PB - Watch Of The Day

• One of the greatest parts about having money on footballers, is how close it makes us pay attention to football. The Dream Team used to increase my enjoyment of football but the Index takes that to another level because aspects of football that I wouldn't have cared about previously are now super interesting to me.

My main watch of the day...

Fabinho vs Thiago
    I've written at length about my reasons for backing Fabinho and my belief that his dividend yield will be incredible this season. That belief, has always hinged on the idea that Fabinho is going to play in the middle of the park for Liverpool. He's not going to win PB often or MB often but that's a blessing because it keeps his price low and his yield high!

In the last year, which ever player occupied the CM position for Liverpool, out-PB'd his midfield team mates on the vast majority of occasions, not because they were prolific goal scorers or assist merchants... but simply because Klopp's system plays through the CM, particularly once Liverpool are dominating the game. This can be a lucrative piece of knowledge to have, especially on days where Liverpool are in the only match, such as UCL single game gold days.

Thiago's arrival at Liverpool, has put the cat amongst the pigeons. Some believed he would take Fabinho's spot in the middle, others believe that Thiago will dominate PB no matter where he plays.

Well TODAY's early game, the line-ups are announced and we'll finally get a chance to see how Klopp sets his team up, with Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson all starting together for the first time. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out and I'm going to be tracking this battle over the coming weeks/months to see if the addition of Thiago, has ruined my beloved Fabinho hold.

Everton are at home and have the most inform striker in the league, against Liverpool's B keeper who let in 7. Today's Merseyside derby will be incredible. (and kicks off in 5 minutes)

Set Pieces
    I'm also super curious to see Ziyech and Telles in the Premier League. If these guys take set pieces they could become PB giants, providing Ziyech can avoid injury and Man Utd can stop the goals flooding in.

Are you watching anyone closely today?

• @Dan-The-Man nice post mate, love the enthusiasm, don't hold either so don't really have an opinion

• I'm watching Fab too. Klopp really likes him and that's enough for me to like him too.
    My most exciting hold today though is ASM. I think he'll play up top paired with Wilson. ASM deserves his chance in a central role and if he can go past players in the middle of the pitch like he does on the flanks (which I'm sure he can), he'll cause carnage against a wobbly Utd tonight. I hope Maguire plays - ASM will put him on his arse.

• @Dan-The-Man
    What do you make of that midfield 3 so far? What roles are they occupying and what does it tell you for each’s season ahead? My feel is that you’re better on Hendo or Fab just on price. I don’t think Thiago will absolutely dominate PB regularly for them based on what I’ve seen so far. Will be fascinating to see their respective yields as it progresses.

I don’t hold any of the 3 for the record.

• @Dan-The-Man

Looks like Fabinhio is in that central pivot role as you predicted... He was quiet first half but he is doing a fair bit of mopping up in the second, and the keeper seems to be distributing it to him a fair bit too

• @Specksynder said in PB - Watch Of The Day:

@Dan-The-Man
    What do you make of that midfield 3 so far? What roles are they occupying and what does it tell you for each’s season ahead? My feel is that you’re better on Hendo or Fab just on price. I don’t think Thiago will absolutely dominate PB regularly for them based on what I’ve seen so far. Will be fascinating to see their respective yields as it progresses.

I don’t hold any of the 3 for the record.

I mean, we're 55 minutes to a single game ha... and this is a weird game too because VVD has been subbed off early with injury, now Robertson is hurt so might come off once Milner is warmed up.

I say that, because quite often, Klopp subs off the RCM/LCM around the 65th, which helps the CM get the lead but that's probably not going to be the case today.

So far though, Fabinho slipped whilst trying to score a worldy ha Thiago looks silky and has had plenty of attacks. He took a set piece earlier which could easily have been an assist had it gone right.

We're gonna have to see the data a couple of months from now, to have an idea... Thiago almost bagged one of the best volleys I've ever seen connected. Very impressive.

I wonder if we'll see Fabinho at CB next game with Van Dijk out.

