Between the Spreads

• Hi All,

I was looking for advice in terms of trading between the spreads. I know the concept of buying with lowball(ish) bids, and then accepting higher bids in anticipation of a matchday or other events. So, I knoe what to do, but the confidence of working like this isnt quite there for me, and Im unsure why!

Any tips with regards to certain types of players/teams to attempt this with, or anything else which has gone straight over my head would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies in advance if there are many other threads about this or ample info elsewhere. Please dont shoot me down. I come in peace.

Thanks

• @Leclerc I'm finding it difficult to do at the moment with the way the market is but it's quite easy to do as long as you make sure you're picking up players that if the right offer doesn't come, you're happy to stick with.

Some players I like to trade between the spreads (when sentiment is better):

Salah
    Mane
    Aubemayang
    Lukaku
    Zapata

I would generally find players who regularly start and get goals/assists with an outside chance of some PB. I wouldn't look to do this on any player over 3.50. Salah would drop to around 3.15 after the weekend then rise to 3.4/3.5 on match days for example.

At the moment though most these players are dropping more than they usually would and then not really rising on match days so the current market is a bit too unpredictable for me to continue this.

• @howsthebacon , thank you for this mate, any help is much appreciated. I thought I would try and dabble by leaving some bids in for PB league strikers under 28, hoping I can gain maybe a 15-20% flip just by instant selling before their next match kicks off. Hope this pays off!

From that list, Zapata seems more appealing given the less commission, and playing for a goal-laden team!

• @Leclerc agree with @howsthebacon, I've found it easier at the cheaper end usually goal scorers but only in small volumes skimming off the top bids a few at a time. For example I picked up Ings last night at @79p which was the lowest bid, he earned 2p divs and I've already to sell a few at 85p this morning, literally like 5. Realistically I've just got lucky there and probably will not be able to sell at profit until before Southampton next match. Managed to the same with Jao Pedro as well. Its a pain but if you can 5 -10% on each trade it all helps at the moment.

• @Wynnston wait didn't Ings get injured as well?

• @howsthebacon I just heard on Talksport that he had a scan following yesterday and Southampton were braced for the worst - but it seems its not too bad and he's should be back shortly.

• @Wolvesfan1980 yeah I heard it wasn't too bad but @Wynnston did well to profit on him even after he got the knock.

• @howsthebacon haha that is why we should all be careful before making a trade I had no idea he picked up a knock. I am out already, only made a small profit but every little helps right

• Yes, I wouldn't take that Ings example as a blueprint - people were ISing because they thought he'd done an ACL or similar. (I too didn't realise that and bought in at 79p as it happens so lucky that it doesn't look too bad!)

But goalscorers is perhaps a good shout, buy in low then sell on a goal or two. I'm sure there's a good way to do with keepers too but I've found their price dynamics a bit confusing - IS and market price often drop after a clean sheet!

• I think the whole market is screwed at the moment because of the way the bids and offers are setup.

If you want to Sell (Offer) your player to the market, you can do so at the current buy price, or you can instant sell.

If you want to Buy (Bid) for a player then you can put a bid in at 75% of his value, or buy now.

In my opinion, this has basically killed the market. Nobody who is aware of the situation will do a Buy now, because you can get them up to 25% cheaper (if you're willing to wait a bit)! That means that someone who wants to sell a player basically has to use the instant sell button... usually at a big loss!

This locked in issue is causing traders to not want to buy players because it's locking up more cash in a declining portfolio. Confidence has been lost.

However, there are some that have a strong hope for the future and are putting bids in at 20-25% below the price and waiting for people to give up and sell, with the aim that the market recovers and they make a big profit somewhere in the future. This cycle is slowly driving the market and profits of all dealers downhill.

The 1p offer drop is keeping prices afloat, but if they cut that minimum bid to 5 or 10% of the buy price then the spreads would bring greater confidence in terms of buying players again.

To actually talk about the question - the inability to offer shares (much) below the buy price and the lack of general buys means the spread is so large that it's hard to get any trades in between the two values. Maybe the updates will help - we need them soon!

