Compulsive gambler

• Is it possible for this type of person to make money here if you’ve very little self control also? I think I would be up about 5 k here from a 10 k investment instead I’m breaking even.

• In my opinion, no. It takes patience and profit will come from investing in long term holds and in predicting where the money will go. More buys and sells = more commission too.

• @NewUser332703

Can you put your finger on why?
    When did you join?

• @Timmy said in Compulsive gambler:

In my opinion, no. It takes patience and profit will come from investing in long term holds and in predicting where the money will go. More buys and sells = more commission too.

I think that used to be true... but looking around the forum, the guys who seem to be doing well at the minute are the ones making short term in out deals, buying in between the spreads and I can see why.

If you ignore the Buy price, and focus only on the Sell price, you see that many players are fluctuating 20p per day, sometimes several times per day. So if you track 1 player, and when you see him drop, buy in... then sell on his rise.

At the minute, long term holds could run in to a bumpy ride given the changes to the platform.

• @Dan-The-Man Thats what I have been thinking about.

Will longterm CA still be a viable strategy?

Or will we all just be cutting throats jumping from trade to trade from now on?

• @Kanzz

There's always going to be monster CA, because we do't know who this seasons breakout star is yet and next seasons breakout star might not even be 16 yet.

Say Telles gets a move to /man Utd and turns in o this seasons Trent with a bunch of PB wins, his price will grow.

But there are advantages to getting and out quick but it comes with the risk of over trading.

• @Dan-The-Man I can see and agree with that.

Going to be new ground for me tbh, as I used to just let holds sit untill the transfer came threw then cashed out.
    Now however Im going to try and trade in and out at highs and lows to bank the profit and try and compound it.

My biggest problem is I get attached to the %, going to be a wild year lol.

• @NewUser332703 It's possible but not probable!

Personally, I've moved on from FI to the financial markets, and I'm doing far better and making far more money. However, both in FI and financial trading my positions are medium to long term.

As most gamblers are looking for short term gains ... whilst ending up losing in the long term, IMO ... FI isn't the place to be.

I'm going to sell my players and reinvest in the financial markets.

If you want a short terms hit, Amazon, PayPal, anything to do with shopping online, and interactive communication is booming, and IMO going to boom further in the near future. With everyone on lockdown, and with Christmas looming, I'd rather stick my money into Amazon than in a football player who might not be playing because Boris has shut down sport again! Amazon shares have increased 50% since the lockdown … how much further do you think they're going to go during Christmas, when we're all on lockdown again, and the small retailers are shut?

I liked FI when I first got started, but there are better opportunities!

• Out of interest what’s the easiest way to invest in say Amazon shares?

• @NewUser170323 I agree there is money to be made from some stocks and shares but the difference for me as a football fan is FI is fun. I don't mind if I win or lose a little as long as it's fun and if anyone comes on here and loses a lot it's time to quit.

• Banned

This is a gambling site.

if you have an issue with gambling, you shouldn't be anywhere near it.

• @NewUser170323 said in Compulsive gambler:

@NewUser332703 It's possible but not probable!

Personally, I've moved on from FI to the financial markets, and I'm doing far better and making far more money. However, both in FI and financial trading my positions are medium to long term.

As most gamblers are looking for short term gains ... whilst ending up losing in the long term, IMO ... FI isn't the place to be.

I'm going to sell my players and reinvest in the financial markets.

If you want a short terms hit, Amazon, PayPal, anything to do with shopping online, and interactive communication is booming, and IMO going to boom further in the near future. With everyone on lockdown, and with Christmas looming, I'd rather stick my money into Amazon than in a football player who might not be playing because Boris has shut down sport again! Amazon shares have increased 50% since the lockdown … how much further do you think they're going to go during Christmas, when we're all on lockdown again, and the small retailers are shut?

I liked FI when I first got started, but there are better opportunities!

If you believe in market efficiencies then they should already be built into the price. In reality they have probably been over-built in due to people thinking this. What happens when Covid clears ? If Boris adjusts tax to favour retailers over online (which he should, its very dangerous to society that more and more is online).

I invest in markets but in trackers. Most professionals don't beat the market so don't have any faith in myself to do so.

• @Archer22 said in Compulsive gambler:

Out of interest what’s the easiest way to invest in say Amazon shares?

Probably something like Freetrade.

I use Vanguard for trackers but have a Freetrade account for fun trading (I do attempt to have a go at beating the market). If you want can get send you a referral link which gets you a free share. Exciting eh, worth a good £2 or something.

The more traditional investing platforms have more charges. Downside with something like Freetrade is I don't think you can wrap in a ISA which you want to do for big investments to swerve capital gains tax.