Worried about COVID

• If there's something most people seem to be on the same page about right now, its that the index is currently in a great place. Personally ive witnessed some impressive rises throughout my portfolio since the recent dividend announcement, and the general consensus is this should continue with the introduction of sell orders and concurrently the return of the league seasons.

All of this sounds so great that i'm tempted to increase my investment in order to take advantage of some inevitable rises, however the one thing that is really having an impact on my confidence (and I cant be the only one) is the resurgence of COVID-19 cases seen in recent days. With France and Spain seeing new cases of around 9000 and 7000 respectively yesterday and the UK not far behind with 3000, a second wave does really seem to be upon us. I believe the numbers were actually similar back in March around the time football was cancelled.

Obviously the leagues and clubs have been taking the maximum precautions to ensure the safety of the players so that the leagues can begin, but we've already seen outbreaks within several teams, just this morning it was revealed Laporte and Mahrez are infected. If this continues surely it is only a matter of time before a decision must be made by the leagues about the continuation of football.

Interested to hear what the community thinks about this, whether they expect the leagues to continue no matter what, and if not will FI be able to stimulate the market effectively using a similar strategy as in March?

• @LJINDEX i cant see them closing all our workplaces again so i cant see them shutting down sport either. This will be a world we live in for a while but even the local lockdowns fo very little apart from create the image of the government taking action. At worst we may see teams having matches postponed due to cases but not entire leagues

• @NewUser361864 the fact you’re having doubts is enough of a warning for yourself. You’re obviously a cautious trader so imo I’d wait and see what happens after the introduction of the offers engine.

Imo now is not the time to invest heavily unless it’s in proven dividends winners

• As we have seen with changes to the French Ligue, I expect we will just see higher thresholds for how many players have it for the game to be abandoned.

What worries me more is my players contracting it, knackering up my divs

• I have a friend who works in the testing call centre and it does seem like a second wave is a coming but as much as the plandemic conspiracy nuts think the government want to keep us locked up etc etc - they really don't. They showed as much with their slow reaction the first time round.

Where ever there is too much money at stake they'll do whatever they can to keep it going. Safety should come first and I'd like to think governments will consider this but most countries economies wouldn't survive another full lockdown so I can't see the football being cancelled either, too many greedy people involved. Which morally is bad but for FI it's good so...

• @LJINDEX

I was pretty early in pulling my money when Covid was brewing... I don't hold the same concerns this time around, as clubs have already put into place all of their precautions, and those who have been infected have not been subject to any illness of real note... There may well be some disruption to fixtures, but I suspect whilst the rates will rise in society, when the season is running fewer players will become infected than they have over the summer whilst holidaying etc...

• @Baydog Foden and Greenwood's behaviour doesn't help the cause but like you say with all their summer holidays out the way - footballers live quite sheltered lifestyles anyway. Training ground, stadium, home. They'll be travelling a lot for away games but they still remain in a bit of a bubble anyway so...hopefully it shouldn't have too much impact on the rest of society.

• As others have said, I think it will be more teams missing fixtures. Whilst this is fine pre-Christmas; it could cause an absolute minefield come the second part of the season.

I do have some fear of the authorities pulling football but there was an article in The Times at the weekend focussing on opening up theatres and sport venue's, abandoning social distancing on Nov 1st and just generally ramping up back to normal.

Long and short of it, apart from a small number of teams. Vast majority of Championship and below in this country just can't survive in the current climate and that'll be the main driver eventually.

• @howsthebacon apparently they just high fived a few girls in the hotel without asking the team doctor 🙈🤣 I jest

• @Highfields96 yeah that's my point, business seems to trump the safety of a minority. I don't agree with it but governments look at the world very differently and to an extent I get it. They have to think of the greater good but I feel I'm giving them way too much credit as it is more the fact they want to keep the wealthy business owners happy.

Anyway I'm veering away from football and that's not healthy for the forum :/ lol.

• @Gregolocky more high fived each other whilst performing an eiffel tower*

*for the record I'm not sure if 'eiffel towering' is a real thing, some horrible bastard from my uni football team mentioned it and it's just stuck with me

EDIT: if anyone isn't familiar with it, happy to explain but it's best you use your imagination.

• @howsthebacon I’m intrigued 😂

• @Gregolocky DM me haha! Na just your typical university football team 'banter' which they think is really laddish but is actually quite homoerotic. Two lads facing each other while you know and then they put their hands together to form the shape of the Eifel Tower. Quite cultural at least - I don't believe anyone has ever done this apart from maybe Patrick Bateman.

• Covid is either here to stay for good or will have trickled out over the next few years..Then it will be something else as this planet makes sure that you don't have comfort for too long

95% of players are on sale presently and I am happy to take the bet that all prices will be higher in 12 months time and most definitely higher in 36 months

I haven't stopped buying since COVID struck but perhaps you need to manage your emotions as opposed to what is going on outside what you can control and once you can do that the answer will come to you

Best of luck in your decision..

• @howsthebacon I was hovering over the reply button for 5 minutes and I still got nothing..... speechless 😂

• @Baydog said in Worried about COVID:

@LJINDEX

I was pretty early in pulling my money when Covid was brewing... I don't hold the same concerns this time around, as clubs have already put into place all of their precautions, and those who have been infected have not been subject to any illness of real note... There may well be some disruption to fixtures, but I suspect whilst the rates will rise in society, when the season is running fewer players will become infected than they have over the summer whilst holidaying etc...

I was the same but i didnt pull the money out i moved it all to media players in January/February because of the growing concerns and i share the same opinion as you now.

That level of lockdown wont happen again because they simply can't afford it

• @LJINDEX said in Worried about COVID:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 15.39.55.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 15.40.06.png

For perspective, the cases are high but the deaths are significantly lower. This is because:

• Those who were most likely to die were killed off en masse
    • We have way more effective treatments
    • Testing is more widely available
    • People are taking precautions like wearing masks

I wouldn't let COVID put you off but then... I never thought they'd cancel Football the first time around, so maybe you should.

• This post is deleted!

• @Dan-The-Man That pretty much nails exactly what I was going to say. New cases are going up because much more testing is being done (more tests = more cases). The real barometer to judge 'if' we're going backwards or seeing a genuine increase in cases can be gauged by hospital admissions, which are still dropping.

So in summary, I wouldn't be too worried as present. However, there are still plenty of Covidiots out there who could change that!

• @howsthebacon said in Worried about COVID:

@Baydog Foden and Greenwood's behaviour doesn't help the cause but like you say with all their summer holidays out the way - footballers live quite sheltered lifestyles anyway. Training ground, stadium, home. They'll be travelling a lot for away games but they still remain in a bit of a bubble anyway so...hopefully it shouldn't have too much impact on the rest of society.

True but surely Grealish must be getting itchy fingers at doing something stupid again or Walker wanting to get an itchy........ haha