• anyone got that website that tracks the IS price handy pls ???

• @Mere-Mortal Yes and no.

Yes you can place cheap bids in and get lucky and get them, but that dosnt mean you will always get them, depends on who is willing to sell at those prices. I can assure you tho, Ive had top bids in on players and still didnt get a bite, its your donald duck sometimes.

Like buying cars at xmas, when people have a good motivation to sell you can pick them up for next to nothing, if they have no real reason to sell tho, it could be asking price of very close if you actually want it.

Tho I do think the market will decline a bit further before it bottoms out.

• Trading on the lower end between spreads can be so advantageous, although works best at a lower rate of investment. I recommended picking a few players with some decent IPD potential. Buy them a few days before their next match following a blank and then play the waiting game. Invest just a little to begin with, and watch how the market reacts over the week . I've found certain players follow similar patterns and you can make decent money without even owning them for games.

• @Mere-Mortal said in Between the Spreads:

I think the whole market is screwed at the moment because of the way the bids and offers are setup.

If you want to Sell (Offer) your player to the market, you can do so at the current buy price, or you can instant sell.

If you want to Buy (Bid) for a player then you can put a bid in at 75% of his value, or buy now.

In my opinion, this has basically killed the market. Nobody who is aware of the situation will do a Buy now, because you can get them up to 25% cheaper (if you're willing to wait a bit)! That means that someone who wants to sell a player basically has to use the instant sell button... usually at a big loss!

This locked in issue is causing traders to not want to buy players because it's locking up more cash in a declining portfolio. Confidence has been lost.

However, there are some that have a strong hope for the future and are putting bids in at 20-25% below the price and waiting for people to give up and sell, with the aim that the market recovers and they make a big profit somewhere in the future. This cycle is slowly driving the market and profits of all dealers downhill.

The 1p offer drop is keeping prices afloat, but if they cut that minimum bid to 5 or 10% of the buy price then the spreads would bring greater confidence in terms of buying players again.

To actually talk about the question - the inability to offer shares (much) below the buy price and the lack of general buys means the spread is so large that it's hard to get any trades in between the two values. Maybe the updates will help - we need them soon!

The situation is:

-Buyers can buy for market price or try and get the best deal by putting a bid in
    -Sellers can sell for sell price or try and get the best deal and list to market

What is basically happening is that buyers are negotiating and sellers aren't which is strange. Reverse the situation - if sellers didn't click instant sell then buyers would have no option but to buy now if they want the player.

If a player is on low sentiment then can understand selling. But players of a good age performing well, its ludicrous for sellers to be hitting instant sell. In this scenario sellers should have the power and can demand higher prices but they don't.

• @SDOAFIT I think people jump in and hope for quick div returns and when one bad game happens they shit themselves. Everyone fears another crash I reckon so they dont leave money in players and hold cash balances. I could be very wrong tho

• @AndydfopT I think you're right. Although, if we're not in the midst of a crash, then what is this???!!

I have seen "cash is king" a few times on social and on here, seems people are keeping a cash balance waiting for the full force of a crash during the internationals.

• @SDOAFIT said in Between the Spreads:

The situation is:

-Buyers can buy for market price or try and get the best deal by putting a bid in
    -Sellers can sell for sell price or try and get the best deal and list to market

What is basically happening is that buyers are negotiating and sellers aren't which is strange. Reverse the situation - if sellers didn't click instant sell then buyers would have no option but to buy now if they want the player.

If a player is on low sentiment then can understand selling. But players of a good age performing well, its ludicrous for sellers to be hitting instant sell. In this scenario sellers should have the power and can demand higher prices but they don't.

Sellers can't negotiate because they can't sell shares for less than 1p below the buy price. All of the power is with the buyers. If you're a seller, you either hold and hope that prices don't crash too far, or you sell at the instant sell price.

The only players unaffected are the very small portion that are regularly making dividends. Even, young players that have a great future are going downhill. Investment for the gain on a player's value is not a thing at the moment, but hopefully that will be restored at some point soon.