My Index Journey

• OK before I start this isn't a doom and gloom post, it's actually quite comical. Well it made me laugh to myself anyway that's why I'm sharing it. I started on the index May 19, in that time iv done many trades. Some good, some bad. I got 200 Rashford at 4 which looked set to get me good profit. The forum has been the place I would come to for advice and iv worked out who I trust. I do have an understanding of the product and which players are index material so to say.....
    I started off with a grand, then another and eventually put in 6 thousand of my own money. I have since May also re invested 805 of dividends straight in so my overall cost is 6805. My fake portfolio total read 9300 ish last week. I wasn't naieve, I knew if I wanted out it would be very different.....

Right I know that everyone says the iS isn't a true value of your portfolio but I really do think it is... I hate to say it but I'm not sure this is for me anymore, but I really want it to be. This morning iv checked what I would receive if I IS'd the whole lot. The total is 6018..... I'm 18 quid up, I'm actually happy that I could leave in profit. Probably similer to what I would have got in an isa to be fair.

My question to the the lads on here is do you honestly think things will pick up. I could get out now and be up. There are so many who have lost recently who I feel terrible for. It's a fantastic product but I don't know whether I have the skill to play the game as I feel you might need now. Sorry to go on. I'm just your average football loving fan who loves the Matchday experience the index gives.

• @AndydfopT another way to look at this is that you made £805 in dividends in 4 months?!
    If in 3 years your players are worth what they are now you'd still have made thousands in divs?! :)

• @Marksandygill I meant May last year sorry il edit mate

• @AndydfopT said in My Index Journey:

OK before I start this isn't a doom and gloom post, it's actually quite comical. Well it made me laugh to myself anyway that's why I'm sharing it. I started on the index May 19, in that time iv done many trades. Some good, some bad. I got 200 Rashford at 4 which looked set to get me good profit. The forum has been the place I would come to for advice and iv worked out who I trust. I do have an understanding of the product and which players are index material so to say.....
    I started off with a grand, then another and eventually put in 6 thousand of my own money. I have since May also re invested 805 of dividends straight in so my overall cost is 6805. My fake portfolio total read 9300 ish last week. I wasn't naieve, I knew if I wanted out it would be very different.....

Right I know that everyone says the iS isn't a true value of your portfolio but I really do think it is... I hate to say it but I'm not sure this is for me anymore, but I really want it to be. This morning iv checked what I would receive if I IS'd the whole lot. The total is 6018..... I'm 18 quid up, I'm actually happy that I could leave in profit. Probably similer to what I would have got in an isa to be fair.

My question to the the lads on here is do you honestly think things will pick up. I could get out now and be up. There are so many who have lost recently who I feel terrible for. It's a fantastic product but I don't know whether I have the skill to play the game as I feel you might need now. Sorry to go on. I'm just your average football loving fan who loves the Matchday experience the index gives.

What did you used to enjoy about FI? And why do you think you don't have the skill going forward?

• @AndydfopT I did think that was one hell of a return, wtf are you complaining about! :)
    I don't know mate, FI could and should fly after full OB and the enhanced IPD finishes, maybe a deposit bonus, but I'm just going to start putting my money in long term holds and collect the divs, Iv'e stopped thinking it'll make me a millionaire by this time next year!

• @AndydfopT the last few weeks have been tough. Whether you continue with the platform really depends on your outlook for the platform. I’m still feeling quite positive and I’ve been on the platform only a tiny bit longer than you.
    In my view, we’ve been through a mass of changes which have disrupted the market considerably. My feeling is that the platform is now close to the lowest it can be and I’m hoping that we’ll start to see rises again in the coming weeks. The new dividend structure gives the potential for massive returns at today’s prices, far exceeding any savings account. Once the market is more stable and starting to creep up then we’ll see the investment starting to come back in.
    I believe in the product and it’s long term appeal to the market, which I think is the be-all and end-all really.
    I also expect FI to get to the bottom of the recent issues and sort them out so that the product retains its appeal. Alternatively the product gets sold off to a buyer for further investment and market appeal.
    The last week has made me rethink my appetite for exposure though so I may consider withdrawing my original investment and playing with profits once we see a recovery. With the odd investment and withdrawal here and there where opportunities present themselves.

