Opinion on players in port

• Starting to wonder if I’m an awful trader so could people tell me how bad my timing was with these players and what hope I have with them.Ziyech 3.58, van de beek 3.42, badiashile 1.54, son 2.78, boubacar kamara 1.17, cucerella 1.30, Willian 1.89, martial 3.17, Gabriel magahales 1.72, jota 2.82 and the list goes on.

• Looks like you are buying players on their peaks, probably because of FOMO. So yes, those are pretty bad trades.
    Try and plan exit points on your trades in future. If you see someone spiking then you have to consider that at some point all those shares need to be sold for traders to realize profit.

• @DillyDong yeah pretty abysmal trading, do you think any of them will recover much? Don’t see van de beek recovering much, it will take months to undo all that damage? Normally I don’t buy on peaks like that but I guess I got carried away with the IPDs.

• I think you’re going to struggle there if I’m honest. I hold Badiashille (albeit at 1.04) but he’s a terrific talent with good base PB. I can ultimately see him being a £2 CB so I’d hold. The rest you’ve got a decision whether to at some point cut your losses or hold and it be relatively dead money.

• @NewUser332703 said in Opinion on players in port:

Starting to wonder if I’m an awful trader so could people tell me how bad my timing was with these players and what hope I have with them.Ziyech 3.58, van de beek 3.42, badiashile 1.54, son 2.78, boubacar kamara 1.17, cucerella 1.30, Willian 1.89, martial 3.17, Gabriel magahales 1.72, jota 2.82 and the list goes on.

Ziyech almost certainly will. He's out injured and when a player is recovering from injury, he usually rises... coupled with the fact that Chelsea fans are going to be wowed by him and that he may end up taking all the set pieces except pens... and I think there'll be some big interest.

The bummer is, that dip, is now going to have some folk like you wanting out of him, so he's fighting an uphill battle.

• I think they can recover at some point over the next year, you have to be very patient

• @NewUser332703 honestly, awful timing, not bad players but you bought at the top and the only way was down!
    They may pick up but it could take a bloody long time on some of them!
    Always ask yourself why you're buying a player, is it for capital appreciation (in which case never buy during or just after a good game) or is it for divs (in which case look at how much they have won previously and how much they cost now/age etc)
    And if you're going to sell ask yourself if who you're buying is any better and if they will earn enough to cover your losses!?

• @NewUser332703 as others have said, bad timing more than anything(and I am guessing you bought at full value?)

Think a couple could increase, but you have got a ragtag bunch of players who have their big club move factored into their price (and for some,have already got that big money move).

I'd hold tight on Badiashile as he has age on his side and a decent PB game, and I would probably take a punt on keeping a couple of the others (Ziyech could still turn out to be very good in the prem and get some MB), however now's the time to start thinking of expected returns on any new players you buy

• I done a similar trade with one player,my strategy has been to put more money into him by bidding so that I could take the average price down ,and my average buy price went from 90p to 44p
    Which is good so as soon he has a good game and people buy into him I will exit and possibly with some profit too

• @Moukoko bought for the divs and not really understanding when to sell before they plummeted, how long would you hold onto them before cutting your losses? I think van de beek is definitely a dead hold kind of anyway.

• @Marksandygill yeah mate dreadful timing, if I was to buy de Bruyne and kimmich, I want them but the timing could be similar? wouldn’t that be at there peak also?

• @Richio yeah thing is I’m a relatively ok trader, just lost the run of myself with IPDs and van de beek I thought with him being united player he might go to 4 pound or so.

• @NewUser332703 I can't make that decision for you, but some of the factors at play with Van De Beek:

How long do you think Solskjaer will be manager at Man U? And does Solskjaer leaving improve Donny's game time or will he get frozen out?
    Are you happy to sit on the hold you have knowing short term you will be losing money? If so, when is your get out? You would expect United to do ok in Europe and he's probably an integral part of the current Dutch squad, so do you think his div returns will offset his forthcoming price drop?
    Do you see him regularly beating Bruno and Pogba to PB and MB divs?
    And most importantly, is now a good time to sell? Is his spread big or small?how much do you stand to lose and do you see someone who could cover your loss if you bought into now?

• @NewUser332703 we’ve all done it mate! I’ve got 3/4 in my port I wish I’d not been impulsive on. I think it just takes time and experience to know when to jump in and when to steer clear.

Starting to wonder if I’m an awful trader so could people tell me how bad my timing was with these players and what hope I have with them.Ziyech 3.58, van de beek 3.42, badiashile 1.54, son 2.78, boubacar kamara 1.17, cucerella 1.30, Willian 1.89, martial 3.17, Gabriel magahales 1.72, jota 2.82 and the list goes on.

Its easy to say with hindsight you bought on a peak in reality you don't know whether it will keep going.

Ziyech is interesting, not beyond realms of possibility he becomes a PB machine, we don't know until he starts playing.

Jota doesn't look a great trade now but Liverpool have a pretty good record buying 23 year old wingers so you never know.

Probably do need to think about entry points. When did you buy Jota ? Liverpool transfers often have a slow start so during their slow start is maybe best time to buy if you are going to.

@Richio yeah thing is I’m a relatively ok trader, just lost the run of myself with IPDs and van de beek I thought with him being united player he might go to 4 pound or so.

That's fine, least you had a legit reason and logic behind it. Longer you are on FI the better you judge this sort of thing. Had he got to £4 would you have sold ?

• brave to show your failings but remember its early days. always check their 1 year graph ( though of course there are other factors in play as well. by the way i got caught out on van de beek because i thought he might be like bruno for media.
    my strategy is to research a pool of players i like get a few shares in them at a decent price and then top up the players who are most down. to succeed in this you have to be sure of your judgement. Sometimes i havent had the courage. an example. In march or feb i got obsessed by the quality of hakan calhonoglu but others didnt seem interested or so convinced and i thought i must be wrong. i bought 10 anyway and have about 200% profit. ofcourse im never gonna put all my money on one players but imagine if i had.....anyway those players will recover. i actually think ziyech could be a mini de bruyne which at his age would make your price a good one. kamara is class and i think will end up at a bigger club. jota is capable of big pb if he gets full matches....best of luck

• I know a few people have said Van de Beek is dead, and you have bought at a high, so it is difficult, but you should still have an exit strategy.

Pogba couldn't be more blatant about wanting to move, if he does, there's a fair chance it could be in January. Hold VDB until then at least, if the rumours start and Pogba looks like leaving, you will be in with a chance of getting at least an extra £0.40p per share, as I imagine his playing time will increase, and with a goal, he will spike!!

• At some point VDB will win PB. Will you be monitoring enough to notice and to sell?

• @NewUser332703 De Bruyne and Kimmich are different, they are two of the top 4 PB earners last year, they may rise and fall but they will always win divs!

Only difference is Kimmich is 25, De Bruyne is 29 and Kimmich plays for a more dominant team (not just they but he plays equally as well in Defence or Midfield!)

In short, if you can, buy Kimmich...:)