friend starting port/suggestions

• a friend of mine is starting an account in Fi. i want to give him some suggestions with variety of holds of different prices and type so that he can observe how things go.
    the value would be about £200 maybe £300. we have decided to go for low shares in about 20 players. ive got ideas ( too many options!) but would appreciate any further ideas.
    im thinking a core of pb/mb players ( maybe half) with budget / value options in there and something which will guarantee profit of some kind to keep him interested. Of course there are no guarantees but have said i would be surprised if he doesnt make 20% profit in 12 months. i dont think this is setting his expectations too high. gonna include some of the top cap app youth prospects too

again. any opinions would be welcomed
    cheers

• Hi, although picking the right players is key I feel sticking to a strategy is the most important thing and remaining patient. I personally set up Sell Offers straight away on all players I purchase with the target dependent on what I paid per share.

6F8C2610-3909-40BF-824E-9B8484FF76DC.jpeg

• @Stuart-H interesting idea. so i imagine there wouldnt be too many long term holds there. im surprised you would settle for such a low profit on a more expensive player. i may have to review my selling strategy but for now i just want to get the guy going and seeing that there is profit. i wouldnt advise him to get any players that would be short term sells unless they have a great performance ( though each case is different). i think it might be good to get him enough players to allow him to see how things work and what effects prices etc. great idea to think about though

• Well it’s a relatively new strategy I’ve adopted but works well for me. So yeah no long term holds, small and frequent profits. Also I never pay the asking price, always put an offer in so I start in a positive position. Generally one good performance and I hit target. I have plenty of players on my watchlist I generally line it up so as soon as a profit has been made it’s onto the next one.
    For your friend it’ll take time to get to grips with things and making a few mistakes will benefit him in the long run. Perhaps invest half his money on picks you agree and then let him invest the second half on his own.

• @Stuart-H nice idea

• i would probably say 20 players is too many - i think you could easily cut that down to 10 and say £20 per player and however many shares that buys then thats what you get.

if it were me and i was starting out with £200 i would be looking at a range of players within certain values (i dont see much point him buying anyone much over £2 personally - however that is just my opinion. once he gets used to the game he can build up to those types of players even if its just 1 at a time.

i would buy 5 player £0.40 - £1 and 5 players £1-£2... dont take any risks, dont buy any youngsters yet to break through. 10 solid performers who play each week and that will give him a solid interest. i could give some examples but i'm sure you could probably cover that

• @G27 yeah basically my thinking though i think i may think about 5 shares in someone like messi/kimmitch because there should be some guarantee of divs there

• @G27 players in my mind:
    tej savanier
    arnold
    canales
    robertson
    parejo
    pulgar
    papu gomez
    belotti
    jonas hoffman
    romagnoli
    steffen
    niane ( injury price)
    kulusevski
    odergard
    grifo ( undervalued)
    renato sanches
    bouna sarr ( should see rise on appearances)

apart from the obvious messi/kimmitch/ kdb types if can afford
    obviously not all of these but to select from

• @jonathan-rolfe

I'd add these to the list of options - decent price/involvement/minutes

Fabian Ruiz
    Mikel Oyarzabal
    Leon Goretzka
    Lorenzo Pellegrini
    Dwight Mcneil
    Nicolo Barella
    Milot Rashica
    Justin Kluivert

• @jonathan-rolfe

decent list - id avoid Niane - or players with injuries, although i think hes good value, you want to keep your friend interested from the start and he'll be out injured for a while

• @G27 nice suggestions. they are all holds i have. forgot about luis alberto too

• like these

tej savanier
    robertson
    parejo
    pulgar
    belotti
    jonas hoffman
    kulusevski
    odergard
    grifo ( undervalued)
    renato sanches
    bouna sarr ( should see rise on appearances)

• @G27 infact i topped up on rashica this morning

• Berardi if you can get him closer to £2 is great value, even at his market buy I think he is but his price does tend to drop close to £2 on a post game dip.

• @howsthebacon yeah great hold

• @jonathan-rolfe fingers crossed for tonight, got a feeling he might bring home the bacon!

• @jonathan-rolfe @howsthebacon

can i just say - whilst you 2 are on the same feed/post. i know you both joined this year - whilst ive been fairly quiet on here after a complicated 2020, i have still monitored the forum and i think you 2 particularly have been really valuable and great additions. really appreciate the enthusiasm, your attitudes remind me of when i started which i'm hoping is where the forum gets back to and i think it bodes well to other users who read your comments. its great to get back to talking about which players we are investing in and who eachother believes are great holds. thanks for your input :)

• @G27 cheers mate, really appreciate that. I think a lot of the people who started when I did have maybe ducked out after so many changes to the product and Brown Sunday, but I was always going to stick it out and I think I'm starting to reap the benefits. Port is back in a comfortable position and winning regular divs. There are a few other good contributors who I know started at a similar time @Palmwa43 @Richio and @RManny23 although he doesn't post much on the forum.

I've always continued to talk about the football throughout all the drama but still up for a debate on the product as a whole - it just gets a bit boring when people are saying the same thing over and over.

• @howsthebacon I'm the same and also stuck it out. I'm now coming through the other side with my port in a good place and dividends coming in regularly. Everything is moving in the right direction and despite a few more bumps in the road to come, I'm happy and confident.

Patience and more understanding of the product was/is essential.

• @howsthebacon I appreciate the nod mate. And to @jonathan-rolfe , Kramaric, Kramaric and Kramaric. Price slightly down now as he has COVID but I’d expect him to be back shortly.