• @Marksandygill I swear if you read any other threads iv always said if I get my money back I'd be very happy. I'm just not sure you can play the long game anymore. I'm still in profit so I don't need to make any rash decisions but I really feel for those who have recently deposited and must all be sat in the red thinking what I have done

• @Luke PS. The buy orders already seem to be picking up on the ticker!

• @Luke very sensible approach mate. Im fortunate to be able to withdraw everything which 18 pound profit lol. There must be so many red ports. Its gambling I get that so it's my own doing. I convinced my dad to deposit a couple of g a few months back. I looked at his port yesterday, all solid pb performers, all in the red. Il stay out his way lol

• @Yellow I still do love the product mate, I just feel there is a lot more flipping now. You need to be more savey. I have a very dividend heavy port. I know money shouldn't come easy but I felt FI had so much growth potential that I would be quids in. As my post proves, I was wrong. It's all been wiped.

• @Luke I'm dropping by the hour mate. Il check tomorrow and see if I can IS without losing my 18 lol

• @AndydfopT quality will shine through in the end. Solid PB earners will increase in value and deliver divs. There’s a lot of flipping at the moment but I expect that will slow down once the IPDs bonus ends. The recent race to the bottom will become a race to the top for some players soon.

• @AndydfopT

If you're checking your portfolio on an hourly basis, then that's not particularly healthy and you may have a problem. As they say, when the fun stops, stop.

Also, you say you have a dividend heavy portfolio, in which case I don't understand why you're concerned about your short term portfolio value. Presumably you bought your dividend players with a view to collecting dividends over a prolonged period? If so, selling now is a terrible idea.

Just let the dividends keep rolling in and look to sell up (if you need to) next Summer. You'll be much better off than you are now.

Alternatively, if you really need to get hold of some cash in the short term, wait until your dividend players have a good game and sell on a spike. For example, Savanier who had been trading around the £1.60 to £1.80 mark, could have been sold yesterday evening for circa £2! Now he's back down to circa £1.80.

There are lots of good exit points still available for MB, PB and IPD players, it just takes some monitoring and planning ahead.

• @ocs123 I appreciate your feedback mate but surely you would think its a bit rubbish to build a portfolio over 15 months and realise you can just about breakeven?

• @ocs123 the value has gone down over that time, that my only concern

• Best advice i can give is to listen to yourself. If its causing you any stress or nervousness looking at your port, call it a day. Worst case, you put your money back in when you feel like doing so. Not trying to sound soft or cliche, just spouting whats gone through my head recently.

• I sold up at a 700 loss on Sunday. Kind of regret it but that 700 would have been 1,000 now. Rational irrational decision in the end. I could have bought back in and looked for bargains but I don’t have that time to spend with work and family. I have left a tiny amount in just to see how this plays out. My decision will be to come back when OB has been fully implemented. Maybe that’s an option, take a breather with no loss now and come back. You don’t appear to be getting any fun out of it now. Stress is not good. For others they thrive on this situation, just not for me. On another note personally I just can’t get my head around this company giving us a half baked system and how they can get away with it. This is a betting platform, we should expect the company we place our bets with to have no flaws in the product. Best of luck.

• @AndydfopT If I had built a portfolio over 15 months I certainly wouldn't look to sell it all in one go at the same point in time, so i'm not sure valuing it in that way is helpful unless you really would just hit instant sell on it all. As with trading anything else the time you sell is as important as when you buy. If you had stocks in 25 different companies would you really think about selling them all at once?

• @Julian-Noble you must of been one of those who had just started out on here?

• @scfc good point very well made