Is Kane's lack of skill stopping him becoming a World Class player?

• After watching him vs Watford yesterday it came to light how different he is to Messi, Ronaldo and Salah....these three players have similar traits that make them consistently good on the pitch and this is skill....

We know that Kane has the scoring ability and the strength against defenders to back this up but he lacks the skill to make him a 30+ goals a season player.

Any thoughts on what Kane needs to improve on to make him more effective on the pitch? and put him in the same scoring realms as the above three.

Cheers

AndyP

• In 3 out of 4 of the past seasons he has scored more than 30 goals.

• I don't think Kane needs to do anything different. He's not blessed with exceptional pace or natural ability but what he has got is something only the best strikers in the world have and that is an eye for goal, instinctive positional sense, confidence and a determination to hit the back of the net.... Too many 'strikers' this day and age say that "it doesn't matter who scores, winning is all that matters, as long as the team do well etc"... Kane is different.. Similar to Ronaldo... Kane wants to score, if he hasn't scored no matter what the result he's unhappy with himself... and that attitude is one of the biggest reasons why he's a great striker always looking to better himself and previous achievements when it comes to goalscoring.

Yes Kane can be frustrating, he'll shoot sometimes when a pass is on. He'll often shoot from anywhere in fact. He could probably work on his back to goal play better and his off ball contributions but we are talking minimal things which might even hinder his game initially as if he don't shoot he don't score as many and if he works any harder he might not get in the positions he needs to be in to finish off attacks.

I wouldn't liken him to Messi, Ronaldo, Salah, Neymar... He's not that sort of player... But he's a top centre forward, a classic number nine and a player that leads the line in the traditional way, so liken him to Alan Shearer, Lewandowski, Higuain and compare him against them and you get a better idea that after all, he's certainly in that bracket of world class strikers...

• @NewUser59855 there you go.....scoring goals but not appreciated by the world (as much as Messi, Ronaldo and Salah) !!

So the question is why is Salah suddenly all over the media from one season's performance + gets FWA player of the year + possible Ballon D'or whereas Kane has scored 30+ goals in 3 of the last 4 seasons and not got a single FWA POTY award or even a chance of winning the Ballon D'or !!

• Kane is still only 24 I think he will get better. He is a very good goal scorer and can set up play well for others, a mix between a Lineker and a shearer IMO.

You dont need mega skill and dribbling to be world class.

People like Ian Rush just scored goals for fun and they were world class.

There are not many like that nowadays.

• I think the underlying factor here is that you could argue Kane needs to be provided with the service. This may sound harsh but I don't think he's likely to pick the ball up from inside his own box, go round three or four defenders and then roll it into the corner of the net. You could argue the others mentioned could and have more than likely done that.

Likewise is Harry Kane likely to pull out an overhead kick that Ronaldo produced v Juventus in the Champions League...very unlikely.

I like Kane. He's not a player you watch for half an hour and think wow...this guys incredible. What he does have is a natural ability with which Ronaldo didn't have at Kane's age where he finds that bit of space in the box where he knows the balls going to drop. Similar really to Thomas Muller. I think they play quite similar and have a sixth sense to where the best position will be to find the net once it drops to them. Unlike Muller though, Kane for me is a much better finisher. Head, left foot, right foot, scuff or clean strike he knows how to finish. A lot of Kane's hard work is off the ball which means that he probably doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. You only have to look at his goalscoring record though to show what he can bring to the table.

• Yeah I think the answers have pretty much been covered already, but in summary, Kane IS a world-class striker because of his goalscoring and is recognised as such, but he's not the style of player that captures the imagination in terms of all-round ability that is consistently shown by Messi, Ronaldo and Salah. That doesn't mean he has to change anything though, he's just a different type of player who is great at doing what he does.

• Kane is world class and he doesnt lack technical skills in my opinon.

Excellent Link up player in the build up and creator

• Also, Kane's passing for assists is actually quite good. He just doesn't tend to get the ball in positions where he wants to pass rather than shoot. Consistently scoring so many goals (including goals against very strong opposition) proves he is a world class striker. And as for PB... Goals really help!

• @AndyP32 said in Is Kane's lack of skill stopping him becoming a World Class player?:

After watching him vs Watford yesterday it came to light how different he is to Messi, Ronaldo and Salah....these three players have similar traits that make them consistently good on the pitch and this is skill....

