Shaqiri

• Hi All,

I've not been on the Index long, just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the reasons for Xherdan Shaqiri's recent plummet?

I can't seem to find anything on Twitter about an injury, and I'd have thought with a transfer on the cards and a decent World Cup group, he'd be the sort of player people would be buying into.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

• Hard to say it's a plummet (look at his 3 month graph) but I don't blame you for asking as you're fairly new to this. I can't find any relevant news that would cause people to sell, it's probably just people deciding to take good profit.

Stoke are still likely to go down leading to more transfer spec so has reason to rise again. I wouldn't be too worried, these kind of fluctuations happen all the time.

• He ha sonly dropped 6p no great plummet to worry about, hes come out and said his team mates around him are simply not good enough so weather the beat the drop or not hes off, maybe people simply being cautious and waiting for stoke to be confirmed relegated, this is a good example of trust your gut, stay strong and you will get rewarded for it.

• He's very likely to leave, and hasn't had much direct transfer rumours yet so he's still a way to go in his price rise.

• I’m holding him, getting close to his buy price but not worried. I doubt he’ll get much PB in the coming weeks and with a flight price decrease, this can cause others to go “I don’t know why it’s reducing, I better sell off too” without actually knowing a reason to. Almost certain to leave and with a WC, I expect him to get into top 200 (making him eligible for MB too) and for his price to rise back up 👍

• @FranklynMary yeah definitely agree. He's got two positives in his favour. A world cup, where he'll be the main man for Switzerland (i think) and I've always backed them to get through their group. And what is increasingly looking like a certain transfer coming up so should have rumours galore. I can see him being linked to some of the top English teams which should alone cause a spike in price.

• On checking my history, I bought Shaqiri at 75p but sold when he hit 92p

Won't make that mistake again.

Fingers crossed

• @John-Renwick Completely agree. He's also 26 so should be entering his peak.

A word of caution for the WC though. Switzerland should get through their group but it is worth noting that each of their fixtures will take place on the same day as a Brazil fixture. This means that Shaqiri will be up against the likes of Coutinho etc. for the midfield PB. Their last fixture against Costa Rica also clashes with Germany v Korea so I think he is unlikely to be one of the key PB contenders during the WC.

That being said, I'd still be very interested in him at £1.26.

• I'm holding Shaqiri for the inevitable transfer any PB at the WC will be a bonus

• @Braveheart said in Shaqiri:

@John-Renwick Completely agree. He's also 26 so should be entering his peak.

A word of caution for the WC though. Switzerland should get through their group but it is worth noting that each of their fixtures will take place on the same day as a Brazil fixture. This means that Shaqiri will be up against the likes of Coutinho etc. for the midfield PB. Their last fixture against Costa Rica also clashes with Germany v Korea so I think he is unlikely to be one of the key PB contenders during the WC.

That being said, I'd still be very interested in him at £1.26.

Even on the same day, he was amazing at the last WC and if he were to perform to that potential again then he’s more than in with a shot for PB

• A player that I am kicking myself for not getting on when he trading at around the £1 mark, at £1.26 I still think he represents good value as I think World Cup and inevitable transfer rumours should see his price rise in the coming weeks

• @Dave-C said in Shaqiri:

I'm holding Shaqiri for the inevitable transfer any PB at the WC will be a bonus

Was just about to say the exact thing. Anyone holding any WC players should see the WC as a a bonus our you could be in for quite a shock

• @SMacFI Exactly, especially as Switzerland are in the same group as Brazil + Serbia, so even if they manage to get through the group stage is Shaqiri going to outscore the Brazil midfielders on PB!?! (All their games are on the same day!) Past PB form says 0.01% chance.

Anyone buying a player for WC PB should probably take a look at the fixture list first.

To be honest I couldn't understand why he's so expensive, he offers nothing for PB, BUT 1 rumour that he's going to a top club should see some return, personally happy to let this one slide though

• But then again we all should know football don't work like that all it takes is scoring a double a gwg and anyone will beat the best of players Brazilian or not. 1.26 I would argue he's far from highly priced for a player that's definitely moving compared to say Neves if wolves who's far from guarantee d to move (not for one second am I comparing the 2 players other than the fact one will move the other is 50/50 for a move

• @SMacFI spot on, being a wolves fan, I know first hand how good Neves is, but at his current price I wouldn't go anywhere near him, it only needs him to say he's staying at the wolves (which I optimistically think he will), and his price will tumble

Shaqiri, I think has got at least a good 20p rise in him if and when Stoke get relegated

• Interesting to read all these replies, thanks for all your thoughts!

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.