Advice for noobie

• Hi. I'm new to FI and it was only after I started investing that I realised that there is far more under the surface than it first seems through FI itself. There seems to be all sorts of statistical resources but very little by way of explanations of what it all means.

Is there a guide anywhere that explains how FI works today and what upcoming changes to be aware of... Basic tactics and general advice for new people?

Also any suggestions for podcasts that deal more with players and trades rather than hour long discussions about the future of the platform and if those behind it are listening to the community?

• @SchizoFI have you read the all things football index thread that's pinned to the top, that covers a lot of the question you'll probably have but is out of date in some areas

Are there specific things you want to know?

• @SchizoFI when I joined FI I found reading through the forum very useful. Although at the moment a lot of threads get derailed, I would ignore them and move on to the next one. You can pick up good info on terminology, what people look for in a player, what players are good for the 'matrix', trading styles etc. Also generally asking questions about specific things you want to know, usually gets you a good answer.

• I agree that reading through the forum is a good place to start. There are also pinned articles for new starters. The academy section is also useful and explains how FI works and how to get dividends etc.

It does feel like information overload to start with. There’s also some YouTube guides which should give you a grasp of things.

PB stands for Performance Buzz, MB means Media Buzz. You win dividends on your player if your players wins either of these.

To add to this there is also Team of the Month (TOTM).

There are multiple trading strategies but in my opinion to start with you should go for players who will give you regular returns whilst you learn the platform. If you look at the TOTM results the same names appear again and again.

The bottom line is you you want to make a profit and get a return on investment ROI more than 100%, any dividend earned plus any resale income . Players are eligible for dividends for three years and I believe that FI are introducing time stamps on when players 3yrs are up. Until that point keep a record of purchase date so you can keep track of when the players initial 30 day IPD expires and 3 year term expires. I also keep a spreadsheet on player value and overall costs.

With IPD’s there is an opportunity to make income on goals scored /assists and clean sheets for GK for first 30 days. This can be a stand alone trading strategy. Keep an eye on if FI introduce another 5xIPD promotion.

We all want to find the next world star and even some of the 17 year old players are £6 to £7, their price reflects their potential.

The likes of Bruno/Kimmich are fairly safe holds, should give decent returns in three years and have resale value at end of those three years.

By reading through the forum you will see a bit of blatant pumping of players, they want you to buy the players they own but there are also contributors who provide sound advice. For transparency I hold the two players above but it’s widely known that these players are solid. Obviously you need to look at value, the higher value players need to earn more to make a return.

Use this forum to ask specific questions as well. Good luck.

• Have a search for the Data Centre that FI recently set up....on my phone so cant link it but thete was a thread about it. Its still at trial stage but has PB and MB winners listed along with graphs for every player showing weekly scores etc

• @SchizoFI said in Advice for noobie:

Hi. I'm new to FI and it was only after I started investing that I realised that there is far more under the surface than it first seems through FI itself. There seems to be all sorts of statistical resources but very little by way of explanations of what it all means.

Is there a guide anywhere that explains how FI works today and what upcoming changes to be aware of... Basic tactics and general advice for new people?

Also any suggestions for podcasts that deal more with players and trades rather than hour long discussions about the future of the platform and if those behind it are listening to the community?

Re podcasts.

The Round table tends to be more player orientated and has a panel so you get more opinions. Obviously do you own research etc but it's the best of the podcasts. The others are getting a bit samey.

Not a podcast but the Sunday service is a Sunday YouTube thing from John nellis. Lots of waffle but people ring in and chat about who they have bought, who is worth buying etc. I quite enjoy it but it's pump central so just assume everyone has an agenda

• @SDOAFIT
    Re General advice.

Start small. Very small. Have a look at the risers and fallers. Has anyone jumped a lot or dropped a lot, if so think about why. If you arent sure then find out why. Keep doing that and try and understand why players move in price.

Second. Don't be left holding the baby. If someone has jumped a quid today don't blindly follow everyone else because there will be a lot of people ready to profit take. Its a bad old world and people want your money.

Third. Think ahead. Who will people want next month, next year and so on. When the season ends what do you think will happen. Have exit points. It's better to buy someone before other people want them than than when they do want them. Some stuff you can't predict but others you can.

With dividends, when you look at the yields think about whether they are repeatable. If someone is top of the media yields, it might look attractive but is that sustainable. Is it due to something that has gone and unlikely to return.

• My main tip which I wasn't too au fait with when I first started due to people promoting ("pumping") their players is to be wary of buying anyone from non-PB eligible leagues!

My other one is to diversify - whether that's players across multiple leagues, in multiple positions, in different age brackets, solely PB, solely MB etc. Some people say to concentrate your holdings, which I agree with to an extent (little point holding 5 shares in a player) but that is also concentrating your risk early on.

• As a relative newbie, one thing I've done recently is add loads of players to the watchlist and just monitor their prices, not because I'm planning to buy them but to help learn how prices can change and just see if my hunches would've worked out without actually risking any money. I've already got a reasonable portfolio, some good, some bad, and happy with my level of exposure but this helps me continue to "play" the game.

