Does share value mean anything these days?

• I think alot of people here are getting the wrong message with the Big Green numbers and "share value". From my understanding the actual value of your share is the sale price. If you buy and sell using this price, you will have a better understanding of the real value.

• @Deano4dawin said in Does share value mean anything these days?:

I think alot of people here are getting the wrong message with the Big Green numbers and "share value". From my understanding the actual value of your share is the sale price. If you buy and sell using this price, you will have a better understanding of the real value.

Agreed. I'm not seeing big green though , mostly red as my port is set at the Mid Price, which is far more realistic.

• @Deano4dawin the share “value” is the money I believe it will make me over the period I hold it.

Depending the player that could be
    PB divs over 3 years.
    CA on a youth player I think will make the first team.
    MB on a transfer

Once I make the money I want I exit the trade the current prices is irrelevant until I want to exit.

• @Sav2000

This is going to sound super picky and is probably just semantics to most people so feel free to ignore me, but what you're describing there isn't value but worth.

Value is what you can sell an item for. It's objective and for most players is probably the IS value at the moment.
    Worth is the subjective value to you as an individual.

So for example, my car might have a value of £10K, that's the figure it would sell for, if I was looking to sell it. However its Worth to me is more than £10K as I wouldn't sell it for that as if I did I'd have to go buy another one, which is a hassle and is a drain on my time, plus I'll be getting a second hand car with an unknown history. So its Worth to me might be around £13K. As there is a gap of £3K it's unlikely that I'll be selling my car in the near future.

Hope that makes sense and appreciate it's just a question of terminology but I have to deal with people miss using value and worth all day at work so it's kind of my pet hate.

• @GDS I used the word "value" as that's the word used by FI on your portfolio and what people will be looking at. I'm suggesting, completely ignoring this value figure and it means nothing. The sell price is what a share is worth and not the "value" number.

• @GDS yes you are being picky 🤣

plural noun: value
    the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.

For me the value is in the importance (what will they achieve) and the worth (the money they will make me)

Maybe in the sector you work you use that terminology doesn’t make you right, just makes you different to me 👍

• @Deano4dawin i dont plan to sell anytime soon so i go by the cost value of my portfolio and my cash balance. As long as it keeps going up i know im earning dividends and making profitable trades. My aim is to just keep increasing the cost value and i pay no attention to the virtual value or the profit/ loss figure.

• @Sav2000

Maybe in the sector you work you use that terminology doesn’t make you right, just makes you different to me 👍

Yep, horses for courses and we all know that you should ATITH

• @Deano4dawin said in Does share value mean anything these days?:

I think alot of people here are getting the wrong message with the Big Green numbers and "share value". From my understanding the actual value of your share is the sale price. If you buy and sell using this price, you will have a better understanding of the real value.

The value of your shares are what you value them at unless you have really picked a dud. Dont let other traders value them for you and give in, if for example you bought a player at 60p, current instant sell is 40p. If spreads tighten over time and that trader couldn't get a nibble, likehood if your players scores and has a high PB game, people will buy and that original trader will end up buying at a higher cost or the bid will become a lot more competitive. Let the bidders lose patience!