New member chat and learnings

• Good afternoon, I joined last a couple of weeks ago and wasn't really sure what i was doing (Still not 100% sure) but bought a lot of people and realised i had made mistakes and sold them at a loss.

Just really looking for advice on do how long people keep people in their portfolio, is it mainly for the dividends and don't worry about the value?

Also do you just have a main handful of players rather than spreading too thin, would it be better just having more shares in less players?

Also if any other newbies want to chat here that would be great to share ideas

• @NewUser663286 I was like you at the beginning, obsessing a bit too much over the value. If the value is plummeting its fine to be concerned but you have to remember you can hold the shares up to three years, and just think if you bought a decent player he will have good games in the next three years so if you're patient you'll find a good time to sell.

I was like you though, panicked and sold on a few shares then saw them rise soon after. Patience is definitely key.

For the record I'm still fairly new, few months now I think.

• It’s been a rough ride on here for the three months I’ve been a member of FI.

Main thing I’ve learned is to be patient, don’t knee jerk buy or sell ..... think it through before you act.

Don’t get caught up buying players rising like crazy unless you know what your doing . Often you’ll get stung.

Identify who you want to hold on to for PB ( that at the moment is where your profits will come from )

Buy them when the spreads are wide

• Good to know i am not the only one! - I don't want to deposit so much so tend to stay away from the expensive players as i would want more shares in lower value players!

• @NewUser621426 Sorry what does PB mean?

• All I can say is this .... in three months I’ve seen players drop from £15 to £9 ...... £10.50 to £7.00
    We know who they are !
    Why at the moment would I want one Neymar when I could have about 8 Lewandowski.

Players in certain price brackets can only loose you a £1 or so a share even if they drop 50% in value

• @NewUser663286 Performance Buzz. It's where a player scores well on an Opta scale which wins dividends for you per share. For me, it's the bread and butter of FI.

• I hope your joking on the PB question or your asking to have your pants pulled down .... don’t mean that to sound rude by the way and certainly not mocking you. You just really need to know that one fundamental if nothing else before spending another penny

• I just didn't know what the acronym PB stood for thats all!

• The other thing that confuses me is slightly is the bids for buying and selling as opposed to instant sell and buy

• @NewUser621426 & @NewUser663286 please both get a user name or this will get confusing to read

• That’s where it starts getting complicated and I’d lie if I said I knew everything .... I’m still learning each day.

Your buying and selling between the spreads

If you instant buy then your paying full wack

If you bid then you will eventually hit on a figure someone is willing to sell at

Not too sure on the selling yet as I’m holding my players for the three year bet

I’ve recently started buying some great players that are a little out of form .... ie: KDB Man City or suspended players ie: Angel Di Maria

Can get some great prices to buy at and surely they will be back and playing at their best in a matter of weeks and then ...... hopefully nice rises in value as well as PB wins

• Sorry about the user name thing .... hadn’t got as far as working out how to create one, but your right it does confuse the thread.
    I do like however the fact I can see that more people are joining just by reading their membership number

• @Three-lions to be fair I read all the academy page and when I came into the forum I was still thrown by all the initialisms. DYKWIM?

• @Dragon4Life said in New member chat and learnings:

Good afternoon, I joined last a couple of weeks ago and wasn't really sure what i was doing (Still not 100% sure) but bought a lot of people and realised i had made mistakes and sold them at a loss.

Hi there, I have been on here a couple of years and I can say with confidence that everyone who plays this platform has made plenty of costly mistakes along the way...

Just really looking for advice on do how long people keep people in their portfolio, is it mainly for the dividends and don't worry about the value?

Had you joined a couple of years back the advice would be different to what it is today... Back in the good old days you could buy just about any player and you'd expect them to appreciate in value over time.. Since some fundamental changes were made to the platform recently I would not say that buying and sitting will be the most efficient strategy for many if not most players on the index. It is now quite important to monitor your holds and assess various market forces such as on the pitch performance and the sentiment this brings, to transfers windows, fixture lists and market cycles.
    It sounds quite complex so I will give a working example ..

One of my current favourite holds is Daichi Kamada of Frankfurt. I purchased shares in him at the beginning of the season with the expectation that he is going to possibly win me dividends and increase in value (capital appreciation/CA). Under the old system), but he is not a regular or known PB performer so it is quite speculative which is reflected in his value.

