - real low ball bids so I snap up the people with FOMO and I now can click cancel bid and have the cash to jump on any mini rockets.

Yeah, I think that's probably the solution right there.

I've may look to get out of some players specifically to create myself that type of fund.

• @MickTurbo said in My Biggest Mistake On Here... Always:

@Dan-The-Man I'm terrible at this myself but these last few days I've committed the cardinal sin of over trading and succumbing to FOMO. I thought I was better than that, maybe I am and I've just had a bit of a blip, or maybe it was just easier before the div increases 🤷‍♂️

Funny how after all this learning, we can still make rookie mistakes from time to time.

• I'm with Millerman, I don't have money in the bank a lot but I like to keep an amount invested in derisory bids for the odd player on the off chance I can pick a few bargains up. If a proper opportunity comes up, say a solid rec from the forum, I can cancel the silly low bids and invest somewhere fruitful.

• @Dan-The-Man i was the same and easiest solution i found was actually open up a separate online savings account withdraw the dividends (deposit £10 if necessary though be warned it will mess your alltime P+L percentage) then move that money over (minus the £10) Let it build up then find the player and redeposit, its really helped me not spend it so fast and find the bargains by doing more research rather then reacting straight away.

• @Dan-The-Man im terrible for it but ive been getting better more recently. I do find that im constantly thinking about where i can sprnd the money, i think a lot of it comes down to a sense of FOMO that that money could be working for me instead of sitting dormant

• I started keeping a chunk of money sat in the bank back in March when I realised that FI were regularly throwing out announcements. If it was in FI I'd have only spent it, but having it in the bank meant I could get it into FI as soon as an opportunity came up.

It's gone well so far, it allowed me fresh money to get on goalkeepers fairly early and then again flip some PB players. Certainly something I'll continue to do.

• echo what the @Millerman says, i recently sold sergio ramos on his rise think was x300 at £1.35 to market, i would like to re buy but for cheaper if poss so i put bids in for x400 at 99p, very much doubt they will match so that money is sitting there till i choose to cancel and use elsewhere or change the bidding as and when

• @Dan-The-Man think I have trading schizophrenia. I'd say from probably last tuesday to saturday I was absolutely on fire. Last couple of days trading have been a bit scrappy. I have these phases

• Yep I have some handy dividends that I've just tied up in bids. That money was meant to be reserved for the next major lot of IPOs. So what happens when those IPOs happen? I am going to get pissed off with myself for spending those dividends. I know this, yet still haven't cancelled the bids

• Selling 3,500 ADM at £1.10 just before he won 16p in PB on the CL semi final (0.16p X 3,500 = £560)

The seeing his IS price go up to £1.70ish before being stuck with coronavirus. (0.60 X 3,500 = £2,100)

So roughly £2,660 in the last fortnight 😭

Just shows - even us Guru's can get it wrong once in a while 😉

• I didn't use to have a cash balance, but starting to keep something in there just in case. Always good to be able to react to a change in news.

• @Dan-The-Man I am rubbish at keeping a cash balance. I've currently got £4.41 and even that is crying out to be spent. I always intend to let it build up to take advantage of any announcements, etc but then a player always catches my eye and the cycle starts again.

• @Dan-The-Man sometimes having a cash balance can be DANGEROUS mate - i just cancelled a few bids that have been sat for too long and then I noticed a few sudden buys on the ticker for a Rick Karsdorp?
    I impulsively just drilled into him and hit buy max. Just over 200 at 28p a share. Didn't know who he was or why he was rising, just pure gambling. So I put him in the sell queue after 1 minute without even researching what i had bought and they sold at 37p. Big relief, it was a trade i should never have been in! But he rose to 52p at one point so that was sickening, but i made money so all good.
    Turns out he is going to Atalanta to replace Castagne.

But the point is, some traders have bought 2-300 shares at 52p and now he is already down to 46p with an IS price of 35p. That could have been me if i had reacted 2 mins later. I would have been a few quid down and annoyed that i'd deviated from my strategy.

Its only a small amount from divs thank God but its once again burning a hole in my pocket. I hate having a cash balance haha!