Calm down people

• So another night of red numbers and much wailing, I suppose that's understandable. This is only happening because people are selling, but keep in mind that if people are selling that means that there are the same amount of people buying, e.g. people want to buy shares. So to all of you holding shares ( I hold aswell) don't sell them, as soon as the selling stops the red numbers will stop. Remember I say again people WANT to buy, so don't panick and dump your shares at a loss. hold fast, make the people who WANT hit the BLUE button.

• People are losing faith mate. The fat gains are turning into fat losses. People keep seeing port drop and have no control over it other than keep what is left safe. I think that is reasonable

• Hi buddy, it certainlly is reasonable for people to have concern, and of course each person must do what they think is right for them and their money, as I said I understand.
    But if that concern leads them to make a knee jerk decision to try and save money it may actually cost them.
    For example (I've allready meantioned this on someone else's thread) last night I could have bought Harry Kane on the blue button for £3.98 . HARRY KANE for £3.98, one of the best holds you could possibly have on the index what with the new dividend set up. The temporary madness that made people unload him at this price was caused by panic. When I last looked he was back up to £5.60 odd and he'll be back at £7 probably if he bangs in a couple of goal against plovdiv, never mind the fortunes he'll earn in dividends over the weeks/months. £10 by the Euro finals? who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm just gutted I had no money to pile into him, and I feel for those who got rid.

• @NewUser311263 said in Calm down people:

So another night of red numbers and much wailing, I suppose that's understandable. This is only happening because people are selling, but keep in mind that if people are selling that means that there are the same amount of people buying, e.g. people want to buy shares. So to all of you holding shares ( I hold aswell) don't sell them, as soon as the selling stops the red numbers will stop. Remember I say again people WANT to buy, so don't panick and dump your shares at a loss. hold fast, make the people who WANT hit the BLUE button.

The default supportive advice of many people around here is:

"Don't panic, don't sell in times of panic!"

This well meaning advice was given to lots of people over the last few days. Such broad advice is usually not tailored though. The market crashed yesterday and many folk could have avoided taking such a big drop by selling Thursday. If they had sold, they would also have raised the capital needed to mop up the insane price drops.

So not only did the people who listened to the broad advice get burned, they missed out on a massive opportunity too. The killer is, I'd bet many of the people who were giving out that advice, were selling players to buy the bargains.

• @Dan-The-Man

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But in reality selling by Thursday would have been very difficult because: (a) the sell queues were extremely long; (b) the spreads were very large, with a diminishing number of matching engine bids; and, (c) very few people were buying or creating new matching engine bids in the week leading up to OBs.

Plus of course no one knew how large the falls were going to be or that there was going to be some funny business / market manipulation with prices last night.

In theory someone who sold their entire portfolio by Thursday and bought back last night would have made a killing, but in reality it is highly unlikely that more than a few holders with small portfolios would have been able to do that.

The people who really got burned will be the donuts who pressed market buy in the days leading up to Thursday and then panicked last night. They have locked-in their losses!

• @ocs123 and if people sold off on Thursday, the crash would have just happened a bit sooner.

• @ocs123 said in Calm down people:

@Dan-The-Man

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Sure but blind faith and broad advice, isn't.

In reality selling by Thursday would have been very difficult

Absolutely, it would have been incredibly difficult to shift some players. But take Richio.... he binned his entire port right at the peak of crash last night for what he said was a spread of around 15%.

5 minutes later, I tagged him in a Pogba post where if he'd have thrown his money into, he'd have picked up a 30% increase. The lesson being that in the darkest hour last night, the brightest opportunity came out but only for those who were prepared and in a position to act.

Now, that's not going to apply to everyone. For example, my IS price would have tanked my port 40%, so that opportunity wasn't as clear cut for me. But for a guy like Richio, who by the sounds of it bought largely top end players... the advice could be different.

So as well meaning as the "don't sell" advice is... it can be really bad advice.

