Selling up on brown Sunday.

• I’ve had a bit of time today so looked back at the prices of some of my holds when I sold them on brown Sunday and where they are now. I lost a decent amount of money getting out but had hit my threshold and wasn’t willing to pass it. For a while afterwards I felt a bit stupid for taking that decision. From the calculations I’ve done today (and this is a reasonably accurate guestimate if I’d left my port exactly as it was), my losses would now not be the 15%ish I lost at the time but nearer 25%. I’ve a smaller, much changed port now which is holding up ok amidst the decline, but with hindsight bugging out saved me hundreds of pounds. So now I don’t feel so bad, and maybe caution may have been better for some (but not all) others, depending on their port. I’d also advise that blanket “ride out the storm” or “get out now” advice isn’t helpful or always correct either way, because everyone’s port carried different risk and has been impacted differently by the current depression.

• Theres a lesson in there somewhere. Well done. The road to recovery can't come soon enough. I also hate it when people go about calling it brown sunday and saying people shat the bed. Can happen to anyone and a little sympathy goes a long way sometimes. I've also been called negative troll for expressing my views but thats another story

• Glad you've gone back and had a look and it's made you feel better about your decision.

A lot of people have been criticising people who sold up as panic stricken idiots who don't know what they are doing, but the truth is that it might not have been such a bad decision.

I sold a quarter of my portfolio after IS was removed and then saw the market climb as people anticipated the new dividends being announced, however I'm delighted I sold when I did looking back on it.

At some point the drops will stop, that point might even be now, but there's nothing wrong with selling on the downward slope, particularly if you are able to buy back in further down that slope.

• @GDS I wasn’t going to buy back in but have tested the water with 20% of my original investment, that I’m just happy to trade and see where it ends up. I’d advise everyone to do what is right for them, even now in a falling market which we don’t really know the endpoint of. I still look at a lot of player values, particularly at but not exclusive to the top end and think they’ve still got a serious way to drop yet. Even in my new port I’ve bought 3/4 during the IPD bonus period that I now realise were hopelessly overvalued for the normal dividend structure but thankfully they aren’t huge holds in premium players that could drop another 40/50% easily. I’ve jumped out of kids with potential like Bellingham and Aouchiche since rejoining at losses because it dawned on me that there’s no substance to their values. I honestly don’t think Sancho is more than a £5-6 hold, so how could Bellingham be a £4.50 or Aouchiche a 2.90? With hindsight it was a madness.

• @Skinny said in Selling up on brown Sunday.:

Theres a lesson in there somewhere. Well done. The road to recovery can't come soon enough. I also hate it when people go about calling it brown sunday and saying people shat the bed. Can happen to anyone and a little sympathy goes a long way sometimes. I've also been called negative troll for expressing my views but thats another story

It happens to every single one of us at some point. No way id of held my nerve on Brown Sunday if it had happened in my first year on FI but we learn from these things and get better traders because of them. I think every trader has what we call shat the bed at some point and we are all happy to admit it because if it hasn’t happened yet it will happen one day.

Good to see you back in the game @Richio

• @Black-Wolf u bring back them bad memories of cho!

• @CLACKETT Neymar rape accusations for me. I shat myself when he fell and when he recovered i was shitting myself because i saw first hand the impact a bogus media story can have and was worried how i pick the truth from the BS. I ended up dumping all media holds which i hindsight made no sense at all. 😂😂

• @Black-Wolf Yeah I was out well before that happen and I don't know what I would have done cs you never know where it is gonna stop. Sometimes cutting your losses quick saves you having to go through the whole cycle and paying the price of time so to speak and you will appreciate that small loss compared to have to take a bigger loss further down the line if necessary just like this example shows. Like you said it is all part of the game/fun and should make you a better trader

• @Skinny why the name change? It feels like im talking to a different person? 😂

• @Black-Wolf Because there was another OldNewUser lol

• @Skinny i know i tagged him trying to tag you once

• @Richio glad you got back involved, joined at a similar time, shat the bed at a similar time and then got back involved at a similar time.

Spider-Man-meme.jpg

• @Black-Wolf Just to add to my other post it just goes to show the importance of having a cash balance

• @Black-Wolf yeah that was another one I can remember watching the boy swimming and see neymar tank thinking not again😭
    But stuck it out with him.

• @Skinny yeah i was doing a great job of keeping a cash balance until this. Now my cash balance is spent as soon as it appears

• @Black-Wolf Thats a good problem to have though 😅

• @Skinny it stresses the importance of dividend earners

• @Black-Wolf I hope I have picked some. Although funny their the ones in decline today. I'm kinda happier with my others picks. Prices have started to go up a bit so I'm kinda glad I bought yesterday cs today my bids aren't being accepted anymore. Only managed to get 45 Thiago @ £2.20

• @Black-Wolf Its early days anyway. It's like starting again for me

• @Richio Great post! Now, more than ever, it’s important for people to do their own research and risk assessment and make their own decisions. Everybody should read the forum to gauge sentiment but the problem with listening to the most vocal and passionate is that they are often the most emotionally invested as well. When people start calling others idiots for not following their way of thinking then you can bet their opinion is not worth listening to.

Some people seem to forget that this market is made up of a limited amount of liquidity and when the taps are turned off, then it’s every man / woman / horse for himself.