• @Two-Sheds this guy knows the deal - good advice and advice I'd give myself if I could go back. I also like to buy one share in a player and monitor the IS price and get an idea of how that reacts to different situations. Once you get a good idea of what price a player normally drops to on a bad game and what he can spike to on a PB challenging performance for example, you can start to top up at the right times and sell for profit when possible.

• Not sure I can give too much trading advice, given a blind gibbon with tendonitis could have made more money with my deposits than I have. But some basics, which might be too basic for the OP...

• read the Game Rules
    • read the Game Rules
    • try and read the next trend, if you're part of the FOMO then you're probably too late and paying top price
    • order books mean supply and demand dynamics are more accute than ever. Selling is difficult, you need to plan exit points based on expected demand
    • Underlying intrinsic value is more important than ever right now. Trading on sentiment is not going to be as profitable as it was pre OBs
    • work out how much time you have to spend on FI. If you have lots of time then short term trading can be very profitable, but you need to be on it, or plan carefully
    • patience in your holds, trust your instincts if they are good holds
    • PATIENCE!
    • Soak up as much info as you can from decent traders on here, but do your own research!!
    • Oh yeah, and have fun. Great product that is multi-layered and revolves around footy... it's a beautiful thing.

Ps. Gamble responsibly.

• Can u cancel a bid to buy or sell once confirmed

• @NewUser151265 yes you can...where are you trying to do it? App of browser?

App, swipe the bid and it gives cancel option

Web, click the 'x' next to the the bid

• @NewUser151265 said in Advice for noobie:

Can u cancel a bid to buy or sell once confirmed

We are almost related

1. Sell your house
    2. Buy Bruno
    3. Buy a new house with dividends
    4. Sell Bruno
    5. Sell your house
    6. Buy a mansion

In all serious though:

I know it’s a cliche, but do your research before buying anyone. A good player in real life may not be a good player on FI.

But a few must haves:

Kimmich, Bruno Fernandes, Harry Kane, Lewandowski, Ramos, Upamecano and Andy Robertson.

That’s 2 in each position and a good balance between PB, MB, Up and Young/Prime/Vetran. Lewandowski and Ramos being the most affordable.

Don’t take my word for it though....do the research. 👍

• @NewUser610639 I'd second all of the guys you've said but then again I hold em all apart from Upamecano. I would be cautious when pumping Bruno though. No doubt great PB and although waning, still has MB on his side - but at his price he's not a player I'd be pumping as a sure thing purely because he is pretty expensive and we're relying on sentiment and further investment for him to jump up in price. If the market stays how it is now, more chance of him dropping slightly than increasing. Whereas the others are probably at the opposite end and also pose less risk due to being cheaper.

That said, I do hold Bruno at around 7.50 and I thought that was a fair price so any profit is a bonus and if he drops below that I'll continue to happily hold.

• @SchizoFI forum, podcast, and YouTube have beginner videos on FI 👍🏻

• Visit the Academy and check out the rules/advice there.

Note that you can only win Match Day Dividends on Eligible Matches - Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Champions League, Europa League, World Cup, UEFA European Championship and UEFA European Championship Qualifiers.

One of my early mistakes was buying Juan Mata on the cheap thinking that he would play in the FA Cup and EFL Cup, but those competitions aren't eligible for IPD.

Players are only eligible for IPD for 30 days, so check the fixtures list. Players with lots of favourable (easy) fixtures have more chance of scoring or keeping a clean sheet. If you are interesting in flipping low cost players bear in mind that selling on a spike in play and then buying back at a lower price the following day is sometimes worth more than the dividend.

Check whether it is a Bronze, Silver or Gold Match Day, eg. this Friday only has 5 matches making it a Silver Match Day. Fewer players eligible for Match Day Dividends makes it easier to pick the winner.

• @howsthebacon said in Advice for noobie:

@NewUser610639 I'd second all of the guys you've said but then again I hold em all apart from Upamecano. I would be cautious when pumping Bruno though. No doubt great PB and although waning, still has MB on his side - but at his price he's not a player I'd be pumping as a sure thing purely because he is pretty expensive and we're relying on sentiment and further investment for him to jump up in price. If the market stays how it is now, more chance of him dropping slightly than increasing. Whereas the others are probably at the opposite end and also pose less risk due to being cheaper.

That said, I do hold Bruno at around 7.50 and I thought that was a fair price so any profit is a bonus and if he drops below that I'll continue to happily hold.

I thought the same not so long ago, but i think he is a safe hold until after the Euro’s. I expect his IS to stay in the £8-£8.80 range . He’s able to perform badly, but as soon as he has one good performance he wins PB and MB. The media are all over him after a good game.

• Thanks for the replies... I'm slowly working through them and looking up the suggestions. If people don't mind answering, how much did you all invest to start with or say, I er the first 3 months. Asking as a general rule seems to be that you need to have quite a lot of shares in anyone player while also being advised to spread it out... Seems a very quick and easy way to be several thousand deep.