• @Dan-The-Man if he had done nothing his portfolio would have just about recovered looking at the top 100 now. As it turns out he probably sold at the worst possible time

• @Black-Wolf said in Calm down people:

@Dan-The-Man if he had done nothing his portfolio would have just about recovered looking at the top 100 now. As it turns out he probably sold at the worst possible time

Yeah sure, but if he'd have slapped that money in Poggers he'd be up significantly...

• @NewUser311263 is Harry Kane one of the best holds with the new dividends?

Not sure he’ll win much in a José team, no CL so may be rotated in EL, ageing and arguably getting worse, injury prone. Surely better investments at that price point eg KDB/Kimmich?

Not criticising, just intrigued as to the love for Kane and what I maybe missing.

• @Dan-The-Man said in Calm down people:

@NewUser311263 said in Calm down people:

So another night of red numbers and much wailing, I suppose that's understandable. This is only happening because people are selling, but keep in mind that if people are selling that means that there are the same amount of people buying, e.g. people want to buy shares. So to all of you holding shares ( I hold aswell) don't sell them, as soon as the selling stops the red numbers will stop. Remember I say again people WANT to buy, so don't panick and dump your shares at a loss. hold fast, make the people who WANT hit the BLUE button.

This well meaning advice was given to lots of people over the last few days. Such broad advice is usually not tailored though. The market crashed yesterday and many folk could have avoided taking such a big drop by selling Thursday. If they had sold, they would also have raised the capital needed to mop up the insane price drops.

So not only did the people who listened to the broad advice get burned, they missed out on a massive opportunity too. The killer is, I'd bet many of the people who were giving out that advice, were selling players to buy the bargains.

If you don't sell you dont get burnt in a market during a decline 🤷‍♂️. If they haven't sold any players and they then recover in a few weeks, they haven't got burnt at all. I was pushing for people not to panic last night and sell because its clear people are getting to grips with order books still. I can assure you my advice was for the greater good of the forum last night. People were panicking all over the shop and needed reassurance, plenty of us were giving it. Didn't you get players cheap last night? So who is worse, the person offering advice of reassurance whilst there is a clear panic happening or the person taking advantage of someone panicking 🤔. Not saying people shouldn't take advantage of the opportunity at hand but i certinly wouldn't call out those offering the reassurance and saying we've cost them money!

• @Dan-The-Man fair enough but id still see that as riskier than just sitting tight and doing nothing. I feel sorry for the guy and any others in the same situation sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing

• @Shippers said in Calm down people:

@Dan-The-Man said in Calm down people:

If you don't sell you dont get burnt in a market during a decline 🤷‍♂️

That's true for some players, not true for others. The blanket advice of "don't sell" can be truly terrible advice.

I can assure you my advice was for the greater good of the forum last night.

I've no doubt about that @Shippers that's why I said 'well meaning'.

• @Dan-The-Man said in Calm down people:

@Shippers said in Calm down people:

@Dan-The-Man said in Calm down people:

If you don't sell you dont get burnt in a market during a decline 🤷‍♂️

That's true for some players, not true for others. The blanket advice of "don't sell" can be truly terrible advice.

In a market of transition where most were absolutely bricking it last night and the fast paced nature of it all, i think the most sensible thing to do was sit back and learn from it. If you felt comfortable to trade then do it but if you're in the camp whereby all this is new, and you felt uncomfortable with it, long term watching and learning from the situation is more beneficial.

• @Dan-The-Man depends on the situation but last night was definitely a ‘dont sell’ Situation

• Just imagine what another crash will do. The Index is a bit too 'fragile' right now. It won't take much to take the whole thing down thats why people are selling

• If everyone knew how easy it was to drop a players price then wouldn't be a crash.

• @NewUser485878 not at all if you read what’s being written and watch the FIG video it puts in all into perspective

• Did anyone else get the feeling of an ‘Oceans Eleven‘ type heist going on!

• @NewUser186178 i got more of a ‘the village is on fire lets all run around in circles screaming kinda vibe‘ if im being honest