We know that Kane has the scoring ability and the strength against defenders to back this up but he lacks the skill to make him a 30+ goals a season player.

Any thoughts on what Kane needs to improve on to make him more effective on the pitch? and put him in the same scoring realms as the above three.

Cheers

AndyP

And for exactly what you say he will see the biggest crash after the WC IMO on high value players

• @SMacFI
    Kane will be the player to drop the most in value , he’s well over price . Goals n being England number 1 forward is keeping his value high . Out of the big price boys on FI , Kane is the last choice for me . More value else where for sure .
    I rather gamble on other players .

• @FOF - I agree with you on Kane, very overpriced in the long run. His PB is pretty poor and his MB record since the new year has been poor too. Over shadowed by Neymar and then Salah in a big way. Think he will rise as world Cup approaches and win a few divs but I can't bring myself to stick with him that long. Not when you know that Pogba, at a fraction of the price, consistently earns more dividends!

• @Pierrey2129 said in Is Kane's lack of skill stopping him becoming a World Class player?:

@FOF - I agree with you on Kane, very overpriced in the long run. His PB is pretty poor and his MB record since the new year has been poor too. Over shadowed by Neymar and then Salah in a big way. Think he will rise as world Cup approaches and win a few divs but I can't bring myself to stick with him that long. Not when you know that Pogba, at a fraction of the price, consistently earns more dividends!

Harry Kane was £9.50 in February, that’s not the World Cup, peaked at over £10 before his injury.

He won’t drop after the World Cup, he will get better and do we really think he will stay at Spurs in the long run or even short term, he will always get speculation with the big clubs in the future if not this summer. I can’t see Spurs turning down 100 million for him.

I

• @NewUser60527 said in Is Kane's lack of skill stopping him becoming a World Class player?:

@Pierrey2129 said in Is Kane's lack of skill stopping him becoming a World Class player?:

@FOF - I agree with you on Kane, very overpriced in the long run. His PB is pretty poor and his MB record since the new year has been poor too. Over shadowed by Neymar and then Salah in a big way. Think he will rise as world Cup approaches and win a few divs but I can't bring myself to stick with him that long. Not when you know that Pogba, at a fraction of the price, consistently earns more dividends!

Harry Kane was £9.50 in February, that’s not the World Cup, peaked at over £10 before his injury.

He won’t drop after the World Cup, he will get better and do we really think he will stay at Spurs in the long run or even short term, he will always get speculation with the big clubs in the future if not this summer. I can’t see Spurs turning down 100 million for him.

I

As a Spurs fan id storm the castle if we sold Harry Kane for 100 million!!!!! There would be carnage on the streets. Mbappe's fee to PSG is 164.5 mil, sorry but although he has bags of potential he is not on Kane's level atm in terms of goals, what he does for the team and consistency. It would be madness to sell Kane for less than Mbappe is "worth" 200 mil + in todays crazy market is more realistic.

• @NewUser60527 I hope you are right. I'm in this to make as much money as possible and I hope Kane only increases. Fingers crossed.

• @NewUser60527 Kane will definitely be dropping after the World Cup. He's propped up massively due to the fact he's our only World Class player and there should be lots of MB for him in the summer.

• Yeah I hold Kane and even I say he'll drop after the WC. Hopefully after England get eliminated after game 2 ;) lol. But I'm certain Spurs would knock back 100million for him. He'd be far closer to £200m if he was to transfer due to his amazing goal record.

• Levy got £30m for a 27yo Berbatov in 2008, with current prices that would be around £150.

He also got a world record for Bale so I don't think £100m would even get him to the table.

Kane is worth a lot more than Berbatov was and probably similar to Bale so I would suggest around £200m or 1/4 of a Wembley.

• Spurs unlucky not to beat Juventus and progress further in the CL. They’ll be looking to do better next year. More importantly they’ll be moving into their new stadium and I’m pretty sure they’ll want Kane to remain captain and lead them out, and pretty sure he’d want that too! Unsure about summer 2019 but I’d be extremely surprised if Kane left this summer, regardless of the fee!

• Spurs will turn down 100 million for him...

Moving to a new stadium don't want to sell there biggest asset...

130-150 million if prices don't go through the ceiling might go next year, levy will hold out for the moon mind..

Fact is they still need to re invest and finance this new super stadium.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.