Cash Balance for Thursday?

• I'm normally terrible at holding a cash balance to take advantage of opportunities that arise from announcements, dividend reviews, changes to the platform, etc. But I've manage to pull together about £500 ready for Thursday, which equates to approximately 5% of my portfolio value.

Out of interest, what percentage (if any) of their portfolio value are other people holding in cash in anticipation of full Order Books being introduced?

• I have a little bit at the side, but most of my short term trade pot went into Depay and that one has bitten me in the ass 😂 I am not really sure what to expect from Thursday. I have a feeling that market makers / FI offering shares at the top of the bid zone will effectively hold player values stable, and all the action will be going on between the spreads. I am not sure it will present any greater opportunity than has existed with ME bids over the last couple of months, but I may be way off the mark there!

• @ocs123

Sadly I only hold one player with a reasonable spread and I think he's ready to boom, so I won't have any funds free for this opportunity but I wish I did.

That said...

There will obviously be a lot of movement on Thursday and I just want to point out that there's only 1 PB fixture that day and it's PSG vs Lens. With Thiago Silva now at Chelsea, I could Kimpembe, Marquinhos and 23 year old Thilo Kehrer getting some love and probably Neymar giving the IPD's.

• @Dan-The-Man Not sure what the team sheet will look like given the COVID situation but Marquinhos/Neymar aren't available.

• Not been great at holding cash balances upon announcements.

However, i think a lot is going to happen on the Index this weekend. Personally, i'm going to sit and watch the market unfold because i simply do not know what we will see.

Don't want to be too reactive at a very exciting, yet delicate time.

• I’m holding none.
    Reckon the spike will be in the lead up ... can see increases all round bar some dross at likes of united when the sell cues are cancelled .
    I’m spending now prior to it’s introduction and just sellliing off some Average holds to buy more of what I want to have when ball restarts.
    Gonna be some big percentage risers is my bet Thursday.

• @Harford-is-God said in Cash Balance for Thursday?:

@Dan-The-Man Not sure what the team sheet will look like given the COVID situation but Marquinhos/Neymar aren't available.

Kehrer is where my money would be going. The other centre backs have already seen quite a rise since Silva departed and if Marquinhos isn't around for Thursdays fixture, I'd say Kehrer will be in a somewhat high profile position during a day where everyone is studying the impact of the changes.

• @Dan-The-Man Not sure that match or the one on Friday will have any special attention as the promotion doesn't start until Saturday anyway.

• @Harford-is-God said in Cash Balance for Thursday?:

@Dan-The-Man Not sure that match or the one on Friday will have any special attention as the promotion doesn't start until Saturday anyway.

Yeah you're probably right. With the Prem starting Saturday, Arsenal vs Fulham at 12:30 might be a better fixture to save your balance for. Liverpool vs Leeds could be an interesting one too. United have made a couple of decent signings but if Liverpool get rolling it could be a big score line with a big audience. MB is surely won in that match too.

• @ocs123 I've seen it said a few times we should be taking advantage of bargain prices before the order books come in...is this not the case? Should I be saving money for Thursday?

Genuine question as I'm not sure how it will effect things.

• i have zilch. chose to spend before big rises as more money comes in. i believe the index will do whatever it takes to grow big coming up to the end of this year. i think they see it as mainstream take off with the sunday times placing them second amongst tech companies/3 x spend on advertising in september etc.
    i would like to have a cash balance for ipds after 12th.might be able to find some money tucked behind the sofa
    i wasnt sure about thursday and its effects. Would rather watch ( maybe also behind the sofa)

• @howsthebacon said in Cash Balance for Thursday?:

@ocs123 I've seen it said a few times we should be taking advantage of bargain prices before the order books come in...is this not the case? Should I be saving money for Thursday?

Genuine question as I'm not sure how it will effect things.

Wise man once say... When in doubt... do nowt...

I've just relooked at the time line... The main event appears to be October 1st when the sell queue vanishes. Thursday will be interesting though and I dare say just about everybody will be active Thursday night, which usually means there's money to be made/lost.

• @howsthebacon

I genuinely don't know.

Normally I do all my trading before big announcements and changes, which works fine. But then I find I lack any spare cash to take advantage of opportunities that arise on the day itself.

Part of me thinks that the matching engine already offers the best prices and surely full order books will not change that. But then maybe I'm missing something or there will be some unintended consequence that will provide a great investment opportunity.

• I was just under the impression that the order books will drive prices up a bit and in response to Dan, maybe I'm pessimist and see more opportunity to lose out haha.

So wait, is Thursday when the commission is introduced for ME? If so then that is encouragement enough to get some buys in now.

• @howsthebacon I thought that was at the end of the month, but I may be wrong.

• @Richio no youre right . end of month

• @ocs123 this is what i would like to know

• @Richio I'm just asking mate, it might be. I have my last chunk I'm willing to invest for now sitting in my balance. I just feel this is the time to buy personally, especially for Prem players.

• @ocs123 fair point, I guess I'm just a pessimist and also wanting to top up on my Prem players as their prices seem to be going up and up...don't want Thursday to come and I've missed out on some bargain prices.

• I'm personally waiting - IPD increases, start of the season and introduction of offers makes me a bit uneasy about piling in now/Thursday. Going to bide my time and probably double up in October when there is hopefully a natural sell-off from the IPD period.