Do your research

• This is advice that I see offered regularly on the forum and in broad terms it's sound. But if you work in the world of research, it's pretty hollow so far as advice goes.

Getting some perspective is essential for making trading decisions but the value of that perspective depends on where it comes from and who is offering it. Aside from the popular press I trawl transfermarkt and YouTube for player videos and the fi podcast. Oh and on occasion 5live European leagues football show. Im appealing to the forum to share just where it does it's research.

• @NewUser469373 said in Do your research:

This is advice that I see offered regularly on the forum and in broad terms it's sound. But if you work in the world of research, it's pretty hollow so far as advice goes.

Getting some perspective is essential for making trading decisions but the value of that perspective depends on where it comes from and who is offering it. Aside from the popular press I trawl transfermarkt and YouTube for player videos and the fi podcast. Oh and on occasion 5live European leagues football show. Im appealing to the forum to share just where it does it's research.

YouTube player skills videos are essentially! For performance stats, I use Footy Index Scout. It's completely free. WhoScored.com is good for in-play info, schedules, etc and stats too.

• Look into dividend history. There are some very good tips on here but there is also some dodgy recommendations - people talking up prime aged players who earnt nothing from media or performances last season. Past performance, assuming no major tactical changes and taking into account form and potential regression with age, is the best indicator of what is to come. I think you want to establish that the base of a player is sound and then look for indications of form, ability to do better etc (the eye test). xG and xA can be helpful in this respect.

• Too right, I spend hours doing research, then just buy Kimmich... :)

• It matters not if you are a good player, only if you are a good player on the index!

• @Marksandygill whether he's classified as a defender, midfielder or even a striker he'd still be top of my wants list😉

• @Marksandygill lol, if I wasn’t so sensible I’d just have about 50% Kimmich and 50% Lewandowski

• @NewUser469373 my advise would be a little different. Research is easy, there are numerous website and resources you can use to find players, to view stats and to get an incredible portfolio of talented players, but all this could still leave you with a semi-successful profit on FI.

My advice would be to yes, do the research, but don't just read information, don't think that finding a hidden gem, is going to make you win big.

The best research I have ever done within my year on FI has been reading comments on this forum, it has completed shifted my thinking when purchasing players.

Its not, who has the best YouTube skills videos, its thinking "well okay, he is scoring loads of goals, but why is he not winning PB?"

Look at the team he is within, look at his linking up play, does he score many points other than points for scoring goals?

And more importantly is there another PB king within the team, thats preventing his rise?

Haaland for example, at one point he was £7.90 odd per share. He scores goals for fun, but he rarely wins PB. He has dropped to £5.80 or so. Why? Well his game is to score, and he is good at that, but his link up play is terrible. Plus he is overshadowed within Dortmund by Sancho, who gobbles up all Media and PB.

Think about the players next move, it doesn't matter if they're on their way to Real Madrid or any other big team. Look at what they do within their current team, penalties, free kicks, corners, will they take them if they make a big move?

Its not as straight forward as looking at stats and videos, anyone can suck up information from the net, its thinking outside of stats, and more within the points system of FI.

• @UncleBeard all valid points but one thing I would say is players like Haaland and Mbappe, they shouldn't be written off as not having any PB game because if they're doing their jobs really well at such a young age, nothing to say they won't improve in other areas (look at Harry Kane for example who looks like he could be a big PB winner this year).

But everything you said is spot on, reading the forum alongside the standard research. Nothing better than experience as well, just buying a small amount in a player and seeing how the share reacts to certain things and get an idea of how much people are willing to pay and sell for. It's a patient process but it means you get to know that players price really well, you can then can know when it's time to sell and time to buy and refresh the IPD.

• @howsthebacon oh yes absolutely agree with you. Its a three year hold, we mustn't forget that.

Also a great point you are there, after everything else, the most profitable aspect is buying in at the right time and the right price, and the same with exiting too.

I often spend more time waiting to buy, than the combined time spent researching all my potentials purchases.

• @UncleBeard not sure how many others play the pragmatic approach like me but it can be good. Has it's downsides for example, I'll buy a few shares in a player to get a feel for his price, next thing you know he's shot up 10p and you missed out on making a nice profit. But sometimes if you just hold a player for a few weeks, small amount, you can get a good feel and then be more confident about when to properly invest.

Definitely something I'd recommend to new users now, especially with the volatile markets on weekends.