The Changing of the Guard?

• I firmly believe that we are now seeing the backlash from FI having an identity crisis, onboarding swathes of traditional "punters" in the past 18 months who are now massively out of their depth and completely disillusioned with the platform. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable.

It's not just a case of the new "punter-trader" not fully comprehending the platform dynamics (not easy these days!), it is also the fact that the risk-reward factor is nowhere near the level required to float their boat, as such.

A £10 first goal-scorer bet can earn your typical punter anything from £20-£400 back from the bookie, almost instantly - massive reward! Of course, you can lose your tenner just as quickly.

Alternatively, that £10 can get you 50 shares in a risky 20p hold on Football Index and you can hope he earns some divs or maybe grows in cap app - the rewards are much less on FI than traditional "betting" and they take so much longer to accumulate (up to 3 years), yet now with no guaranteed IS on many players, the risks are not that dissimilar.

So, the exodus from those who have an appetite for high risk & high reward is nothing to fear, it's just the changing of the guard

Changing of the guard.jpg

The platform will become populated with a similar demographic that was present when I joined in 2018 - the largely risk-averse, patient, strategically minded type of person - "investors" rather than "gamblers", if you will.

The type of people happy to earn 15% ROI per year on an asset they can then sell on at a likely profit. Modest, safe gains, with the odd exception here and there (insert rockets emoji ha!)

I remember when I joined FI, any downturn at any time was always countered with "what are you up now % wise compared to an ISA?" and it always put things into perspective. No brainer.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are heading back towards an investment platform, one that is a hell of a lot more fun than an ISA and more rewarding. If you left William Hill or Coral to come here and it isn't for you anymore, nobody will begrudge you leaving. FI is finding its identity again and going back to its roots. It won't be for everyone

I wish you good luck if you are selling up and hope you are prosperous in your traditional gambling exploits.
    And if, like me, you are bloody excited for the future of this fine platform and are strapped in for the long haul, I salute you too!

Gatsby toasting.jpg

WE GO AGAIN!

• @ScouseSte well said. We should slide back into the mode where prices were affected by what happened on the pitch. From my experience i feel that ever since the share split was announced FI have continuously been finding ways to stimulate the market instead of just letting it be. They can still do stuff like that but now its less likely to artificially inflate prices which means players will be much better valued and offer higher returns. It’s becoming an exchange again which in the longterm is better for everyone involved

• @ScouseSte I'll raise a glass to that! FI has always been a fun way of investing and will continue to be so in the future. Patience and consideration always been key and nothing has changed from that perspective. The rules have changed, trends are changing, opinions are changing but the underlying principle of the platform remains the same. FI shouldn't be about quick wins, chasing losses or FOMO. Success on the platform comes from patience and consideration. Onwards and upwards!

• @ScouseSte but in 18 months time will they begin to revert back towards making FI more enticing for the short term gambler?

• So no new money as everyone who leaves tells the world about their FI experience.

• Agreed, however I think it's important that FI isn't seen as an investment vehicle. I think too many people had excess money in, purely with the idea that the platform would grow, when it clearly can do the opposite. Whereas for me the fun and the money should come from gambling well. Admittedly you can't have either when the market is crashing, which is why stability is key.

• @ScouseSte said in The Changing of the Guard?:

If you left William Hill or Coral to come here and it isn't for you anymore, nobody will begrudge you leaving. FI is finding its identity again and going back to its roots.

Agree with much of that but it just begs the question why did FI spend so much in marketing to attract those users in the first place (without making any appreciable effort to explain, demonstrate & educate ALL users what they were signing up for)?

I totally sympathise with the following argument; you sold me a Football betting platform only to remove cashout, drop OB's on me & expect me to calculate dividend yields, all culminating in an almighty market crash that wiped 20% off my winnings almost overnight & then wonder why I'm leaving.

Plenty on the forum have tried tirelessly to explain & justify the current FI roadmap & why it makes sense & how patience will eventually pay off - What the F*** have FI done to aid this education effort? Where are the Academy "How to/What if" guides & no money risk demonstration "try before you buy" aids?

Acquiring new users is hard enough, especially with the current economic backdrop, but to effectively drive them off the platform having lost money & had a totally miserable experience within a few months of joining is simply unforgivable. Good reputation is hard earned but easily lost.

• @ScouseSte well said and cheers to that! 🥳

• good thread, i agree. my only concern is if FI is winning, and the platform is full of savvy traders, who loses and is providing the money for everyone?

