UK Circuit Breaker - Northern Ireland In Lockdown From Friday

• For those not following along...

The governments Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, (SAGE) are calling for a 2 week national lockdown, which they are terming "a circuit breaker".

Labour are backing SAGE, which means the Conservatives will come under a lot of pressure now, especially with the number of deaths rising and the number of COVID cases rising rapidly.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 08.50.38.png

It's worth remembering that the first lockdown had originally been intended to be a 2 week process, which turned into several months. Northern Ireland have already announced a 4 week lockdown starting Friday. They were faster to locking down than England last time too.

I know we're in the middle of a bonus scheme and I know that I'm viewed by some, as being a negative asshole, but if you're in a position where you need some of your FI money in time for Xmas, I'd strongly suggest you to consider your options.

Last time football was cancelled we saw a large drop and FI brought about 40% spreads to stop the exodus. Look at speed of which cases are rising and deaths follow the rise.

• Genuine question, if they were to apply a circuit breaker why would they cancel football? Hard to imagine that they would apply this to footy as there are no crowds in attendance and the safety measures in place are quite stringent..

• @Baydog Agreed, the issue with football was the crowds so that problem is solved. Just another workplace in my view.

Germany have started allowing crowds again but the international was played behind closed doors in Koln last night due to COIVD cases on the rise in the city.

• Informative post, but i'm almost certain football won't be being postponed.

If they do, then at most we'll see a two week break.

• @Baydog said in Circuit Breaker:

Genuine question, if they were to apply a circuit breaker why would they cancel football? Hard to imagine that they would apply this to footy as there are no crowds in attendance and the safety measures in place are quite stringent..

They might not. With teams being able to test, etc, I could easily see an argument for keeping football open but I can see a few solid arguments for closing football too, given that players live and travel from all over.

Many would also see it as ridiculous that people are being asked to sit at home and stay away from families and friends but millionaires are allowed to play football.

We have the Champions League coming up too but if the country is in lockdown are we going to let football teams coming in and out?

• Football would move into a bubble. Like the Cricket was this summer.

I think it's highly unlikely football stops even with a full lockdown.

• @Dan-The-Man

I think the Govt would want to maintain anything that keeps morale up and football would do this.. If the players were happy to continue I struggle to see any legit reason that govt would want to put the brakes on it again as it would do more damage than good to the folks stuck at home

• @Baydog said in Circuit Breaker:

@Dan-The-Man

I think the Govt would want to maintain anything that keeps morale up and football would do this.. If the players were happy to continue I struggle to see any legit reason that govt would want to put the brakes on it again as it would do more damage than good to the folks stuck at home

I hope you're right mate. I just remember saying that exact thing last time and it stung when I was wrong.

I've pulled out of a couple of holds that I'm certain were set to rise. The 2nd bonus round starts in 2 days... so it feels like exiting tight spread holds now, could give me some thinking time. If there's no sign of a lockdown before the end of that 2nd bonus... there's a way back in.

• its a risk. id say its unlikely footy gets cancelled... however, different to cricket its not stop start month on month off... its a full time commitment so the players wouldn't bubble from family etc.

also fans are the main issue... however, cases in players are increasing again... its ok while each team has one or two... but there will surely be pressure applied when a top team has 5 key players out for 2 weeks and scheduled to play 4-5 games?

lets hope it doesn't happen... but heed the risks.

• There is certainly a risk of games being cancelled - look at Genoa 17 cases or something.. It is impossible for players to remain in bubbles as they will have kids going to school etc like the rest of us.. I certainly wouldn't rule out the brakers being put on footy if there was a bad outbreak at one or more teams, but I do not think it would come from a Govt intervention and would likely just involve re-arranged fixtures as we've seen in Italy

• @Dan-The-Man Thankfully it’s not a lockdown in the same sense as before. They are closing schools for 2 week (one of which is half term) and pubs/restaurants for 4 weeks, apart from those that can provide takeaway.

Other than that it’s not a massive change to the current restrictions.

Retailers/gyms are still remaining open and there is no cancellation of elite sport. Hopefully this bodes well for England and the Prem, although Liverpool is obviously a worry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54533643

• @MikeWagner said in UK Circuit Breaker - Northern Ireland In Lockdown From Friday:

@Dan-The-Man Thankfully it’s not a lockdown in the same sense as before. They are closing schools for 2 week (one of which is half term) and pubs/restaurants for 4 weeks, apart from those that can provide takeaway.

Other than that it’s not a massive change to the current restrictions.

Retailers/gyms are still remaining open and there is no cancellation of elite sport. Hopefully this bodes well for England and the Prem, although Liverpool is obviously a worry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54533643

Yeah, following that link through to the NI Gov website for the full rules has this little tidbit:

"No indoor sport of any kind or organised contact sport involving household mixing other than at elite level"

I'd say that's quite comforting to read. Could be a signal for how the rest of the UK will act.

• The “Elite level” remark is positive news. Even if the worst comes to the worst and the football is postponed for a while, it’s unlikely to be anything as long as the first postponement as there are systems in place now and a better understanding of Covid. FI would likely run the MB promotion again, and then when it was safe to do so, football would return. FI have proven they can comfortably handle a postponement of football, so not that worried tbh.

• Don’t forget there’s 4 other leagues, it’s not just the EPL that FI revolves around 👍🏻

• @Valhalla said in UK Circuit Breaker - Northern Ireland In Lockdown From Friday:

The “Elite level” remark is positive news. Even if the worst comes to the worst and the football is postponed for a while, it’s unlikely to be anything as long as the first postponement as there are systems in place now and a better understanding of Covid. FI would likely run the MB promotion again, and then when it was safe to do so, football would return. FI have proven they can comfortably handle a postponement of football, so not that worried tbh.

If they did what you just suggested (and I agree they probably would), folks who have recently set their ports up for PB players would likely be stung given the market shift towards MB that would happen.

'Elite Sports' being treat differently, is great though, so hopefully it won't be impacted by strict measures.