Early in the season he won some PB dividends, but rather than just sit and hold I opted to sell a percentage of my holding on the spike for circa 20% profit, whilst the rest of my shares won about 8% return from the dividend win. Shortly after the dividend win I was able to buy shares in him for the same price I had him at before to increase my holding again (partly using the dividends and CA I had made from his sale and pb dividend win.) For thee cheaper players it is called "refreshing shares", as during the first 30 days of a hold a player is eligible for in play dividends (IPDs), where any goal or assist within that window will win you 2p per G&A. None of my Kamada shares were IPD eligible, so I took the opportunity to take some profit and refresh about a third of my hold so that those shares could win IPDs during the next 30 days...

In-terms of monitoring a hold, it is all down to individual players. As Kamada has already won some PB divs and has yielded a return, he is one that I think will be worth holding on for a while as it gives him some added intrinsic value. His stats are decent, he is averaging over 3 key passes a game and has a couple of goals/assists under his belt so I feel he is a good hold.

However, he recently signed a new contract and has no summer tournaments, so my experience of how market cycles works tells me that he is likely to become less appealing as a hold to the masses around March time, so rather than holding a stagnant/depreciating player over the summer and for the full 3 years, I will look to sell him on a spike around March and then buy back again at the start of the next season . The following summer he has the world cup and more likely time for a transfer, so that season I would think of him as more as a potential 3 year hold... Spotting market cycles will help you to know when is best to sell and hold and assess things, but it does take experience to learn them I am afraid!

Also do you just have a main handful of players rather than spreading too thin, would it be better just having more shares in less players?

I am an advocate of diversity. I prefer holding more players in smaller numbers because with OB's the wind can change quite quickly and you can suddenly be in a situation where people no longer want to buy your player (injury, bad transfer etc). This can mean you are unable to sell at a decent price for months or more. For that reason alone I think it is wise to try and keep a diverse mix even if it is very tempting to go big on some!

Also if any other newbies want to chat here that would be great to share ideas

The forum is a very helpful community, so never be afraid to ask questions!

• @Dragon4Life said in New member chat and learnings:

The other thing that confuses me is slightly is the bids for buying and selling as opposed to instant sell and buy

Either your trolling or you need to log out of the forum and start looking at the Academy pages to see just how bidding and dividends work

• There are some people you can really trust on here; glad to see @Baydog and @Sav2000 commenting. Another is @Black-Wolf.

You have to learn to take a range of opinions, but most importantly try and do your own research. If you think something might be worth exploring yourself then do it. I like this approach as not only have I learned something, I've verified the information myself.

I am quite diverse (not on @Baydog levels), it's best to cover a few bases. PB is key in my eyes, but it can be unpredictable. There are a few posts from a while back that will explain/answer a few of the key questions you have e.g. there is a whole thread on Abbreviations.

When I first joined FI in 2016 I didn't even know they had a forum; I didn't enjoy it and left. Now I am back, I think I'm enjoying it a lot more because interaction on the forum gives valuable information you can take to your portfolio.

• @Munchie63 said in New member chat and learnings:

@Dragon4Life said in New member chat and learnings:

The other thing that confuses me is slightly is the bids for buying and selling as opposed to instant sell and buy

Either your trolling or you need to log out of the forum and start looking at the Academy pages to see just how bidding and dividends work

this wasn't a dig btw.......but you do need to understand how bidding works or you're going to overpay and then think that FI is a poor product.

I'd suggest you use the 'watchlist' too
    you can add players that you are thinking of buying to your watchlist and se ho their price does without actually buying them. Okay, if they rise you're not actually making money, BUT it gives you the chance to see if you're choosing the right players with no risk

• Whose the best value now? Looking fir large spreads to abuse!

• One thing I'd be particularly careful about is buying players from non-PB leagues - the eligible competitions are listed on the FI website. If you buy such players, you are basically gambling on them making the step to a PB league which is probably not worthwhile in most instances.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions, sorry people are giving you a bit of a hard time about doing so for some reason. Obviously keep reading the forum and don't necessarily take player tips (aka "pumps") at face value, you'll hear the phrase "do your own research" (DYOR for your acronym collection) frequently!