• @Notanyoldnewuser said in The Changing of the Guard?:

Agreed, however I think it's important that FI isn't seen as an investment vehicle. I think too many people had excess money in, purely with the idea that the platform would grow, when it clearly can do the opposite. Whereas for me the fun and the money should come from gambling well. Admittedly you can't have either when the market is crashing, which is why stability is key.

In Fridays update, Adam Cole revealed he hopes to be FCA regulated (or similar) in future.

• @Lukeroro said in The Changing of the Guard?:

@ScouseSte but in 18 months time will they begin to revert back towards making FI more enticing for the short term gambler?

Who knows mate haha?

• I work in that area so it'll be interesting to see how many complaints come in about FI once they're regulated!

• @trig said in The Changing of the Guard?:

So no new money as everyone who leaves tells the world about their FI experience.

But if punters are telling other punters at Ladbrokes on a Saturday afternoon "swerve that FI mate, its shit" , it won't make any impact if those people are no longer FI's target market

• Yeah I think it's been said before but the introduction of NASDAQ and FCA regulation will attract bigger players, one big player is worth 1,000 short term gamblers. People asked why did they advertise to these lot, I think they maybe over estimated the average gambler or they just wanted a shit load of commission not really caring if the reputation takes a bit of a hit on the high street.

• @Geronimo159387 said in The Changing of the Guard?:

@ScouseSte said in The Changing of the Guard?:

If you left William Hill or Coral to come here and it isn't for you anymore, nobody will begrudge you leaving. FI is finding its identity again and going back to its roots.

Agree with much of that but it just begs the question why did FI spend so much in marketing to attract those users in the first place (without making any appreciable effort to explain, demonstrate & educate ALL users what they were signing up for)?

I totally sympathise with the following argument; you sold me a Football betting platform only to remove cashout, drop OB's on me & expect me to calculate dividend yields, all culminating in an almighty market crash that wiped 20% off my winnings almost overnight & then wonder why I'm leaving.

Plenty on the forum have tried tirelessly to explain & justify the current FI roadmap & why it makes sense & how patience will eventually pay off - What the F*** have FI done to aid this education effort? Where are the Academy "How to/What if" guides & no money risk demonstration "try before you buy" aids?

Acquiring new users is hard enough, especially with the current economic backdrop, but to effectively drive them off the platform having lost money & had a totally miserable experience within a few months of joining is simply unforgivable. Good reputation is hard earned but easily lost.

They are still marketing themselves as that. That is a huge problem. They sponsor two football teams with the aim of attracting the casual fan who likes a flutter and the ads suggest that football knowledge is all you need.

• Here comes @ScouseSte and he hits the nail on the head.

• The problem is that I'm pretty sure that it's the gamblers that make them the money. Investors who buy and hold for a long period of time aren't going to make FI much money (if at all).

They need people to be buying and selling, enjoying little gains but perhaps not really doing the maths on how effective they are being.

Ultimately, we need new money and to get that, the risks need to be a lot lower than they are at this point in time. Unfortunately, the shift to a more complex, less controlled system has really hit everyone hard.

I'm more and more thinking that bids/offers need to go. They will try the order book as soon as possible, but I fear it's still to complex for the average gambler. We've had several months of people bidding far below the asking price, forcing a drop and creating a snowball effect to where we are now.

The only thing that they needed to add was to be able to set a sell price ABOVE the current buy price, so that traders can buy and setup certain profit targets as they go.

I think this is all really a plan because of the massive liabilities that they had on instant sell, but that was the foundations of the system.

• @Richio feel like they're trying to do both, steal customers from the bookies, the average football fan etc whilst also getting big players to bring big money in once they get to where they want to be (NASDAQ/FCA). This is problematic for sure, I mean it's not impossible to do but they'd be a lot better just managing their growth and not throwing money at marketing until everything is in place...maybe I'm just being too sensible here.

I worked for a small car insurance company a while back and I really admired their CEO who didn't see dollar signs and just make the company grow unsustainably, he would turn away a lot of business and keep things small while they got their shit together. Feel like FI could maybe learn something from that.

• I think their just winging it and hoping for the best. Feels like that anyway

• @howsthebacon said in The Changing of the Guard?:

feel like they're trying to do both, steal customers from the bookies, the average football fan etc whilst also getting big players to bring big money

There's room for both types (pure gamblers & investors) & hybrids, as can be demonstrated by the different strategies that we all use. long term buy & hold dividend earners, short term IPD flips, transfer punts, inter-spread traders can all be profitable.

If £1bn mkt cap is a realistic aim then FI can't afford to ignore any recruits & certainly doesn't want to poison the well of potential users with negative trust pilot, social media & word of mouth reviews from the stream of disillusioned leavers that it current seems to be generating.