• @Dan-The-Man

Thiago looks like he will be a PB force with his general pass and move style, but I am pleased he is not in the central pivot role.. Fabinhio is often loitering on the edge of the box on attacks, every time they go forward I am willing the ball to be cleared out and drop to him!

• @Baydog said in PB - Watch Of The Day:

@Dan-The-Man

Thiago looks like he will be a PB force with his general pass and move style, but I am pleased he is not in the central pivot role.. Fabinhio is often loitering on the edge of the box on attacks, every time they go forward I am willing the ball to be cleared out and drop to him!

Yeah if only Fabinho hand't slipped earlier ha...

One slight difference Thiago seems to have brought, which could be impactful... is that Liverpool would usually pass around the back more... they'd pass out to the left, then bring it all the way back round to the right, usually via Fabinho... then play one over the top. With Thiago though... he is more attacking , and rather than go around the back to play the pass, he gets his head up and puts the ball in.

Like I say, it's just one game and it's early doors but Thiago is looking pretty tasty in the Liverpool squad.

Fabinho off on the 90th with Liverpool chasing.

All that and Hendo popped up with the goal, jumped into 200+ PB ha, until the Everton fan on VAR stepped in.

• @NewUser570369 doubt Bruce will change the system, ASM will be out wide but with a license to do what the fuck he wants when he gets the ball. He can go a bit quiet against bigger teams but...this is United no reason why we can't go for it.

• @howsthebacon said in PB - Watch Of The Day:

@NewUser570369 doubt Bruce will change the system, ASM will be out wide but with a license to do what the fuck he wants when he gets the ball. He can go a bit quiet against bigger teams but...this is United no reason why we can't go for it.

That went well then.

• @Palmyblue11-23 reminds me of a similar game we played against United - Gayle scored early and whenever we score early we just sit back and soak up the pressure til we inevitably concede. Based on the 11 Ole put out, I thought we could've done better to be fair but there was still clearly a gulf in quality (150m worth of midfielders coming off the bench - ouch). I'm also not sure why we didn't just bring Darlow off, by no means his fault for the goals but if he was clearly injured, surely a fully fit keeper would've stood a better chance? Ah well we capitulated towards the end which was disappointing but it's United, a team who 'should' be beating us like that but you just never know with them these days.

And as for ASM, classic performance. Electrifying at moments in the first half and then when United started playing well and dominating possession, we sat back and he struggled to get in the game, almost anonymous second half. I feel he tires himself out early on with too many pointless dribbles, needs to be smart with the ball but I do feel for him, not many others to share the burden of creativity.

• @howsthebacon said in PB - Watch Of The Day:

@Palmyblue11-23 reminds me of a similar game we played against United - Gayle scored early and whenever we score early we just sit back and soak up the pressure til we inevitably concede. Based on the 11 Ole put out, I thought we could've done better to be fair but there was still clearly a gulf in quality (150m worth of midfielders coming off the bench - ouch). I'm also not sure why we didn't just bring Darlow off, by no means his fault for the goals but if he was clearly injured, surely a fully fit keeper would've stood a better chance? Ah well we capitulated towards the end which was disappointing but it's United, a team who 'should' be beating us like that but you just never know with them these days.

And as for ASM, classic performance. Electrifying at moments in the first half and then when United started playing well and dominating possession, we sat back and he struggled to get in the game, almost anonymous second half. I feel he tires himself out early on with too many pointless dribbles, needs to be smart with the ball but I do feel for him, not many others to share the burden of creativity.

ASM reminds me so much of Traore,both have undoubted ability but their inconsistencies is what stops them from really pushing on and becoming really top quality players.
    Agree with your point about Darlow, not at fault for any of the goals - in fact he was one of the better players on the day - but he was clearly hampered, maybe it's just that Bruce doesn't have the confidence in Gillespie

• @Palmyblue11-23 yeah they're different in certain aspects like Traore is physically a beast where as ASM is quite fragile at times but in terms of their end product and consistency very similar. Both have the potential to be top top players - Traore has a much better coach working with him and he's in the National squad so he should kick on more in the next year or so but I believe ASM has more technical ability.