Thiago

• Posted about him in another thread. Deserves his own. Base score of 98 for 45 minutes. Just saw this on Twitter. I know it was against 10 men but Liverpool will play everything through him. Looks promising.

Incredible stats by @OptaJoe. Thiago completed more passes (75) than any player in 45 mins since passing stats began in the Premier League in 03/04. He also completed more passes than any other Chelsea player and he only played a half.

https://twitter.com/daveockop/status/1307733529388777472?s=21

• @Julian-Noble I agree. Looks like it's an evolution of their playing style to more possession based rather than by-pass the midfield to the front men or attacking full-backs.

I made this analysis on Twitter last week & got panned by the TAA holders.

But it's true 👍

Klopp is using different tactics to evolve his team, it's more evident when you also see they are getting a left foot delivery now, more than ever before, from FKs & corners (Robertson) who coincidentally took 6 of them today to TAA's 4. 😳

Screenshot_20200920-193220.png

Screenshot_20200920-193238.png

• @Julian-Noble

Yeah he looked impressive.

On days where he gets a goal he should have half a chance.

Fabinho was playing as a make shift CB though and I'm fairly certain he'll still be 1st choice for playing in the middle of the park when Gomez is back from injury, which is where Liverpool always play through.

It'll be interesting to see how they line up when the rest of the team are back to health.

• @Julian-Noble Thiago has always been a PB beast and it looks like he has every chance of continuing or even improving that at Liverpool.

• With the way that Liverpool play this guy will defo earn you divs. I’m a holder an I won’t be selling anytime soon his only 29 probs at his peak but what a player he is, plus euros next year so his defo a good hold

• Historically he is a PB beast, but crunching the numbers, he only won PB once for Bayern last year. (The was star man 16p)
    The fact that Bayern win every game 5-0 nil, and he was injury free most of the season, it’s a mystery he managed just 1 PB win. He was defo blinding in the final stages of the champions league where he was unluckily pipped by Kimmich twice, but for a lot the season, the PB scores weren’t actually that great. That seesawing between world class and bang average were said to be one of reasons Bayern let him go. Discuss 😉

• @Valhalla said in Thiago:

Historically he is a PB beast, but crunching the numbers, he only won PB once for Bayern last year. (But it’s was star man 16p)
    The fact that Bayern win every game 5-0 nil, and he was injury free most of the season, it’s a mystery. He was defo blinding in the final stages of the champions league where he was unluckily pipped by Kimmich twice, but for a lot the season, he PB scores weren’t actually that great. That seesawing between world class and bang average were said to be one of reasons Bayern let him go. Discuss 😉

I wrote something similar earlier after looking at the data but binned it off because having Kimmich at the side of him is basically a handicap. Stick Messi at the side of Neymar and one of them is going to take a big PB dive, simply because they're playing together.

But...

I maintain that with Liverpool, you're not betting on the player... You're betting on the system. Which ever player takes the middle of the park, is going to be the highest scoring midfielder on the majority of game days, with exception to the days where those on the left and right score goals. Last season it didn't matter if it was Fabinho, Henderson or Milner... the man in the middle dominated the PB.

If Hendo hadn't gone off injured and Thiago had joined the match as an LCM, he wouldn't haven't picked up that 99 points because those passes would have gone through Henderson as the middle CM. I'm not saying Thiago won't win some PB... Liverpool win so many games and he's bound to pick up some assists with the odd goal but for me, he's about £1.50-£2 over priced. The current hype might make him seem reasonable if it converts to MB but will it?

• @Dan-The-Man

I'm still hopeful Fabinhio gets that role... I upped my 500 to 750 and since then he has been rested and played CB, keeping the faith though.. Thiago did look good in that role, so I have not real idea who will prevail on that one!

• @Dan-The-Man Do you think they paid £25m for a 29 year old Thiago to be a squad man who will be part of a rotation system? I get your system point but I think he's been brought in as a point of difference to what they have today and will be a starter in the middle of the park dictating play and offering a new challenge to the opposition.

• @Harford-is-God said in Thiago:

@Dan-The-Man Do you think they paid £25m for a 29 year old Thiago to be a squad man who will be part of a rotation system?

I think he's been brought in to replace Wijnaldum who's on his way out and £25m is a snip for a player of Thiago's calibre.

Look back through his career though and you'll see he doesn't manage a full season.

• Only 5 regularly starting midfielders had a higher average PB last season, one of those was Kimmich the thief...:)

I've always shied away from Liverpool's midfielders due to how they set up, but I still think Thiago will win divs, and at least push for TOTM!

• @Baydog said in Thiago:

@Dan-The-Man

I'm still hopeful Fabinho gets that role... I upped my 500 to 750 and since then he has been rested and played CB, keeping the faith though.. Thiago did look good in that role, so I have not real idea who will prevail on that one!

I wouldn't worry about the CB thing... Gomez and Matip were injured and even at CB Fabinho picked up a 189, which out did the rest of the Liverpool mids by over 100 points. Granted, Henderson went out injured so him and Thiago split the CM role PB.

• @Marksandygill said in Thiago:

Only 5 regularly starting midfielders had a higher average PB last season, one of those was Kimmich the thief...:)

I've always shied away from Liverpool's midfielders due to how they set up, but I still think Thiago will win divs, and at least push for TOTM!

Isn't that's down to how Bayern play though?

I'd have thought whoever replaced Thiago in that set up, will probably have a helluva PB record this season.

• @Harford-is-God

Tbf they paid 40.5m for Fabhino. Just saying 😁

• Pool definitely got their bases covered in their squad now.. Any injury and they have proven quality to step in... My feeling is their mid will be Fabinhio / Thiago at the base, with Hendo / Kieta / Thiago / Ox either side.

Thiago will easily play that outside of centre role but I don't think Fabinhio would be as effective there as he is in the base position, so my feeling is Fabinhio would be more likely to feature there on the regular but could be proven wrong on that one.. They can all pretty much play any of the roles so happy days for Klopp

• @GarethG Props......as the kids say apparently