Are Football Players Getting Used To Playing With No Fans?!

• Less abuse and less pressure, hence the goal glut last weekend and still, no draws in the premier league. (I know I'm practically summoning dark arts to guarantee a few 0-0s at the weekend but bear with me..)

With Covid restrictions on the rise again and winter incoming, there are various sources who believe that March will be the next step for some kind of normality.

How does this affect football and FI? Will football be more free flowing with more goals? Without crowd influence, will there be less upsets? Will Santa be allowed to enter other households at Christmas? Are European and International football threatened by the risk of being called off again?

• One obvious effect will be more away victories, as home teams lose the ability to intimidate the away team through atmosphere in the stadiums.

• Another benefit is the amount of money away fans will save from not having to give a scruffy teenager a fiver to 'look after the car' whilst they're at the game.

• @Yellow

LOL 😂

• Agree, definitely less pressure for the players but don’t forget some players like pressure on the pitch it makes them give more, look how fast Liverpool normally play at Anfield with there fans? UK government have got it all wrong, we need fans ASAP!! Like Norwich beating city last year when they were playing home no more of those wins will take place

• @Lukeroro said in Are Football Players Getting Used To Playing With No Fans?!:

Less abuse and less pressure, hence the goal glut last weekend and still, no draws in the premier league. (I know I'm practically summoning dark arts to guarantee a few 0-0s at the weekend but bear with me..)
    With Covid restrictions on the rise again and winter incoming, there are various sources who believe that March will be the next step for some kind of normality.

Man City have a huge advantage this season, having played under similar conditions for a good few seasons now

Roy and Klopp.jpg

• @Lukeroro oh how i hope you are right about a load of 0-0 this weekend

• I don't think the goal glut was particularly indicative of elite level finishing but rather simply a lack of match fitness, preparation, and concentration.

The lack of fans is a more general factor though, I agree. I imagine most of the players are enjoying not being abused while doing their job!

• So how does this influence FI?

Or does it?

• @Lukeroro I would like to see a stat to show if defenders scored more goals then usual weekend past, it seems on the surface like that's the case.

In an FI sense maybe we could see higher scores from defenders which could present better star man potential for that category.

• I'm more concerned for lower league football. There's enough interest in the top leagues for them to survive but if fans can't go to the likes of Crewe, Chesterfield, Morecambe, Southend etc then you could well see a tonne of clubs going into liquidation by March.

• @DW that's interesting. But, it might not be a higher proportion, just there have been a lot of goals! And, like @FootballArgos said, it's the start of the season and defending is rusty and I think that affects set piece defending more than anything as that's down to instinctive and habitual concentration and reactions.

Why would no fans mean more defender goals?

• @stumac85 said in Are Football Players Getting Used To Playing With No Fans?!:

I'm more concerned for lower league football. There's enough interest in the top leagues for them to survive but if fans can't go to the likes of Crewe, Chesterfield, Morecambe, Southend etc then you could well see a tonne of clubs going into liquidation by March.

You know it. Lower leagues have been getting stiffed for many years now, and every month without fans is another nail in the coffin for these clubs.

• @stumac85 there is talk of Prem clubs helping out the lower league clubs - was it Dyche though who said that's all well and good but show me another industry where businesses are having to do this? Are Pizza Express giving independent pizza places handouts?

Valid point but I guess football is different to other businesses. I don't think it should be enforced but the bigger clubs could save their nearby lower league teams with pocket change.

• @howsthebacon My simple understanding of TV money handouts

EPL - finish bottom get s you £100m
    Champs - £7m
    L1 - 900K
    L2 - 250K

So if you have no fans coming in, the EPL survives, Champs will have difficulty and the rest, well are *ucked.

Clubs like Burnley should remember where they came from rather than spewing elitist bollocks. Phil Gartside, the Bolton owner at the time suggested a Prem 1&2 as a way of protecting themselves, guessing their singing a different tune right now.

Football in this country is built on the foundations of lower league football, it needs to be helped in its time of need, you never know when you might be the one with the cap in hand.

• @Harford-is-God said in Are Football Players Getting Used To Playing With No Fans?!:

@howsthebacon My simple understanding of TV money handouts

EPL - finish bottom get s you £100m
    Champs - £7m
    L1 - 900K
    L2 - 250K

So if you have no fans coming in, the EPL survives, Champs will have difficulty and the rest, well are *ucked.

Clubs like Burnley should remember where they came from rather than spewing elitist bollocks. Phil Gartside, the Bolton owner at the time suggested a Prem 1&2 as a way of protecting themselves, guessing their singing a different tune right now.

Football in this country is built on the foundations of lower league football, it needs to be helped in its time of need, you never know when you might be the one with the cap in hand.

Not so long ago both our teams were in the 5th tier of English football. I went to our home game where there were over 10,000 fans...for a 5th tier game. You simply don't get that anywhere else in the world.

The lower leagues in England should be celebreated, unfortunately I think we're all too guilty of over indulging in what we've been fed by Sky and BT. The money that the Premier League has bought into the game has well and truly fucked it at all levels.

I'll stop now as I'll just rant.

• @Yellow Yep, football only started in 1992.......

Ok, I'll stop as well.

• @howsthebacon I think the point being made was that the EPL was due to pay a parachute payment to Fulham that became null and void due to promotion. Instead of keeping the cash like they usually do they were asking that the funds could be distributed to Football League clubs to keep them going.

The EPL rejected this and distributed the funds among its 20 member clubs instead. Hence it is in the Dingles interest to shit talk about EFL clubs as they profit from the funds not going down the pyramid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8720075/Premier-League-rejects-EFLs-request-share-Fulhams-34million-parachute-money.html